Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

People living in the Northeast can gain points for the lack of venomous critters in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VROOM VROOM posted:

*removed like 9 nested FW:FW:FW, also all of this is centered and on a lime green background*

Oh, dad.

Why is that man pissing on the gravestones?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Of course not. What's surprising is that anyone hasn't already heard that entire "things heard at a travel agency" - I first saw it in '98 and I'm sure it goes back years before that.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/travelagent.htm

They have an older version from years ago without any names.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nekumi posted:

Keshik, you have the patience of a saint. I doubt I could've gone through that conversation for more than a few minutes. I couldn't even finish the chatlog. This isn't a tl;dr or anything, I just think your friend is an idiot.

If you want some live action fun, come over to https://www.tikilive.com and join the Fox News chatroom. It's nothing but ignorant Freepers spouting Fox talking points. It is quite fun to tear them to shreds with facts.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deuce posted:

I had some time off yesterday and took apart that "here's whats in HR3200 email."

Edit: On second thought, I posted it in the Obamacare thread. Go here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3178343&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=41#post365107556

Edit2: Does anybody know if the second half of this email actually exists?

That's taken from a website that 1000 right-wing blogs copied in order to create the illusion of truth (argumentum ad populum). I've debunked this nonsense several times myself.

Nothing like comparing the actual text of the bill with what these clowns claim is says - since they would never bother doing that themselves. Good work.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

Heh, my friend got another email from the crazy Republicans in his law classes:

Did I mention she's pushing for governor now? It doesn't appear that she really listened much to the speech.

She was too busy twittering to listen:

quote:

Attending a joint session of Congress where Obama will again lend his support for socialized health care. I oppose his plan!

quote:

Obama says our health care problem is our deficit problem. what about his $1 trill spending spree this year?

quote:

I agree we need to incentivize preventative care and wellness

quote:

Obamas public option is Fannie Mae for health care. we wont pay now, but we will pay later.

She writes like she's in 8th grade.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

the posted:

I seriously can't understand how people who HAAAAAAAAAATE taxes expect the government to pay for anything. They're like little kids; do they think money grows on trees?

They read "Atlas Shrugged" and their eyes were opened...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bozz posted:

He replied with 3 comments:

Instead of bootstraps I got him this instead:

and

I realize he has a couple of points with the Obama administration but its pointless to acknowledge that since he's loving crazy.

You could also point out to him that the Constitution mere describes the form and limitations of the government of the US, not its economic system. Conflating unfettered capitalism with anything in the Constitution is a rather horrendous fallacy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wormil posted:

So my aunt's church invited an Iranian "girl", (maybe an exchange student, maybe a Mexican, I don't know) to visit their Sunday service and "expose" Obama and his secret plans with Russia to subvert democracy and turn America to communism. Also he apparently has secret plans with Iran to divide Israel into pieces and give each piece to a different Muslim nation. My aunt droned on for fifteen or twenty minutes warning of me various Obama-centric conspiracies that will bring doom and gloom upon freedom lovers. I was speechless, I really didn't know what to say. How can people be that stupid? Why would they believe this person would even be privy to secret plans? What does she have to gain by exposing these secret plans? Why does it not occur to them that she could have ulterior motives or that maybe she just likes to see how stupid and gullible some Americans can be?

You might suggest to your aunt that actions like that can endanger the church's tax-exempt status with the IRS. They can advocate political issues in general, but when it gets down to specific people, the trouble starts. I don't know if "ignorant bashing of a political figure" is sufficient, but it's enough to be a cause of concern.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

graventy posted:

Got this one a week ago.

I had no idea how to respond to this "WAR ON CHRISTMAS" bullshit, but I gave it a shot.

Oh, hey, now there is a snopes article on it. Turns out my relatives are the cutting edge of loony.
It's not a complete fabrication from what I remember.

One of the dozens of Christmas trees in Washington is decorated with ornaments representing all 50 states, each hand made. There was a story a few years ago about a Western governor who fobbed the job off to her 12-year-old son, who make a while ball with a pipe-cleaner skier, as Wyoming's (or CO's, or whomever's) official entry. Some of them are crazy elaborate works of art, some are simple.

