Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
This loving guy came to open-air preach at my college a few days ago. You can imagine how it went. I could go into more detail if needed (and I'm quite sure I'm going to end up on his blog since we had some words) but at one point someone asked him, "Is there anything I could present to you that would ever cause you to doubt that God exists?" And he said, "No."

Then why the gently caress are we even talking to each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Only the entitled complain about entitlements.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Yes, because poor people shouldn't have things that make them happy. In fact, why should they even be allowed to get junk food? They should only be allowed to use their food stamps for amino acid protein enriched feed and distilled water.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I work at a cinema that just switched to drink cups and lids that are made of bio-degradable corn.

So now we serve popcorn with a side of coca cola with high fructose corn syrup that comes in a container made of corn.

If someone could invent a corn bag, then we would literally be serving the customer entirely corn.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Brennanite posted:

I really didn't know what to do with the first one. How do you debate with someone who thinks Glenn Beck is a truthmonger and not a clearly insane person?

Just tell him: [Citation needed]. He needs to provide a LEGITIMATE source for these conspiracies.

I mean, is he the Fox Mulder of government conspiracies or something? He's the poor sap shouting from the rooftops while everyone else just lives their lives oblivious? (He probably actually believes this, but whatever).

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
And that's the problem with the budget and popular opinion. It's such a big number in it's entirety, that even the small programs can be scapegoated because their budgets seem like big numbers.

I'm sure we all remember the "$3 million to study bear DNA!" or some poo poo that the John McCain talked about a few years ago. Even though it was a tiny percentage of the budget, people still thought, "Well, $3 million is a lot of money for me, so I think that program is bogus!"

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Unless everyone being polled is answering ironically, I would say that a large percentage of conservatives want him to run for president.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'd first find a list of the ten cities with the lowest % of poverty level and see how they fare compared to this.

EDIT: It also appears that mayors don't have listed political affiliations, so I suspect that e-mail is garbage.

the fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 4, 2011

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Also on the Democratic/Republican mayor issue, I would say that since Republicans tend to dislike poor people and minorities, and helping poor people and minorities, they would definitely not want to have anything to do with them and thus would not want to preside over a city where there were many poor people and minorities.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
A $1000 form of transportation, especially one with no protection from the elements, higher insurance costs, and less safety, is nothing I'd complain about someone driving.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Whenever anyone complains about how good Illegal Aliens have it, I just ask them if they think it's such a sweet deal, they should give up their citizenship and work construction jobs as well.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If you aren't willing to blindly follow the military, I'd rather you be killed.

That's fascism for you.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I don't get what's going on with that receipt

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Plus isn't being able to buy what you want considered free market capitalism? Isn't forcing them to buy certain things more government regulations which, if I recall correctly, are the antithesis of conservative philosophy?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Strudel Man posted:

Being able to buy what you want with your own money is considered free market capitalism. Being able to buy what you want with government money isn't, really.

Isn't government money our money anyway since we supply it with taxes? I'm so confused.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Chenghiz posted:

That looks like something from Total Annihilation or a similar scifi strategy game from the 90s.

I used to love those because they'd buy the 4 page fold out advertisements on the first page of my PC Gaming Monthly that would be this huge sprawling in game screenshot or something.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How do I respond to a facebook status like this

quote:

A girl with amazinggg Guess jeans and a Juicy Couture purse just got her free groceries with food stamps and loaded them into her bimmer. How do I get in on this?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I was upset so this is how I responded

quote:

I AGREE WITH EVERYONE. POOR PEOPLE SHOULDN'T GET TO BUY ANYTHING BUT BASIC FOOD LIKE RICE AND GRUEL AND LIVE IN SHACKS WITH NO TELEVISION OR XBOX. IF THEY'RE POOR THEN THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY FUN OR GET TO HAVE ANY CLOTHES EXCEPT STANDARD ISSUE GREY TROUSERS.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I also think people frequently confuse the pledge of allegiance with the national anthem.

Plus, I would imagine that a soldier would respect my freedom of speech that he fought so bravely for.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Also, ask her that, if it's such a great deal, if she would renounce her citizenship.

And ask her if she would enjoy a job picking tomatoes for 14 hours a day at a rate of $2 / hr.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

quote:

Stop giving welfare and unemployment money to people that don't need it (15% of my customers use EPPI cards to pay for my expensive [compared to the grocery store] pizza. There is rampant abuse everywhere. There is a convenience store RIGHT across the street that trades cash for food stamps for a fee). You know what? All a government agency has to do is come in and ask me if I have any complaints of welfare abuse. This is why I suggest forming an oversight committee that walks door to door or provides an anonymous tip hotline. By forming an oversight committee, the committee will pay for itself by saving the country tons of money.

