Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Is there a movement to remove God from money? I hadn't heard of such a thing.

Or is it more like, "Those drat liberals are in power and want to take away our religion, UNLESS... we forward emails!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

It is almost tempting to add in something ironic about the family losing their health insurance(way to go Obama), but that might just be going overboard.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Why must every last one of these emails end with "If you agree FWD FWD FWD FWD FWD FWD FWD! If you don't, do nothing."?

I will send you very opinionated emails, but I don't want to hear a peep back from you unless you 100% agree with every word in this email. It just seems so childish. To me, it calls into question absolutely everything in the email, not that the "FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD" in the title doesn't.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Keshik posted:

Got this one a couple days ago:

I sent this reply:

Brilliant.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I hope that English was not that person's first language, judging by his name, most likely not, because I could barely tell what the hell he was talking about. It was too painful to read past the second letter.

However, I did like that he could not accept a birth certificate issued by the state of Hawaii as proof of his birth, but somehow knows that Obama was born in Kenya and an citizen of Indonesia, with no proof of any kind except maybe circumstance?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

Could I get some info on this? I've had friends of mine say that the whole financial mess is because democrats passed a bill saying banks couldn't refuse loans to minorites or some crazy poo poo. Is any of that true?

In the late 1970's, a billed was passed that made it illegal for banks to deny loans based on the address of who they were loaning the money to. This was to prevent banks from denying loans to applicants purely based on the fact that they lived in a poor black neighborhood.

This legislation was overall meaningless because it didn't really have any teeth to it. Banks can always find reasons to deny giving out a load. It did NOT in any way force any banks to issue any loans. It was intended to try and reduce discrimination.

How this piece of legislation could have caused a financial crisis 40 years later is anyones guess. (It didn't.)

Edit: It was called The Community Reinvestment Act (CRA).

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 14, 2009

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

LorneReams posted:

I don't know if you can call HMDA toothless.

Well, that was passed under LBJ, and all I keep hearing is how much it was Carter's fault. Maybe I missed something.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

publicblast posted:

Good thing there were no payroll taxes before Obama took office. Them sure was the good ol' days.

Outside of the increase in the cigarette tax and the AIG bonus taxes, has taxes even changed at all in the last 8 months? I don't see how a single thing that grumpy Gramps brings up has anything to do with Obama other than that Ashely campaigned for him and then decided to shove it in her relatives' faces that he won.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

Who the gently caress asks their grandparents for money? Mine certainly don't have any extra, most what they do get goes towards medical bills.

Shouldn't she be asking her folks?

One of the important "morals" of the story is likely the "generation gap," because kids today... they don't "get it."

I'm sure I could have used more quotation marks, but I already feel dirty from using so many.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I've never seen someone wearing an Obama T-shirt before this email. It's called selection bias. Glad we have a nice email about it.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I take it that it was not authored by Cosby.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

There are two people in my office that tend to do a lot of forwards. Luckily for me, they try to keep away from political ones. But I got two in the last week that I through were worth posting.

quote:

--- General Eisenhower Warned Us

It is a matter of history that when the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces, General Dwight Eisenhower, found the victims of the death camps he ordered all possible photographs to be taken, and for the German people from surrounding villages to be ushered through the camps and even made to bury the dead.

He did this because he said in words to this effect:

'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

This week, the UK debated whether to remove The Holocaust from its school curriculum because it 'offends' the Muslim population which claims it never occurred. It is not removed as yet.. However, this is a frightening portent of the fear that is gripping the world and how easily each country is giving into it.

It is now more than 60 years after the Second World War in Europe ended. This e-mail is being sent as a memorial chain, in memory of the,6 million Jews, 20 million Russians, 10 million Christians, and 1,900 Catholic priests

Who were 'murdered, raped, burned, starved, beat, experimented on and humiliated' while the German people looked the other way!

Now, more than ever, with Iran , among others, claiming the Holocaust to be 'a myth,' it is imperative to make sure the world never forgets.

This e-mail is intended to reach 400 million people! Be a link in the memorial chain and help distribute this around the world.