It's not really an official, sanctioned program - just something informal. I can't find anything on it tonight. Here's one such story: http://www.allbusiness.com/manufacturing/nonmetallic-mineral-product-mfg/6153670-1.html

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Plom Bar posted:

I'm not 100% up on my American history/current events. Who's the victimized general's modern day equivalent? And is the honest senator meant to be John Kerry?

Get real. The victimized general would be Petraeus, while the honest senator would have to be Jim DeMint.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Funny how a lot of those 1959 sceanarios break down when you stop assuming the kid is white. Probably just a coincedence.
http://www.cjimagazine.com/content/view/222/530/

quote:

The deadliest school massacre in American history took place in Bath, Michigan. Andrew Kehoe, a school board member who was upset about a property tax levied to build the school, used explosives to kill himself and 45 people, most of them children in the second through sixth grades. The year was 1927.

In Houston, Texas—1959—Paul Orgeron, approached a teacher at Poe Elementary School and detonated a suitcase bomb, killing six people, including himself and his own son. Just seven years later in Austin, Texas—August 1, 1966—Charles Whitman, a mentally unstable ex-marine, murdered his mother and his wife, then climbed University of Texas at Austin’s 27-floor tower with an arsenal of weapons and barricaded himself in the observation deck. He shot and killed 15 people on the campus below, wounding 31 before police stormed the observation deck and shot him numerous times.

Kids these days just don't got any appreciation for how to massacre schoolkids like they used to.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

brucie boner posted:

Just had this CRAZY exchange with my Uncle Albert. Ol' Uncle Al's kinda a loon, as you can probably tell just by reading this :D We're talking about the latest concession to anti-choicer Ben Nelson on the Senate health bill.

Me: Nope, both the right and the left hate it that means it's centrist and that means it's good. :downs:

Uncle Al: On the issue of abortion, that's pretty much the case.

Me: How do you figure?

Uncle Al: Abortion is not a policy issue. It's not like anyone will oppose this because it's good or bad in some "good for the country" measurement, it's solely an issue of "does this favor the pro-choice or pro-life agenda more". If both sides are somewhat unhappy, it's probably a decent compromise, because neither side like compromises.

Your uncle would appear to be a fairly even-minded, insightful guy. You Uncle also appears to be a moderator on a popular internet forum. Small world.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

brucie boner posted:

My uncle also defending shooting white phosphorus into Palestinian refuge camps because the IDF needed it to cover troop movements and when I showed him photographic evidence that they were doing it 7 days before the invasion he got real mad and left in a huff.

Seeing as this is a deliberate derail of a thread to other purposes, I suggest you take your whining elsewhere.

In further defense of EvilWeasel, I have seen photographs of a shell-burst that looks in many ways similar to a white-phosphorus bomb, but the flaming material could have been any one of a dozen different materials. I've yet to see any evidence that it specifically was white phosphorus, as in a chemical analysis of the residue. It remains an unproved allegation from all I've seen.

I have no interest in this argument beyond this. Please don't poo poo up this thread with your own personal vendetta against a mod. This thread is for actual emails received by posters and responses to them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

oops, wrong thread.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Taerkar posted:

Hmm... This_Never_Happened.Txt, or perhaps he was just laughed off the podium before he even got half-way done?

I'd be afraid of any school that allows such Objectivist Tripe to be spouted.

http://boortz.com/more/commencement.html

Neal Boortz posted:

No, this speech has never been delivered at a college or a university. It was written to protest the fact that such an invitation has never been offered! It has only been delivered on my radio show, printed in my book "The Terrible Truth About Liberals" and produced on a limited edition CD. The irony is that this commencement speech has been more widely distributed, and has been the subject of more comment than any commencement speech that actually has been delivered at any college or university in the past 50 years. ©Copyright 2001, 2002, 2003 by Neal Boortz.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I wish you well, but I fear your quest is ultimately futile. They're not interested in facts or reality. They take their stances for emotional reasons based on what they wish were true. They don't care about the world as it is. They live in a fantasy world based on how they wish the world actually were.

It's equivalent to arguing with creationists. You'll never change their mind about anything through factual refutation, unfortunately.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ixjuvin posted:

Okay fellas, someone I know who is just a teeny bit nuts just threw this 'article' up on his FB.

I don't see this badboy up on Snopes or discussed here as far as I remember. Can y'all help me fire back at this? "Obviously, everything that a government does is legal" just makes me wince.
The definition of "terrorist" has been deliberately fudged in order to make it fit Washington.