Why should we stop giving hand outs?
Money == labor.

If someone comes into my store and gives me $20, I assume they worked for it.
They buy a pizza, I'm $20 richer because I worked for it.
But that's not the case, is it?

The guy was given $20 to not work. (he'd lose his benefits if he got a job)
Now, he gives the money to me. I'm $20 richer! Woohoo.
drat, I pay taxes. The taxes go back to the guy with no job.
Guy with no job buys another pizza another $20 pizza from me.
This is bullshit.

If someone gives me $20 for a pizza. Why don't I just give them the $20 (for free) back so they can buy ANOTHER pizza?

The guy will continuously pay me $20 for another pizza, 1000 times. I did a shitload of work, I brought in $20,000, but wtf... I'm broke. It looks like I'm getting richer because I have more work and am selling more pizzas, but instead I'm just putting myself in the hole!

That's what welfare/unemployment is doing to the country. We are paying people to NOT work, they spend the money, the money goes to taxes, taxes go right back to the people NOT working. It's the same as giving them back their money at the time of purchase. We work harder, they get more by not working at all.

If one person is on an Island, and the other person is disabled, the first person does all the work. The first person has to share everything with the disabled person in order for both of them to survive. What's in it for the person that works? Companionship? Perhaps. What if the guy who works becomes old or disabled? Now they both die.

I don't think that it's a problem that a guy shares the fruits of his labor with someone less fortunate. But I know there has to be a fine balance. If a guy could produce a lifetime of apples and had enough to last him his entire life and then some, he has no excuse to share the excess apples. Rich people have more apples than they can spend in a lifetime. No need for them to have more apples than they need. Taking the excess is not going to have an affect on the rich, but it'll have a big affect on the people that need it.

At the same time, if someone only has 10 apples, but the disabled person demands 6 apples (more than a reasonable amount of what the worker makes), the worker has the right to say "gently caress you"... or at least I would. As the person who did the work, consistent with the law of life, you are entitled to survive more than the disabled person. It's the circle of life... the weak die, the strong survive. At most, a weak person can "beg" for a handout, and at very least, a strong person can "charity" a free handout. But there is definitely a line that is crossed when the begger asks for too much or the giver gives too little.

I don't even know what to say to this guy...

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
That same guy from the Fox News article also did this great petition:

quote:

Many students support affirmative action, in an effort to promote diversity. They argue that race-based preferences "level the playing field" for disadvantaged minorities. However, these same students refused to sign our petition to apply such policies to the basketball team. At UC Riverside -- where the video was filmed -- 10/11 active players on the team are African American. Why not use affirmative action to promote diversity there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmSzgvaJCn0

:ughh:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Do people who do their taxes every year but usually get money back fall into that group? I'm a little confused. I definitely do not make a lot of money. I just work a part-time job while I'm in school, but I do file taxes each year. Am I one of the 50% or not?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
And that wasn't 50% of their income, that was 50% of their total wealth.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Amarkov posted:

I really do enjoy it whenever anyone says "capitalism hasn't killed millions" or something, because when you show how that's wrong it tends to actually make people think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_industrial_disasters

For starters.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

quote:

Dear Obamaclause, for Christmas I would like:

1) My tuition paid for by the rich in Wall Street. After all, I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to get an "Ivy League" education to get a horrible job and stay, well, not rich.

2) My car paid for by the rich in Wall Street. After all, it was their bailouts that forced me to get this sweet ride that I couldn't afford.

3) My house paid for by the rich in Wall Street. While it may have been Barney Frank and Chris Dodd who threatened banks with embarrassing accusations regarding equal rights being violated if they didn't offer me a subprime mortgage on a $500,000 house (when I could only afford a $150,000 one), it was the bank's fault for making me sign the mortgage contract.

4) Some of dat Obama Money.

:ughh:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm the guy with the h-bar avatar.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

quote:

I don't get it. Are pedophiles the new jews?

I was reading

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-pennstateex-coach-allegations[
and it says "the school’s athletic director and an administrator were charged with perjury and failing to report"

Sounds an awful like how Germans would get in trouble for not reporting jews.

Also, the sentiment against pedophiles being the scum of the earth, when clearly this pedophile
was a hero at penn state (prior to this news) and lived like one of you people for 67 years of his life.

Seems like the next step is to tag a star on them and send them to concentration camps.

I don't even...

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Well, at least we can be sure all the troop-worship hasn't gone to their heads yet...

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Um, they produce FREEDOM :911:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Mainly the conversation between me (the OP in the image) and Frank, who attended a public university and operates a business on a state road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Twelve by Pies posted:

Only one person whining about this on my Facebook at the moment, though I'm sure there will be more by tomorrow.

Let them know that Gore would have won in 2000.