How many years will it be before the attack on theWorld Trade Center .
'NEVER HAPPENED'

.because it offends some Muslim in the U.S. ???

Do not just delete this message; it will take only a minute to pass this along.
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE...SOMEONE HAD TO PAY FOR IT
If you can read this...thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English.....thank a veteran.
God Bless America !

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
-Sir Winston Churchill

Didn't bother to post the four pictures, they don't really add anything. Funny thing is, I think one of the three pictures that are from the Holocaust was actually taken by the Germans. Doesn't really fit with the point of the message.

I didn't hear about this so called debate, but someone how I doubt it is anything like the email portrays it.

quote:

Wonder it the President has seen this one.

Makes you wonder doesn't it...can you imagine having a Christian demonstration against Islam in downtown Baghdad?

View the pictures below and decide how you really feel about the future of the Western World. These pictures are of Muslims marching through the STREETS OF LONDON during their 'Religion of Peace Demonstration.'

Why would anyone think that we should be at war with such nice, peaceful Muslims?!
You need to forward this one to everyone! These pictures tell it all!
Muslims have stated that England will be the first country they take over!
These are pictures not shown on American TV or in American Newspapers , but were forwarded by a Canadian who thought All ought to know!

This demonstration is the backlash from Danish comic strip a while back. And you can bet it was all over the news.

Snopes has the pictures up if you are interested. The exact same ones my friend forwarded me. The signs are pretty damning, but they are only marginally worse than the kind you would find at a Tea Party. But this demonstration seem to only involve 500 to 700 people. So the concentration of awful signs is probably a lot higher.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/muslimprotest.asp

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

quote:

Muslim male extremist between the ages of 17 and 40.

Aren't something on the order of 80% of serial killers socially active white males between the ages of 17 and 40?

I should probably make a joke email about 20 some odd famous serial killers and maybe throw in McVeigh for good measure.

Fake Edit: I looked it up as best I could. Looks like 88% of serial killers are male. 73% of male serial killers are white. Don't have anything about age groups, but that makes it more like 65%. But either way, it should not be hard to find 13 instances of white males between 17 and 40, who murdered other people.

Hell might even be able to make a list that long of just white males between 17 and 40 who killed other white males between 17 and 40. So as it turns out, the enemy of the white man is in fact... the white man.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Why is the USPS a failure because I'm pretty sure my mail always gets there...?

None of those are failures. They all do exactly what they are suppose to. Most of them very efficiently. Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security get a bad rap because they are underfunded (no kidding we have to pay for this?!?!), but they still work exactly as intended. Freddy and Fannie get a bad rap because they were caught in the same mess all the other banks were, but were mandated to deal specifically with mortgages, lacking the diversity that other banks that survived had.

It is painfully obvious that this email is directed not at programs not working, because they do if you are even the least bit objective, but rather the goals of the programs being bad.

Over $40 Billion a year between state and federal money is spent on the War on Drugs. Teenagers still get high.

$55 billion spent to have the honor of the largest incarceration rate in the world. Murder, Rape, theft, organized crime, and gangs violence still happens on a daily basis.

I suppose we should include the Department of Education in there. They spend $56 billion a year and we still have retards who think Obama was born in Kenya.

The military industrial complex is one huge money hole and half the times the contractors don't even deliver on their promises at the costs they get bid on. (Warning: Exaggeration) It's just a mere 1/4 of total federal spending.

Not to mention the money sink that is the WAR ON TERRA! Bin Laden still at large.

Government spending and efficiency is actually on par with or often better than comparable sized private entities. In fact, despite being a running joke, DoD procurement is actually better than most other private entities ($5,000 toilet seats not withstanding). I should have saved those two links for discussions like this. I remember seeing it in D&D in the last year.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

freebooter posted:

Pretty sure that's exactly how vacuum cleaners are supposed to be used?

I think he is trying to say that no new bag was put in after the first was removed. Which is probably why it broke.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Zwabu posted:

How's the Department of Defense been doing in terms of revenues brought in versus tax dollars spent? Are they breaking even?