Washington didn't deliberately target civilian populations. He fought as the head of a uniformed army, supported by an organized political entity (the Continental Congress).

Nonetheless, the British would have hanged him as a traitor if the revolution had failed. All the founders would have. Whether he was a hero or not depended entirely on who won.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ducttape posted:

1) Loved how it left out the fact that all the transactions were handled by Joseph, who was supposedly Gods go to guy for that generation.

2) Again, if memory serves, all that surplus came from Pharaoh instituting a heavy tax during the seven years of plenty

And the idea to store the excess grain came to Joseph in a dream sent by God. The thrust of the story is that the resulting famine forced Joseph's family to seek help, were then reunited with their lost brother, and the line of the Patriarchs then could be continued.

"What you intended for evil, God used for good" is the summation of the entire story. This email is offensive at quite a number of levels.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 23, 2010

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

jackpot posted:

He was fired for telling a joke where the implied punchline is "See, niggers are just like monkeys." It's hard to feel bad for a dumb fuckwit like that.

Yeah, that's the sad part. Rather than being horrified over the idiot sending it to him, he thought it was funny and immediately wanted to send it out to everyone he knew. Firing him is appropriate, as he has revealed a rather ugly side of his character.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

Which makes it even better because it is supposedly brand spanking new.

Nah, it's a verbatim recitation of a stupid post on a guy's blog about an earlier version of the bill that no longer exists. I went through and debunked half of these myself six months ago.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Related: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_04/023156.php

quote:

HUTAREE MILITIA MEMBER BELIEVED BOGUS CHAIN EMAIL.... Nine members of a Christian militia group were taken into federal custody this week, based on evidence that the group was poised to launch a deadly plot. One of the nine was apparently enraged by a bogus claim she received a right-wing chain email. (via Justin Elliott)

quote:

A member of the Hutaree militia charged with federal crimes was upset because she thought that President Barack Obama had signed into law this month a bill that would spend $20 billion to help the terrorist group Hamas settle in the U.S.

There was never any such legislation, but Tina Stone believed it was the truth, according to her Facebook account.
Not quite two weeks ago, the woman posted to Facebook, lamenting the fact that H.B. 1388 passed. She wrote, "I'm peeved,,, when people in this country is getting kicked out of there homes everyday and our government passes a bill to spend more then 20 billion dollars to bring Hamas here and supplies them with food and homes that just wrong." [grammatical errors in the original]

Soon after, she added, "I'm so stressed I could KILL someone!!!!!!!"

For the record, H.B. 1388 was a national service bill, expanding AmeriCorps. It included no money for Hamas.

Now, Tina Stone was already part of a radical group long before she received this silly email with absurd claims. But it didn't help.

It also leads me to wonder just how much better off our collective national intelligence would be if ridiculous right-wing chain emails didn't exist.

So the claim that these emails are just harmless venting appears to have a little less credibility now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

For the record my dad is a family practice doctor that owns his pretty good sized practice and hasn't taken a pay check yet this year to cover his expenses and paying for his staff's payroll, which he says is because medicare has been pushing off their reimbursement cycle over and over.

Tort reform is largely a red herring. Ask your Dad to support his assertions about it, as numerous studies and trial projects have shown tort costs are largely irrelevant to health care costs.

OB/Gyns have a legitimate beef, as people tend to sue any time a baby is born with a birth defect whether the doctor had anything to do with it or not - and juries tend to sympathize with the poor parents regardless of the facts. I know of no other field of medicine where torts are a genuine problem, though. Torts are currently the only way patients are able to hold doctors accountable for serious malpractice.

As for the rest, he's right that there aren't major cost controls in the current bill - it was a fight they chose to leave for another day. The main goal was to get as many Americans covered as possible for now. His problems with Medicare are probably not unique, but not really a part of the current legislation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Tough posted:

It's just a little disturbing. Especially when they constantly misidentify Army personnel as Marines.

But there are Marine guards at the White House. Marines are responsible for guarding most government installations. The President's personal helicopter is Marine One, so there's a detachment assigned to the White House directly for maintaining that, as well.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

A new one from my step dad:

Hmm. Star Parker is now running for Congress (CA-37). I don't see any possibility of her using emails as viral campaign marketing, do you?

