Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Techno Remix posted:

With a lot of conspiracy theories I can at least follow the lines and determine who’s supposed to benefit from this being true.

Flat earth is one I can’t ever figure out the who or why. Who benefits? Who is the “they” in “what they aren’t telling you”?

Nearly every Flat Earther I've ever encountered is also Biblical Literalist type Christian, so it's usually attributed to an attempt to make people disbelieve the Bible and so not be Real True Christians(tm). Most of the time they'll admit the connection, sometimes they try to pretend it's not and it's just pure scientific truth unrelated to their religious beliefs.

E: So the answer to your question is that "they" are evil secular humanists who serve the Devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I'm guessing every character and animal wears glasses because the artist can't draw eyeballs for some reason?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Caps Lock is like cruise control for cool.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The president of a whole-rear end country?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Guavanaut posted:

I think those artists just had a thing for feet.

Bare feet = innocence. Wearing shoes means you know what sex is, which means you're a whore.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Magnetic North posted:

Seems like 'your' is the wrong word here, rather than 'their' perhaps?

With 'your' it reads like "Yes, it's true. This man has no dick."

Nah, it's transphobia.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Somebody's gonna cut of his catalytic converter. It's lifted enough to make it easy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pictured: getting rid of God.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm going to guess Democratic Election Workers and it's a joke stolen from liberals in the Obama era, back when there was actual GOTV efforts that you might get tired of people canvassing you.

I'm probably wrong though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dirk the Average posted:

I don't understand how people can be this dense. I sincerely hope that this is an april fool's joke or something. There's just absolutely nothing in that post that is attached to reality in any way.

Dunning-Krueger gets misinterpreted and misquoted but there's some truth to the wrong reading. Some people are so arrogant that they assume the things they don't know about a topic must be inconsequential, because if they were important they'd know them because they're smart. This is a great example: this guy doesn't know a goddamn thing about what it would take to build a bridge like that but assumes that there's nothing important to know beyond what he already knows.

In this case he's doubly stupid because he's bought into the bullshit about 3d printing, AI, etc and assumes that it can do what he proposes here.

(This is the same way you get climate change deniers smugly asserting that they can "debunk" it by mentioning volcanoes, as if there's never been any climatologists who study the impact of volcanic emissions on the composition of the atmosphere and include it in their models.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VitalSigns posted:

That was due to lobbying from the butter industry to make margarine look gross. There were also some states that made it illegal for margarine manufacturers to dye white margarine yellow to look like butter for the same reason.

Margarine was actually really bad for a long time though because the process of hydrogenating vegetable oil created trans fats as a byproduct, and the harm wasn't recognized until the 1990s, and regulations requiring margarine to not contain trans fats didn't come around until the 2000s.

My favorite fun fact about margarine is that for a long while in the early-to-mid 20th century it was the primary driver of industrial whaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

LonsomeSon posted:

enlisting in the US Army led directly to my becoming an anarchist

Navy but I recognize a fellow traveler.