Can't put a price tag on freedom! :911:

We can, however, put a price tag on health care, the best postal system in the world, and the welfare of our citizens.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Anosmoman posted:

You don't need to be drunk to appreciate that site. The youtube on the front page had me giggling within 30 seconds and I'm famously difficult to get giggling.

Thanks God!

And the ability for animals to evolve through natural selection. Wow. It's so simple even a young earth creationist can understand it.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

streetlamp posted:

I am being asked to seriously respond to an article written by Ted Nugent concerning the "Barry O administration".
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=34131

How can you even "seriously" respond to that. Ted makes a bunch of opinionated statements and assumes they are true. He constantly uses pejoratives, which only takes away from his argument and make him look juvenile.

He includes an odd statement about Mao Tse Tung, which I admit seems odd, but I don't even know the full story and imagine it is taken out of context. And wonders why she doesn't turn to Lincoln who, using the same criteria as he did for Mao, was responsible for more American deaths than any single man in history. So not only was Lincoln a mass murderer, but he murdered Americans instead of dirty foreigners.

This is nothing more than another disillusioned Conservative/Republican on a rant.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

tek79 posted:

Don't know if it's been discussed here, but is there any sort of leftist/liberal equivalent to these emails? I ask because I used to get 3-4 of these a week from my conservative in-laws before I got tired of waking up to an inbox full of bullshit everyday and told them to stop. On the flip side, my family and most of my friends are fairly liberal, and I have never received anything even remotely as asinine as the poo poo my Republican acquaintances routinely sent. If anybody has any Fwd:Fwd:Fwd:I'M A RETARDED LEFTIST, SAVE AMERICA!!!! emails, I'd love to read them. Do they even exist?

I know they exist, because my mother (liberal) used to laugh that her brother (conservative) used to put a lot of effort in debunking any email of that type she forwarded to him. She said he didn't get that they were suppose to be funny and not taken seriously, so she stopped forwarding them to him.

Despite being liberal as well, my mother never sent them to me, and I honestly never really had any interest in them, so I never asked her to.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Dr. Tough posted:

I love that the guy in email's response to getting almost robbed was to commit armed robbery himself. Plus burglary and criminal damage on some poor guy's car (a car he assumed belonged to the robber but had no proof). Plus all the telephone crap. Great stuff.

The telephone crap is probably worse. Those are serious federal crimes.

And this was apparently endorsed by a pastor? What is the world coming to?

PS
An armed society... means I get to act like the douche bag I always wanted to be. In other words, not civil at all.

FakeEdit: Just for the hell of it. He admits tot he following crimes:
*Armed Robbery (a felony)
*Credit Card Fraud (lots of it, appears to be a felony in Georgia)
*Threatening state employees (Typically a felony in most states, but I don't know about in Georgia)
*Threatening the President of the United States (A very serious crime. I didn't want to do a Google search so that I would end up on some list, but its probably a felony)
*Defacing private property (oh hey a misdemeanor, looks like he has gone soft)
*Don't know the gun laws in Savannah, but I'm sure he broke a few of those too.
*Maybe even an anti-vigilantism law of some kind, but I could be reaching here.

So 4 felonies and a misdemeanor, at least, which he freely admitted to Craig's list. Classy.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 12, 2009

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

NecroBob posted:

I've tried reading that from a pro-fundamentalist point of view, an anti-fundamentalist POV, a "patriot"'s POV, and a "blame-America-first"er POV. No matter how you read it, that whole little allegory is utterly pointless and doesn't really support any of them.

It just basic conservative talking points.

There is the narrative of the hard working common man, who raises up through hard work to do great things thanks to all his hard work. These hard working people had not time for the lazy.

Then it talks about this common man who works on a farm (in REAL AMERI... ROME) and leads the nation to military victory over its enemies.

There is tons of talk about taxes and government programs, that only the rich paid so no one worried about them.

The country then lost its way. How could this happen?

It just uses the formula of things I don't like will cause bad things to happen.

