Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douginc
Mar 25, 2009

amateur economist posted:

SA should try writing it's own chain email that's just plausible enough to seem realistic, and then see how long it takes to hit our inboxes or be the subject of commentary on Glenn Beck

Yes, yes, and YES.

There are some drat good satirists on here that I'm almost positive could come up with good believable lies that might spread like wildfire.

People seem to naturally believe things the way they want, honestly, without any research or thought. So, when subjective and biased bullshit that matches their world view comes along, it doesn't matter to them that it might not pass a smell test, they want so badly to believe it, it becomes fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douginc
Mar 25, 2009

faustcf posted:

My mom's family is always sending her these emails for some reason. I'm not even sure how to take this one.

Did Obama becoming elected somehow make racism LESS inappropriate?

One would think that a brilliant African American becoming elected to our highest office would lower disrespect towards black people. Instead, racist jokes have come out in full force. I know, of course there's always been racism, but now it seems people from all walks of life are throwing out stupid jokes, people who you normally wouldn't even expect.

What I hate is how every person I meet who is racist is so drat proud to admit it, and automatically assumes I must be as well. If I got that poo poo in an email from a family member, there would be a phone call immediately upon reading. I am canceling our family Christmas.

Douginc
Mar 25, 2009

perianwyr posted:

This is possibly the worst thing I have ever received in email. It blew my mind that some folks I know have moved from normal republican stuff into straight up A. Wyatt Mann territory.

Sometimes there just isn't a Psyduck big enough.

When I lived in small town, Iowa, a friend of mine's family had old racist posters from the 1920's-1930's hanging as art. No, they weren't historians, or hipsters who thought it was funny ironic. I could see them originating and sending this email around. I'm not the smartest guy, but how can you live with such ignorance and hatred, that really was the worst email yet.

My grandmother is old fashioned racist like this, and a beautiful thing happened. She was on a flight to Las Vegas, and she was seated next to the nicest black man I've ever met. He was in his 40's, polite, well spoken, had a better job than she or any of her kids ever had, and talked to her the whole flight about the old days. Afterward, I could honestly see my grandmother's attitudes slightly change, just because she lived so isolated from society and had never met a black person that didn't meet her predetermined schema. I think a lot of people who think like this just really haven't met/talked with/given a chance to enough people.

Douginc
Mar 25, 2009

Angry Guacamole posted:

Siiiiigh. Every time I think mom is getting more progressive she sends me a forward and I cry a little bit.

Complete with RANDOM CAPITALS and LOTS AND LOTS OF EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!!! OH GOD ANTI-CHRISTIAN SENTIMENT DERP

My response. Yeah, I know it's hosed up a bit in the center, but I have a headache, okay? :smith:

I don't get the Republican voter's ideals. So, a lot of them want government to "stay the gently caress out of people's lives", but then a lot of them want Christian ideals, telling people what they can and can't do with their bodies. Helping fellow Americans with social programs = gently caress NO. Telling people how they should behave morally = MAKING GOD SMILE.

Douginc
Mar 25, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't have the numbers to back this up but here's a good video that illustrates the concept:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqqSHr0wVA

drat, this video was awesome, thanks for posting it. I've already shown it to six people I know.

I love how so many people here in Minnesota that I've talked to (all morons) have said that we're going to be seen as a joke for a state for having Franken as a senator. He's making me proud as hell over and over again. Keep taking no poo poo Franken.

[EDIT] Have any of you received the Black Belt Patriotism mass email going around by Chuck Norris himself?

"Washington certainly has reached a new low by forcing American citizens who oppose abortion to pay for abortions via their taxes in this massively comprehensive way. Is it intentionally trying to spark the next Boston Tea Party? When our greatest values are thrown under the omnibus, how do they expect us to respond? (Washington's wild spending and abandonment of traditional values and our Founders' vision is what prompted me to add a 64-page expansion to the new paperback version of my New York Times best-seller Black Belt Patriotism, being released in January through Fidelis Books. See the new Web site at http://www.blackbeltpatriotism...

...[A]s we near the eve of another Christmas, I wonder: What would have happened if Mother Mary had been covered by Obamacare? What if that young, poor and uninsured teenage woman had been provided the federal funds (via Obamacare) and facilities (via Planned Parenthood, etc.) to avoid the ridicule, ostracizing, persecution and possible stoning because of her out-of-wedlock pregnancy? Imagine all the great souls who could have been erased from history and the influence of mankind if their parents had been as progressive as Washington's wise men and women! Will Obamacare morph into Herodcare for the unborn?"

Yes, liberals will not be happy until abortions are MANDATORY. There's no choice for the women involved, plus, with abortion being completely covered by the government, how could she not take up the offer? Free abortion? How could she say no? Also, the evil people in this hypothetical are clearly those who provide the covered medical procedure, NOT the people who ridicule/persecute/possibly stone/etc. That's just to be expected!

Douginc fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 20, 2009

Douginc
Mar 25, 2009

freebooter posted:

I'm tired of ignorant fuckheads.

I went to the Minnesota State Fair this year and Al Franken was there. Al Franken is loving awesome and I spent a long time listening to him. He was trying to talk to everyone personally, as best he could, to explain why we need health care reform (I believe there are some videos of this on YouTube). Anyway, this crazy lady started yelling at him, without having listened to anything he said about medicare, about how welfare is just stealing her tax money and giving it to lazy bums (you could sense she truly meant "others...").

He said something to the extent of: 'We need to realize exactly how much money is being thrown away or stolen by health care and military waste. When you realize that, you'll see that you're arguing about someone taking too many pennies from the take-a-penny jar while someone is making off with the store's safe behind you.'

I now use that analogy all the time on people who bitch to me about how welfare is destroying our tax dollars more than anything else on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douginc
Mar 25, 2009
I'm just wondering how naive one would have to be to get their knowledge/education on Islam from a mass sent email? Do people really do this? I know the sad answer is yes, it's just baffling, however, that someone wouldn't do their own research, even if just for a few minutes.