Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Amarkov posted:

Have you ever seen Jack Chick's little comics? There's a sizable contingent of people who literally believe that incanting the words of faith triggers the spell of rebirth Jesus sealed when he died.

This is pretty much correct. There is entering heaven through deeds (Catholicism) where good actions and being forgiven get you into heaven. Entering heaven by predestination (Calvinism) where the people who are going to heaven are absolutely going and the people going to hell are going either way and this is decided before you're born. And finally, entering heaven through being saved and born again where the only condition of getting into heaven is by telling God that you've been born again (Evangelical Protestants and by proxy, most of America's Christians).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Pfirti86 posted:

Saw this posted on a local news website comment section:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the only reason Japan didn't invade a country ~6000 miles away across an enormous ocean was due to hunters.

Also, this seems to imply that we can completely cut our entire military out of the budget, thanks to the fact that "The hunters of those four states alone would
comprise the largest army in the world. The point? America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower." Sweet, that'll save us a lot of trouble and money.

Am I forgetting my American education or were our 2 million troops not in Germany in December of 1941? Also, wouldn't able-bodied men who were drafted to fight the Nazis 1941 make up most of the hunting licenses? I'm starting to think some of these emails aren't properly scrutinized before being sent out.

Edit: beaten like the Japanese army would have been if they'd invaded Michigan in 1941.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

That was fabulously well-written and even if you may have started out a little harsh, I hope that this person actually does critically analyze his own beliefs.

You didn't remark on one of the more interesting parts of his writing which is his insistence that suffering is necessary for those on welfare. I'm not sure where it comes from but there's this mentality that in order to succeed we must suffer and if we're not suffering then we're meant to feel guilty about it. It might come from being American, it might come from being Christian or it might come from being a capitalist. It ties in very well with the old chestnut of the rich being the hardest workers and the poor being lazy since the rich suffer through their hard work and the poor must have chosen not to work hard since they're obviously not successful.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Careful viewers will note that the [strike]harlot[/strike] girl was trying to lure him in the back door, both literally and symbolically.

Also, are they about to gently caress right there on the altar? That seems like pretty blatant sacrilege, regardless of your beliefs.

Edit: And that bear sounds like Steven Wright

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

5 periods and 2 commas in that entire spiel. It's written stream of consciousness faster than he's thinking it.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

tvb posted:

Another Facebook gem from one of my racist-rear end in-laws:

Well the day I have been wating for so long to come is finally here tomorrow. Even if my guy loses, I will no longer post political messages. When I was younger and did not pay attention, I did not get so caught up in all this and it did not matter so much. At least I thought it did not. But now that I am to the point where I am planning for retirement, I am seeing that politics has a much big
ger effect on my life than I thought when I was younger. For years presidents did not really effect our lives that much, mainly because they were mainstream in their thinking. What I mean by that is they thought like most of us, whether it be Democrat or Republican. Unfortunately this president has been so liberal in his views and his politics and he has managed to implement policies, even without the approval of congress and ignoring the rule of law, that are so outside the mainstream and actually hurt people in many ways. I know people who cheat the government now, and feel they deserve it. How does this happen? Because the president elected by the majority has a re-distribution mindset, and has relaxed the food stamp requirements and the government doesn't even care if you are trying to help yourself, it is all about votes. When I was younger and trying to make ends meet in the military, I was below the poverty level for sure and could not access government help no matter what. Now people lie on their food stamp application and laugh all the way through the check out line at Walmart. What a dam shame. When I look back at 2008, I have to say I read about this candidate and I knew enough about his past which told me I did not want this person having any impact on me and my family's lives. Minorities did not elect Obama. Poor people did not elect Obama. There was enough people like you and me out there that did not even bother doing any research and fell for his hope and change and all the other crap he was slinging at you through a main stream media that would not vett him and still will not even tell you about the incompetence of his administration and the hurt it has caused, including the deaths of really great people just trying to chase a dream. I hope those that voted for him last election do some real research this time and do not vote on all that hope and change crap like in 2008. I bet I could sit down with any of you who did vote for him and list the things that I refer to as bad for the country and you would actually agree. But will you vote for him again? That is the real question. When you pull that lever I hope you think about even one thing, like the in excess of $200,000 every working man and woman over 18 in this country now owes towards the federal deficit he has run up over a four year period. This can all change and I really hope when you vote you that you vote for real reasons and if you vote for Obama that you vote for him because you understand his policies and the harm it will continue to do for the rest of your life. If the majority of the voters actually re-elect this president, then they deserve the outcome which will be something you never even imagined, just like the last four years but far worse. I doubt that many that voted for him even fathomed what he was going to do over the last four years. So go vote and think about Uncle Gary bitching an moaning about the stupid election. If he gets re-elected everybody will be bitching and moaning for a long time to come. Lastly, no matter who wins the election, Obama will be dealt with by an honest congress. See ya.

It sounds like your uncle really misses Osama Bin Laden :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

Minimum contribution to the workplace is maybe the most offensive thing in that image. Skills and education are a product of society and motivation is just a petty personal attack displaying a lack of understanding reality and misfortunate circumstances, but minimum contribution? Apparently earning the company a profit by underpaying you the value of your work is a minimum contribution.

So let's just raise the minimum wage? They'd still be getting the minimum amount, it would just be higher.