It is just a mishmash of conservative talking points poorly interlaced into a very naive narrative about Rome. If we don't follow our conservative principles bad things will happen and history will repeat itself. Just like in Rome.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't even know where to start. STEALTH MUSLIM, anti-Abortion propaganda and less than subtle middle eastern racism.

And even a threat to behead the sitting president. Thank god, no one is going to forward this to me.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

EggsofSteel posted:

I had a doozy today on my best friend's Facebook. My friend had stated that he was going to write a letter to the office of our state senator, who voted no on allowing gay marriage in New York after accepting money from HRC and other organizations for his stated support of gay marriage. This distant acquaintance comes on and says that state senators like ours and Ruben Diaz "march to their own drummer," and so:

I mean, was I off in my reply, or am I right in assuming he's some religious nut who thinks Thomas Aquinas wrote our constitution?

I suppose you could reply something to the effect of:

Nice rebuttal. Thanks for clearly explaining why I was wrong with appropriate links so I could further read and comprehend as to why I am crazy and do not understand the founding fathers and the constitution. I can't believe I have been SO wrong all these years. gently caress gays and their tyrannical desire to do something which has no effect what-so-ever on anyone else! drat them!

But I can be a passive aggressive rear end sometimes.

Or just what Davish Krail says.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

EggsofSteel posted:

Well, the guy I was debating on facebook ended up being some crazed libertarian. A lot of fun ensues. I broke up his blocks of text a little better:

Holy crap. That is one insane rant. But his argument to keep marriage separate from government at least makes sense from his idealogical perspective.

I still don't understand at all, the libertarian definition of the word tyranny. I suppose it is like the conservative use of the word liberal. A catch all word for stuff/people I don't like.

Also, how is a job and a career, not a life choice, but a marriage is? Shouldn't a marriage be in fact a greater commitment than a job and possibly even a career? Also, smokers don't gain benefits, but they do pay extra in taxes for their life choice. He has a very dizzying argument and is all over the map. I think he just wants to let you know how libertarian he is.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I like how the person says he will defer to their decisions because he/she believes that smarter people are making the decisions... then follows this up with a hair brained scheme because he/she is obviously smarter than elected officials. I like how they don't think through their plan. If Christmas wasn't a nation holiday, they would also work.

Also, why is Thanksgiving included there? That isn't a Christian (or Religious?) holiday.

Not to mention. Mail is delivered 6 days a week including Christmas/New Years Eve and the Friday after Thanksgiving. The post office is extremely good at what it does. Stop lumping them in with government inefficiencies, which actually don't hold up to scrutiny!

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

dphrag posted:

Completely irrelevant, but this reminds me of supply side jesus: http://www.beliefnet.com/News/2003/09/The-Gospel-Of-Supply-Side-Jesus.aspx?p=1

Supply side Jesus is never irrelevant.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

ManoliIsFat posted:

I know that's an easy retort to prostelitizing Christians, but there's a bunch of material to cite (especially in the epistles) to be in-your-face about your worship of Jesus and God.

I never did understand why Christians put so much more emphasis on what Paul, a man who never even met Jesus, said, rather than you know... Jesus. I understand that Jesus did often talk in riddles rather than strait answers, but most (all?) of them are not that complicated.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

SpergyGirl posted:

But he did meet Jesus. :smug:

For some reason, I thought his conversion was a visit from the holy spirit or some other messenger of God. But I guess it was resurrected Jesus saying, "Stop killing my people! Now go and preach the word!"

I guess when Jesus asks you to do something, you drat well better do it.

Ok, never met pre-resurrected Jesus. The REAL Jesus. :smug:

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Someone let me know if this one's been posted.

lol Obama sux am I rite?

I found it on snopes but they're not sure where it came from and only list it as a legend.

I am pretty sure it has been posted before. ducttape a dozen or so posts above yours has a nice response to it.

