Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Too non-believable and too few statistics or facts that the person will (probably) not look up.

I would go with...

"BILL HR 3501 will make it illegal to criticize the new health plan"

"It would create a new federal prison camp, some already under construction (picture) that would house prisoners from the new secret and unaccountable court system..."

Or something to that affect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Isn't that all the Ayn Rand arguments? Ask him if he follows Ayn Rand, then ask if he supports the drug war.

The funny thing about these emails, and the fact that whatshisname is creating a new fake one for kicks... is just maybe all the emails in this thread are sourced somewhere in the bowels of some other internet forum, with users cackling at the hilarity that their poo poo is getting sent around, and in turn sharing with each other the amazing stupidity of this new email they just got about federal prison camps..

:psyduck:

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
In 20 years, the majority of the US is going to be Muslim?

MY GOD, I better get quiverfilling!

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
That guy sure is scared of a lot of things

He has pretty tight requirements of who can be the president.

A president must have grown up in America, owned a company, been in the military, never have any friends with radical ideas, be in favour of non-renewable energy over renewable energy, something about geese, and must not believe he is God.

I am scared because you are not the last guy!

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Vilerat posted:

10. He is known around Washington as a public drunk, loud, boisterous, and
very disrespectful to ladies. JERK is a better description than "great
American". "A blonde in every pond" is his motto.

Pfff, the man was RAD

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
You Americans are loving ludicrous.

I wish you guys could send everyone to a foreign country for a bit to see that it's completely awesome.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
That is one hell of a lot of adjectives.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Plom Bar posted:

In Canada, our weirdos all come from Alberta.

Which, incidentally, is the only province to not have socialized health care, and where I'm from.

:smith:

Haha, that's funny I'm from there too, and never ever want to go back. Alberta == the Texas of Canada. Though I'm not sure what you're talking about, since it still has universal health care. B.C. has the same health charges that you have pay which are only if you earn enough, same as Alberta. Although maybe it changed recently? I was there only 1 year ago though, and had 100% free healthcare, so I think you're definition of universal might not be the same as mine.

They did try to abolish the system though, and Alberta was the only province in Canada to oppose gay marriage.

The last Premier of Alberta was also a complete drunk

and famous for stumbling into a homeless shelter after a hard night of drinking, yelling at the homeless people to get a job, and throwing money on the floor.

Alberta is also home to the some of the world's worst environmental disasters that no one talks about.

The capitol city is famous for tasering jaywalkers.

I could go on.

Glad I don't live there anymore.

dphrag fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 6, 2009

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No, that's pretty much just-as-crazy.

In the future, the cute sounding girl at the pizza place will be able to see that you are, in fact, impotent.

Enjoy your sprout sub, loser!

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Chajara posted:

My sister just sent me this:

We will immediately go into a two year isolationist attitude in order to straighten out the greedy big business posture in this country. America will allow NO imports, and we'll do no exports.

:ughh:

So... no oil for America? Sounds like a good plan actually!

Though methinks they don't mean energy imports!

Cardboard Box A posted:

This map is a bit weird. I see the point, but you could redraw it in several ways and capture some other combination of income and population that may seem equally valid. And apparently the only wall holding away the masses of asia is..... the Korean DMZ? What about the Chinese-Korean border which keeps the more affluent Chinese protected from a flood of Korean refugees?

Also, if the point is to get a high statistic of income vs. world population, you would want to include the high gdp per capita ratio countries of UAE, Brunei, and Singapore, though I guess that is the dot over near Aussie there..

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

ManoliIsFat posted:

Christian groups are the ones filing all the FCC complaints against college radio and public radio stations all the time, too. They got crews of people to listen to your station 24 hours a day so they can file some complaints and hopefully get the station fined which will assuredly shut it down or at least make renewing the license a huge task. Then, when the independent station gets shut down, the Christians buy the bandwidth and pop up another Christian talk/music station. A group of people totally pumped about destroying independent media.

The system you describe sounds pretty much antithetical to free speech. Sad.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Hey, I saw a documentary with that Gene Robinson guy. When he was ordained as a bishop, he had to wear a bullet proof vest under his vestments in light of the flurry of death threats.

WWJD? http://www.theonion.com/content/news/christ_kills_two_injures_seven_in

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Toasticle posted:

-This is being signed in blood I guess because not even our 'future governments' will be able to undo this horror once it is writ

I dunno what the gently caress, never heard of this treaty with satan.

Hey once a treaty is signed, there is no earthly power that may unbind it! It'll be up to Jesus then...

Though you can't beat the quote "your constitution says that [the treaty] takes precedence over your constitution."

