Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Obviously it's Obama's fault that banks don't know how it's possible for a woman to change her last name.

In this very true, factual account of actual events that definitively transpired and are not complete balderdash by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Mornacale posted:

This is not "how it works everywhere else," and is actually an incredibly extreme position. Once again:

Who do you claim ought to control the privilege to possess things? Do you really desire a system wherein we default to the assumption that people can not do what they want, unless that person or group specifically gives them the privilege?

Except he's not saying "things", he's saying "things that are extremely likely to be used as a deadly weapon against another person and in fact serve no other purpose". Come back when you learn the difference, and knock off this slippery-slope garbage.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Mornacale posted:

This isn't a slippery slope argument and I support gun control (though I'm admittedly torn on the issue), maybe you should actually read my posts. In a free society, the government ought to have a good reason to dictate your possessions to you, and "gun ownership should be illegal" is not unambiguously true any more than "everyone has a right to own guns." There are actual opposed values here, and people acting otherwise is exactly why we have very little chance of effective regulation.

So the gist of what you're saying is "the issue is nuanced"? Rad. Glad we cleared up that the gun debate is complicated.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Mornacale posted:

I was originally responding to a poster asking what possible other side there could be to the debate. Congratulations on jumping in to an argument you don't comprehend and then getting salty when it makes you look foolish.

Yo, jumping from "maybe some people shouldn't own guns just because they want them" to "well who would you appoint to regulate all possessions, the logical end point if this thought process" isn't making ME look foolish.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Mornacale posted:

Do you understand that, in context, the first quote there is an argument against the right to choose what you own in general?

No, it's not. It's about what you own within a specific category of things.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Mornacale posted:

Which category?

The category that I and Glitterbomber have defined multiple times. I'm surprised you're not as bored with repeating yourself as I am at this point.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Mornacale posted:

Okay, so, to quote you, "things that are extremely likely to be used as a deadly weapon against another person and in fact serve no other purpose". How likely is "extremely likely"? Who gets to choose? How do we choose? Does coming up with a single "other purpose" automatically disqualify an object from this group? When a new object comes into existence, do we assume it's a member of this group until proven otherwise, or do we assume otherwise until proven to be a member?

I'm quite bored of repeating myself, but alas.

How about governing bodies similar to those that presently determine which consumer items require measures of security to be cleared for an average consumer access (like, say, a locked case) and which consumer items can be picked up easily by anyone off a shelf?

"Regulating possessions" is hardly a new and novel concept, and acting like making it slightly more difficult to acquire dangerous weapons is the first step towards book banning is disingenuous and, frankly, tiresome.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

pug wearing a hat posted:

Stuff like this really pisses me off, but I have no idea how to debunk it in a way that they'll actually listen to. :(

The difference between water and poisonous hydrogen peroxide? ONE ATOM. THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

ozmunkeh posted:

This again?
:allears:

Then, the whole class stood up and applauded for me! Later that year I caught the touchdown pass that won us the Homecoming game, and the bullies crowned me Prom King!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

Yippie Kay-yay, Mr. Falcon!

I love you for serious.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Wapole Languray posted:

Basically nobody from India would think that suffering "burns off" bad Karma. Good actions counteract bad karma, so if an Indian person uses karma as a reason to not help a poor person they aren't being a devout Hindu, they're just being a greedy rear end in a top hat.

A friend of mine that was visiting Thailand said that this was almost exactly what he encountered, quite a bit. Locals refusing to help the impoverished out of a belief that those people down on their luck were being punished for greed and excess in a past life. I had to explain to him that, much like our local Christians who hate charitable acts, those Buddhists are getting it wrong.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Coelacanthian posted:

Posted "One down, thirty-two to go!" In response to Maryland striking down capital punishment. Got this loving wretched argument out of it...

Red is a failed police academy guy who I don't think I need to be friends with any more. It drives me into a seething rage every time his argument degrades to, "You just don't know what it's like in the real world" like I live on loving Jupiter in my Palace of Objectivity.

Your friend is a god drat sociopath and I'd watch my back at any public event where he's present.

Like, seriously, it takes a special kind of person to be like "innocent people died on my tax dollars. OH WELL LET GOD SORT 'EM OUT".

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I think that one's about trans* rights.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Obama's doing about as good as we can expect any president to be doing for the foreseeable future. He's a corporatist shill and I doubt there are many people left that would deny it, but he's slightly less terrible than your average Republican on certain social issues, and until something drastic occurs to upset the current meritocracy, that's about the best we can hope for.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Imagine 4 Marines lying down in front of the President. Say a direct copy of the Marine nearest the President is sent to the back of the line Marines and takes the place of the first Marine. The formerly first Marine becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth gets stepped on.

You always did have a pension for the dutiful.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

So iTunes is having specials in celebration of the month of Ramadan. Anyone care to place bets on who will be first to accuse Apple of being conquered by Muslims?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

They didn't pull it down.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Reply "Why do we even have scientists at all? Everyone should just ask you".

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

MokBa posted:

My best friend from childhood currently works for Grover Norquist in DC. He went to Northwestern and was always a very intelligent guy, and I wondered what made him such a classic Republican. He grew up extremely privileged, an only child whose dad co-owned a Chevy dealership, but he has studied government and politics enough to have some kind of self-awareness. Today I finally understand him, because he posted this:

Literally six paragraphs of "I feel threatened by change". He always wanted to be the villain when we were playing...

