Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I mean, they also clearly didn't consider the fact that MV is a summer vacation spot for the rich; the people there now are just like... regular people. You didn't dump them on Obama's front lawn in front of him; you dumped them on some guy who runs the Clam Shack from Memorial Day to Labor Day and a snow plow business from December to February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Man, my timelines are filled with “rainbow fentanyl” articles and pictures but never any of the actual fentanyl.

This is gotten around by having them say that they have pill presses marked with other pills, in order to "sneak it past" or whatever.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

I always love "McDonald's is a job for high school kids! Find a real job if you're an adult!". So.... You only want McDonald's open from 4pm to 8pm every night?

I want everything now, when I want it, but any time anyone implies taht I may have to make a sacrifice for that or acknolwedge someone else's humanity I'm going to say something even stupider.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Dameius posted:

It's only greed when those people do it, otherwise it's just sparkling ambition.

(((those))) people.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Wait I thought it was "hustle"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Those things aren't new. I think any store who wants them most likely has them. They had these at the Albertsons I worked at in 2004.

Those have been in Stop and Shops around here since I was in high school in the early 2000s.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

As a southerner myself, may I take the moment to say :lmao:

Southern Man, better keep your head.
Don't forget what the good book said.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

It's interesting for me, I'm closer to my parents now than when I was younger not because I moved right but because my parents moved left. At least one of them has expressed a desire for complete universal loan forgiveness and a UBI.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Found on Bluesky:

https://bsky.app/profile/mattbinder.bsky.social/post/3kaulrna5e72r

https://www.reddit.com/r/Landlord/comments/16xbckq/tenant_usa_is_my_landlord_allowed_to_do_this/

TL;DR: guy posts that his landlord is turning off all the power to the building for two hours tomorrow because he believes in some weird version of the "The EAS test is going to 5G vaccine something something" bullshit.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

But why wouldn't the tur-ists attack the Pigshit County Local Cheese Festival and County Elections? Almost 400 people show up most years.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

This is the quintisential conservative. No evidence for a thing taht they just made up, no idea why people do the thing he disagrees with, but just adamant it must exist.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

A lot of the kind of people who start a business aren't starting a business because they like running a subway or a phone repair place or whatever. They're doing it because they want to be the boss, and part of being the boss is being able to deny people money.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

Uhhh if this hadn't been my uncle I would have thought it parody.

gently caress me I'm so BBBY poisoned I immediately thought this was an ape meme.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Dameius posted:

The UK operates under admiralty law as a corporation you see...

What is an island but a really big stationary boat?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

so what about mile big water bodys and the how ships coming in and out of LoS?

or you know any other supposed flat piece of ground.

Dan goes into that in the video, but I believe the answer he was given was "You must've done it wrong, pray on it and try the test again", or as Olson put it, "Pray the curve away".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Roads were much safer back then because everyone just assumed that all other drivers were drunk, so they were more careful in traffic.

We could still have that. Make it so that at certain hours on Friday and Saturday nights you can drive drunk from bar to home. When people know that those are the DUI hours, they either stay off the streets or exercise extra caution.

Ah yes, the "Bike helmets cause more fatalities" argument. I get that there's a large chance you're being facetious, but it's an argument that comes up fairly regularly, and is somewhat annoying every time; the safety equivalent of "If you get a raise you'll get bumped into the next tax bracket and *lose* money".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

The tax bracket thing is so hosed. A regular-rear end person can be forgiven for not easily understanding safety statistics but you can just read how the tax brackets work and no longer be a rube. It’s not, like, obfuscated or anything, it’s part of the basic structure.

I knew someone in the early aughts who avoided changing jobs for more pay because of that (or it was their rationale anyway, i think they just didn’t want a big change, which should be a fine thing and not require them to avoid becoming slightly less poor).

I think a lot of it, to :tinfoil:, is that capital wants people to think it's true because it makes it sound like denying a raise is beneficent instead of cruel.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For being world capitalism... capital, the US banks are hyperconservative about actually allowing you to give money to companies. I swear it was like 2015 before even chipped debit cards were commonplace.

A huge part of it was that skimming-style or card theft wasn't a huge issue in the US, so there was no impetus. At least, that's the story I was told.

borkencode posted:

Doesn’t hobby lobby still not use barcodes because of the crazy mark of satan theory?

What bar code would you even put on an ancient Mesopotamian artifact?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

iajanus posted:

That video shows up all the time and every idiot boomer comes in with the dumbest excuses for why the old car seems to be an absolute death trap, most commonly that the car had no engine or it had been structurally weakened as part of some big car conspiracy.

You also see this kind of talk around Daytime Running Lights: for various reason, our brain processes lit thing faster than it processes unlit things, but if you ask certain types of people, it's a conspiracy by the headlight, car, battery, or alternator manufacturers to wear out certain parts faster.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Also, in case I missed it, participation trophies were never for the kids, it was so Rick, the Ref for the pee-wee football game every saturday morning, didn't get beat up in the parking lot by Jack Anger-Issues McGee cus little Erik lost the game.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Folding Ideas' In Search Of A Flat Earth is a good rundown of this for the first half, before the twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

A Hollow Earther and a Flat Earther bump into each other in the middle of a Gentile town. One asks the other, "How's business?" And the other replies, "... Great!"

huh?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Flat Earthers are getting scarce.
The new cool thing is the 'Mud Flood and Giants'.
Apparently there was a world wide mud flood a few centuries ago (not Noah's Flood) and this wiped out intelligent civilizations and giant humans!