I also find it telling that the email uses a policy that is nothing like Obama, or anyone else for that matter, has ever proposed.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Of course I will believe that a bunch of odd ornaments taken at extremely close range had to come from no other place than the White House Christmas tree. And that a single odd shape cookie that vaguely resembles an acorn when someone mentions it to me, must mean that there were plate loads of these and that it was an endorsement of ACORN.

Lets forget about the fact that Obama signed legislation which removed some of their funding.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Childlike Empress posted:

Speaking of Christmas, I just received this e-mail from one of my organization's members.
And here's what got him so up in arms, the "Happy Holidays" message we put in our weekly political newsletter:
I begged my boss to let me send the bastard that awesome forwarded e-mail from a few pages bak that was like "Hey, it's me Jesus, and I'd rather have you worship Me by spending some time in a soup kitchen or being kind to people than bitching and moaning about people not saying 'Merry Christmas.'" She wouldn't let me. :sigh:

It's ok. It would only make him mad and defensive. Ignorance is bliss.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

jackpot posted:

Except for Detroit I thought that part of the country was all white people anyway.

Yeah, they purposefully cherry picked a part of the country that didn't have minorities. If you read the article. The original version was for Iowa, Wyoming, and the Dakotas, and later ones were of Colorado, and now its Michigan.

They aren't going to bring up when NYC had a severe storm that caused power outages to to over 70,000 customers, 500 of which (including me) were without power for 5 days. But granted, I am pretty sure it was a summer storm, so not nearly as bad overall.

I didn't get a FEMA trailer. :(

God, that was an epic failure of a government mandated private monopoly. But then again, they all are. But that is a story for another time and another thread.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

That and a Founding FatherTM is worth more clout than a "failed Demmycrat"

Another shorty:

NOT THE ARMY-NAVY FOOTBALL GAME!!

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/barackobama/a/trifecta.htm

Here is a pretty good explanation on that one.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Man with all the heat Obama is getting you'd think he spent almost a full 3 years on vacation days while presiding over two different wars, one of which had no practical or substantial connection with the 9/11 attacks and that he and his entire administration lobbied for under false pretenses.

In addition to taking the longest vacation in the history of the Presidency, after only 6 months in office, right before the largest national security failure in our nation's history.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

quote:

The federal Government has made bold steps to take away our guns.

Interesting fantasy of theirs.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I don't see how this is at all a surprise, or what point the email is making. The only reason we glorify one group of people and demonize another is because of what "side" they were on.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I don't have sound at work. What is going on there? Some kind of voice vote?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Dr. Tough posted:

Well that's pretty much why they won right there. Also I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Air Force was restricted to using Pakistani tactics or something like that.

I'm pretty sure it was purposefully stacked against the Americans because the people running the exercise wanted them to have a poor showing to justify a next-generation fighter plane. For instance, I'm pretty sure we just sent over an typical flight unit, while the IAF was using their best of the best.

Air to air superiority is a thing of the past. We can shoot just about any plane out of the sky with missiles, and the only useful role that planes seem to have anymore is destroying land targets. Satellites do a way better job of recon.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

wormil posted:

This is exactly why I don't believe in Delaware. I've never been there and I don't know anyone who has lived there. Once I met someone who claimed they had been to Delaware but obviously they are either part of the coverup or one of the sheep. I saw a sign for Delaware once but that proves nothing, signs can be faked.

Seriously though, I remember about two people from college and only their faces, not their names.

I notice a lot of people do not refer to Obama as President Obama but rather, Mr. Obama. And by a lot of people I mean people on radio and television. There is a guy on NPR who does it and I've been hearing it on other stations/channels (not Fox). I don't remember people calling Bush, Mr. Bush, on a regular basis. Or perhaps I'm misremembering?

I remember Olberman doing it a lot. I am pretty sure that most people say it when they don't like the president, but want to sound more formal than just "Obama."

Obama, you are a tool.

Mr. Obama, you are a tool.

Just makes it seem like you are giving them some respect before insulting them I suppose. But not really giving them respect by referring to them as their title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

CapMoron posted:

*sigh*

Amazing that they got the state of Hawaii to confirm it to be authentic! It is the forgery of all forgeries.