She's insane anyway, but the timing on this is just a wee bit suspicious.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

One from last year making the rounds again as May approaches

A Wisconsin Appeals court just found NDoP to be unconstitutional:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gd8532foDasi_HtAzi9JolkMVlqQD9F3PCE00

So you can write them back and ask whether or not they think Obama should pay attention to the Constitution.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I never got the truth behind that. Did it really happen or was he just making a joke about how tired he was of campaigning day in and day out?

There were 57 contests overall for the Democratic nomination, including US territories like Guam and stuff. Obama slipped one day and said "57 states", and tea baggers have gone berserk with it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

notcreativeenough posted:

Where is this Hitler was a gifted and talented public speaker coming from? He basically shouts and rants playing on the already existing anger of the crowd. That isn't being gifted at all or being talented. Has even a single German speaker said that Hitler was gifted and talented public speaker? Because to my English hearing hears I just hear ranting and screaming and a already favorable crowd reacting to that.

My minister is going to be very upset to learn that she's a closet Nazi.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Earlier today I saw a bumper sticker that said "UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU TO SPEAK ENGLISH". I'll never understand this argument that you must know English if you wish to live and work in America. All of the anger for dialing one to continue, I just don't get it.

What's even better is that all the bitching about stores being bilingual and stuff is due to free market capitalism - Penny's sells more pants if they have clerks who speak Spanish. No one is forcing the bilingual stuff, it's all voluntary in search of higher sales.

So they want government to step in and interfere with business' right to make money the way they see fit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel bad following up that welfare email but

That's technically true, but only if your capital gains is over $250,000 for and individual or $500,000 for a couple. So if you sell your home for $400,000, you owe a tax on it only if:
a) You are living in it by yourself, and
b) You bought it for less than $150,000.

In that case, you would owe 3.8% tax on the capital gains over $250,000 - but not on the full sale price of the house. It applies to all capital gains, by the way, not just house sales.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/realestate.asp

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

This blog post seemed quite closely tied to this thread:

quote:

American right-wing leaders are responding to complaints about their adherents’ insults, threats, and acts of violence by claiming that such problems occur on the left as well. Of course, they don’t dare to compare and quantify such behavior. That would mean acknowledging that, for example, Congressional historians find no precedent for Rep. Joe Wilson shouting at the President during a joint session of Congress. Or that the Secret Service reported a 400% increase in threats to the President when Barack Obama took office.

To keep on top of urban myths of all kinds, I subscribe to the Snopes.com update list, and I noticed a pattern there that I thought deserved to be examined more arithmetically. It struck me I was seeing a lot more rumors about President Obama, and a lot more false rumors, than I remembered from earlier years. So I ran the numbers, as of this week.

After eight years in the White House (with Snopes.com around all that time), George W. Bush has been the subject of 47 internet rumors. After less than two years in office, Barack Obama has been the subject of 87, or nearly twice as many.

Even more telling is the relative accuracy of those stories. For Bush, 20 rumors, or 43%, are true. Only 17, or 36%, are false. The remainder are of mixed veracity (4), undetermined (4), or unclassifiable (2).

In contrast, for Obama only 8 of the 87 rumors, or 9%, are true, and a whopping 59, or 68%, are whoppers. There are 16 of mixed veracity and 3 undetermined.

I delved down to the stories that the site designates as a mixture of truth and falsehood. For Obama, in most cases the truth is innocuous while the lie reflects poorly on the President, particularly photographs that are misrepresented or show behavior that produced no complaints when his predecessors did the same. In contrast, in this mixture of truth and falsehood about George W. Bush praying with an injured soldier, the lie reflected well on that President from the perspective of the religious person spreading it.

I looked on Snopes’s Politics page for another pair of politicians in parallel situations, and found the losing candidates of the last two presidential elections. Snopes’s page on John Kerry lists 22 rumors, and only 3 are true (14%). Its page for John McCain lists only 11 rumors, and 4 are true (36%). There are far more rumors about the Democratic candidate, and fewer true ones.

This evidence accumulated over ten years shows a shameful but undeniable fact of American politics: our right wing now contains a lot more liars, and a lot more folks who spread lies out of gullibility or wishfulness, than our left wing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HOMOGOD JEFF posted:

Just got this email from my dad. Not sure how to respond, if at all..