Their proof? Some old buildings have cladding upto a certain point, therefore that was the mud level defense.
Or some old buildings have basement windows, therefore that basement floor was a ground level floor in the past.

And giants because some stones look like faces.

Sounds related to the "Plateaus are the stumps of old trees" thing.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The apocalypse is always tomorrow, never today.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

It's not even that. Reduce and Reuse means I have to stop buying fancy new poo poo and either use less or use bad old things like a poor would. Recycle means I can keep up my cycle of consuption and disposal without guilt.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Conicidentally, the weirdest bit of post-9/11 fuckery just posted on my bsky feed.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

There's a funny part in The Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime where the main character, who's been isekaied to another world, hopes that his former coworker deleted his hard drive. Smash cut to that coworker, dumping his computer in the bathtub.

That's how I want my browsing habits to be destroyed, for sure.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

My read of it is that it's a somewhat old saw about mufflers on cars being emmasculating. So the instruction is that instead of getting gender affirming bottom surgery, you should cut the muffler off your car to make it louder, and therefore more manly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

lead foil hats on

Lmao.

Someone in the Hacker News thread in YOSPOS posted someone from HN saying something like "Lead isn't poison, it's actually an essential nutrient" and I just don't know what's real anymore.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Whoever posted this is 60+ years old, grew up with lead paint in their home and pumped leaded gas into their Buick.

They're brain damaged is what I'm saying.

Same with this person.

Nah, Hacker News is just kinda Like That. It's like an even more libertarian/Techbro Reddit.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

It's the same sort of logic as "Facts don't care about your feelings"; "I'm a being of pure logic and reason, therefore any conclusion I come to/anything I say that you're offended by is your weakness, not mine". It's the same kind of "I just tell harsh truths" bullshit.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Neito posted:

Lmao.

Someone in the Hacker News thread in YOSPOS posted someone from HN saying something like "Lead isn't poison, it's actually an essential nutrient" and I just don't know what's real anymore.

Found it.

Anotheroneagain on HN posted:

Anotheroneagain 3 hours ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: The Dawn of Cultural Schizophrenia (2023)

Yes, we live in a schizophrenic society. No it isn't caused by "knowing too many stories", or any other such nonsense (which is itself a symptom of the schizophrenia).
It's caused by the removal of lead. Lead is not a toxin, but is essential for the brain.
The problem is that lead deficient schizophrenics are sadists, who see no connection between their sadism and the hostile reactions that they encounter. The only explanation that they could find was that people suffered brain damage and outbursts of senseless agression.
Their sadism is also why they seem to have an advantage in some tests like the sally and ann task - it seems implied to the sadistic child that ann moved the ball to enjoy sally's struggle to find it, a much simpler problem than a normal child who needs to solve a problem where the reason is not stated.

I have absolutely no loving idea what he's talking about with regard to the Sally-Ann test, which as far as I can tell is solely about whether someone has sufficient theory of mind to understand that people have other perspectives than their own.

Neito fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 16, 2024

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

This is the visual equivilent of when my friend demonstrated how he listens to podcasts at like 4x speed and it was just gibberish to me.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Dameius posted:

I think you forgot what site you're at. Goons gonna be gooning.

I...
Hm.

You're not wrong....

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

God drat boomers complaining about younger gens on their cell phone drives me absolutely up the wall because ime they are far more glued to their phones than anyone I know in my age cohort. Especially when driving because god forbid they figure out how to do hands free.

But those dark kids are just doing useless stuff on their phones, like reading books or watching tac-tocs or being gay, not like their super-useful thing, reading Real Patriot Eagle Citizen News's latest Woke Watch on Facebook.

E: I meant to say "Those darn kids" but gently caress it, that works too.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

soviet elsa posted:

Aren’t Harley bikes less desirable among the youths because they suck? They are overpriced on features, performance, and safety compared to a bike from a scary foreign make. And they come with the culture.

There are no creepy MAGA dads in branded jackets riding an efficient, modern Kawasaki.

That's my understanding, yes, but they satisfy many things chuds need to feel good:

1) They're (formerly) made in America
2) They're loud
3) They were cool when they were 14.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The 8-hour workday

The Weekend.

(And probably, at some point, The Weeknd.)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The Islamic Shock posted:

No silly you stop thinking immediately after reaching the desired conclusion

And probably several steps before that, too.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Did they switch positions halfway through the meme or is Anakin pointing out that Padme is racist

It's incoherent because the point they're trying to make is incoherent; nobody's saying poo poo about men being "More criminal" than women or whatever their point was; they're just trying to argue against what they think is a liberal talking point. It's 100% conservative "If this isn't what you believe, why do I keep insisting that it is" type poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Butter vs Margarine conspiracy has been a thing since margarine was created. I think one state (Wisconsin?) mandated that margarine had to be dyed pink or someshit?