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that your friend is a straight white dude.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

So I saw this thread had an explosion and I clicked hoping for a bunch of letters or maybe a new gold mine, but nope, it's just pages of wolfchat.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

:psyduck:

"I know that's not what the article is about, I just wanted to rant about how executions should be more violent anyways"

The offhand lol at the end really sells it. Like a talisman protecting his reprehensibility from examination.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

borkencode posted:

My motivation for engaging the crazies I know on facebook is to provide a second voice to be heard by everyone else. I know I'm not likely to change the minds of most people, but if I can make a well reasoned argument hopefully someone on the sidelines will get the message.

That's often my reasoning for ever engaging in arguments on the internet. It's never for the sake of the two people arguing, but for all of the people who aren't invested enough in their views to participate, because THOSE are the minds you're going to change. That even applies to some of the arguments I get into on these forums, sometimes.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Interlude posted:

Proponents of gun control, even in this very thread, continually show their cards and advocate for total bans when they think no one is looking. Not to mention, in Democratically controlled states, they actually implement such policies. Why would you expect gun owners to be anything but paranoid in that climate? We're not exactly talking about death panels or FEMA camps here.

Yeah, all those states in which guns are totally banned, like

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

JUDGE THROWS OUT MURDER TRIAL, "MERELY A SYMPTOM OF LARGER SOCIAL ILLS"

ALLGOOD, AB - Members of the press were shocked earlier today when a federal judge dismissed a murder case that was set to go to trial at 9:00 AM this morning.

"These individual killings are merely a distraction," said one of the judge's press correspondents. "America needs to focus on the issues underlying our culture that causes people to resort to violence. Devoting all of this time and taxpayer money to these singular instances is just another partisan tactic meant to divide this great nation".

"We're working too hard on treating symptoms than curing the disease," agreed another.

The victim's family could not be reached for comment in time for publication.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

rkajdi posted:

stdh.txt

EDIT: Seriously, no google hits on the headline and no details in the report means this is definitely a fake.

That would be because I made it up. Completely. By myself. As a mockery of Interlude's latest argument that gun control is a short term solution that fails to address the social context that drives a gun-owner to violence in the first place.

Also known as a 'joke'

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I am become Poe, ruiner of (own) jokes

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Edit: Idiot #1 just said that this topic was what his thesis was for his first PHD.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at THAT hearing.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I honestly thought I was looking at a row of colored pencils.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Literally the only thing stopping all of the police from being 100% militarized is the possibility that some homeowner might keep a pistol in their nightstand. That's common knowledge. Like, duh.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

The bizarre thing about people from France is that they seem to LOVE Americans and American pop culture for some reason.

I seem to recall seeing a poll where they were actually the biggest fans of America.

Talk about a race to the bottom...

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

My god, you're right. We need to start enforcing stricter controls on fire extinguishers, to make sure that no fire extinguisher gets in the wrong ha--

...heeeeeey, I see what you're doing there!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Garrand posted:

Some people seriously love segregated bathrooms. I work in a small store where there are 2 bathrooms. Locking, identical, single toilet bathrooms. They are still designated as being one for men and one for women, and people will actually sit and wait for however long if there is someone using one already even if the other is completely open.

Every Starbucks I've ever been to has these. I suspect that if you took the gendered signs down no one would even bat an eye.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Can we all just take a minute to appreciate how good Family Matters and especially Carl Winslow was?

Perfect start to a new page.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Seriously, can we please make a separate gun thread? I don't give a poo poo that it probably overlaps with our precious dedicated gun forum - get that poo poo out of here.

They've actually tried this several times. It goes over about as well as it always does in this thread, ends up with a rating of about 2/5 before being gassed at around the 30th page of people ignoring every single shred of evidence that contradicts their fantasies.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

LeJackal posted:

Yet these fantasies about guns causing crime and the existence of a practical/useful gun control scheme continue to persist. Its really weird!

More guns doesn't work. Fewer guns doesn't work. The status quo doesn't work. Clearly it's a problem without a solution. Weekly shooting murders are just something we'll all have to get used to, I guess.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Appeasement is the answer (paraphrased)

ok cool we get it shut up now

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

EightBit posted:

You should probably spend five seconds on Google before opening your mouth. There are plenty of women that commit mass murders.

Five seconds of Google later and evidently one out of the 70 mass murders (in the past 30 years) in America were perpetuated by women, but please feel free to list these "plenty" you refer to. Maybe it happened a lot more in the colonial days?

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 26, 2014

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Selachian posted:

10,000 IU of vitamin D daily,

My mom fell for this poo poo a few years ago at the height of Swine Flu Panic. She's not an unintelligent woman, she just got swept up in this madness. Ended up torpedoing her gallbladder to poo poo, and when she was admitted to the hospital, they put her on suicide watch because they thought she had intentionally OD'd.

To this day she's extremely embarrassed by it. :sigh:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Minimum sentences are predicated on the idea that the purpose of the criminal justice system is to punish, and not to rehabilitate. If that's the case, fine, but don't act like it's better for the victims, the perpetrators, or society in general to have such systems in place, when such has been repeatedly proven to be demonstrably false. This doesn't become less true as the crimes become less palatable, and to believe otherwise is naive at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Amazingly, there is room for some gray area between a slap on the wrist and a mandatory prison sentence for all without a second thought.