---------------

This video backs up my statement that Obama is a muslim...watch this and tell me if you still disagree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tCAffMSWSzY#t=28

----------

Article VI, U.S. Constitution posted:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.
Ask your Dad why he hates the Constitution. Obama's religion has no relevance to anything.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

I wrote out a response to the Arpaio email posted earlier today. Added some bible verses since that's the crowd I was emailing.

I did have links but I didn't want to paste them in the above quote but I can add them if anyone is interested.

Well done. Another good quote is from the Sermon on the Mount, Luke 6:27-36

quote:

27"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I know it goes without saying, but Bullshit, none of that ever happened. What I love most is how it's from a guy from a guy who knows a guy who listened to a guy talk about some friends of his who were told by their barber that a raghead bought some cellphones.

Women wearing burqas in Fresno seemed quite improbable to me, so I googled it. Sure enough, Snopes has already debunked it: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/burqacell.asp

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

the posted:

It would be interesting also to see the reactions of conservatives.

What happens when you take an illegal immigrant, arguably one of the most hated and despised person in a conservative's mind, and change them into a U.S. Soldier, the most beloved and revered person in a conservative's mind?

How do they reconcile that?

From my own experiences, their response is generally to block them out, mentally. Those sorts of soldiers don't exist as far as they're concerned. Blue-eyed blond Aryans tend to be all they will acknowledge as real soldiers fighting for Mom, apple pie, and baconators.

The ability to ignore completely inconvenient facts in preference to fantasy is a highly desired and greatly valued skill among modern conservatives.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

UltraPenguinX posted:

This is the phrase that all older conservative (mostly my dad) use that will never fail to make me angry. It's such a cop out. "Oh, my opinion is correct by virtue of you not having enough 'life experience' to form a 'correct' opinion."

Apparently the older you get, the more selfish, ignorant, and racist you get, I suppose.

Being older (51), my political orientation really hasn't changed since I was 5 years old. I've gotten more pragmatic as I've aged, as I've learned how the system works and what is possible (and what is not).

I think what's really at work is that as you get older, you start not to give a poo poo what anyone thinks of your opinions any more. Superficial attitudes affected for social reasons gradually fall away, and you start to see the person as they've always been. Sometimes it's not pretty.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Childlike Empress posted:

Oh hey, an e-mail from mom. Oh sh

quote:

last thought: i really thought the pacific islands (tonga, tahiti, hawaii, fiji, etc.) would be the next area to 'go down' because indonesia was taken over by muslims.... very silently, very quickly, VERY SCARY..... but now i say, i was wrong....... now i say: continental US is gonna be the next place to "go down"...
WE CANNOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!

:psyduck:

You might want to tell your mom that the Muslim conquest of Indonesia took place in the 12th century. Those darn Muslims sure were smart and prescient to know that they'd have to wait 900 years to have a chance to invade North America.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha how did you all miss this gem?

What is that even supposed to mean?
[/quote]

You see, NYC has this subway that's just a series of tubes...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vilerat posted:

The email I got from my right wing old person fw:fw: connection wasn't supportive of Mcchrystal at all.

quote:

As long as politicians run the wars, there will be no satisfying conclusion.

I think.

Does this person not realize that the President is the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, and every war has been run by politicians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Habibi posted:

Does anyone know anything about this: 'Six Months to go until the largest tax hike in history? My cousin just forwarded me the link with the disclaimer "If we overlook the right wing rhetoric, this article breaks down some of the upcoming tax situation in laymen terms. Are taxes way too loving high or what?" I'm tempted to respond that if we overlook the right wing rhetoric we might be looking at a blank page, but I can't find any information on this outside of (surprise) really right wing sites.
First off, they're lying. Letting the Bush tax cuts expire is not a tax increase. If the Republicans had meant for them to be permanent, they could have passed the law that way. As it was, they passed it as a temporary measure. No one is passing any laws to make them go up, it's happening all on its own. If anyone is to blame, it's the Republicans because they chose to have their tax cuts expire next year.

Perhaps this article will will also help. Tell your friend that complaining about how high taxes are when they're the lowest they've been in 60 years makes him a douche.

In all seriousness, though, there ought to be a pretty big tax hike in the next few years, because we are rather radically undertaxed at the moment. The government (at all levels) simply doesn't have the money to provide the services that people expect them to provide. The "wasteful government spending" your friend thinks should be cut is starting to include things like fire departments and police protection.