This guy is a nutbar.

edit: his other problem is that it uses the word "government" to describe it's governing body, and is thus, the start of the world government. O lawdy.

edit2: this guy is classy, calling for the permanent quarantining of HIV positive people, in an article called "The Myth of Heterosexual AIDS"

dphrag fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 22, 2009

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

chesh posted:

even women raped in Africa under the mistaken belief that loving a virgin would cure you of AIDS

Interestingly, this point is debatable:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/babyrape.asp

However Snopes' article is dated, and wikipedia links to a couple medical papers that describe single instances of an individual having been raped under the pretense it would cure aids, but I cannot find a wider based statistical study that confirms this is a widely held belief.

Interestingly, it may have been the very media that threw up a storm about it that created the folk belief, not the other way around. From Snopes: "Their study found 60% of participants first heard of the cleansing theory in the media"

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Armyman25 posted:

So there is no such thing as a group effort in their world? I would think that since the students are paying to be at the course, they would put forth enough effort not to fail. The students are there to earn a degree, not just pass one class.

I'm pretty sure a class average of F is not the Nash Equilibrium.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe I don't understand Nash Equilibrium very well but in this shared grades situation it seems like a class average of 0 would be the Nash Equilibrium.

Considering that all scores from 0 to 59 are equally worthless it's doubly true.

bgaesop posted:

A Nash Equilibrium is when no action taken by only one person can improve their own situation. If no one person increasing their own scores could bump the class average above a 59, then that is a Nash Equilibrium.

Well I just threw this NE out there for shits and giggles and was initially talking out of my rear end... but now that we're on it....

The NE is probably not 0, simply because it is not score that people are optimizing on, it's study time vs. free time and how much utility they get out of their grade compared to that time. People don't choose what score they want or choose 0, their score is based on some function score(n), and they choose to study 0,1,2,3..n hours, and their utility is a function of both score and time spent studying, some function U(n) = score(n) + time(n) or whatever. That is what they maximize on, not score.

in this case, score is averaged out, so basically no one person can make a significant difference to the average score no matter how much they study, up OR down, then the score(n) portion of the utility function basically becomes exogenous and all utility is derived from time spent studying, that is U(n) = score - time(n).

For all students to study 0 hours, we must assume all students derive only negative utility from studying. Then further, for them to all fail we must assume the average of score(0) for all students is < 59.

Dr.Arbitrary would be right if score(0) = 0 for all students and time(n) was negative for all n for all students. bgaesop is right if score is the only part of utility (in which case, any score is an NE).

None of these assumptions are likely true. Students study anyway because they derive pleasure other than their score (surprisingly some people go to school to learn!), and some students will score > 59 with 0 hours of studying anyway.

Since, at the beginning of the game all students would realize that no matter how hard they did or did not study would not change their score (unless they're idiots), they would choose to study the amount based only on maximizing utility of time(n), and thus their first score was the score they would get on all tests. That is, the score outcome of the NE of U(n) in this case was a B.

So basically, Armyman was on the ball (and in far fewer words).

gently caress that was a seriously neurotic derail.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Plom Bar posted:

The story is also a complete and utter fabrication right from the word "An". Just sayin'.

oh yeah. The REAL equilibrium is that everyone drop the loving class and complain to the dean.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
"Christ is ?The Reason' for the Christ-mas Season!"

Is not the origin of Christmas a pagan holiday?

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Saying hello in another language: sign of weakness. You guys can expect to be invaded by the Japs tomorrow.

Pearl Harbour 2: Bow Down.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
So when you get flung from a car in a car accident and raced to the hospital, you better hope to god your wallet with proof of citizenship didn't fall out of your pocket or you'll be left to die like the non-citizen you are!

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Or for that matter, just work under the table.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And lo Jesus said "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and then be sure to make a huge stink about it and never stop playing the victim. In fact if you want you can even poo poo on obvious concessions to your religion in some snarky disingenous attempt at imaginary self-harm, really try it. It's hilarious."

Completely irrelevant, but this reminds me of supply side jesus: http://www.beliefnet.com/News/2003/09/The-Gospel-Of-Supply-Side-Jesus.aspx?p=1

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Gripen5 posted:

Supply side Jesus is never irrelevant.

Leprosy is a matter of personal responsibility!

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Anything that starts with "Maybe he's wrong... BUT WHAT IF HE'S RIGHT" can be safely ignored.

I think AIDS is caused by aluminium. Maybe I'm wrong... BUT WHAT IF I WAS RIGHT?!?!?

:eek:

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
I'm pretty sure millionaires have email addresses?

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

ducttape posted:

Economics classroom, now with 30% less straw:

You have full permission to reply with this if you ever encounter the original.

Hey, another "game" for me to rip apart.. heh..

This does remind me, however, of a horrible game called "capitalism" that my philosophy TA played in a seminar class... basically the game will end with one person "owning" everything, and several people dying from starvation.

At the time I was but a first year econ student, but in retrospect, it was blatantly retarded. Make a game in which people "die" and one person ends with all the power, then name it whatever ism you don't like. Education!

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Strudel Man posted:

I strongly suspect that the equilibrium point would not be anywhere near an F.

Though of course, I also imagine it would depend on the classroom. A business class might well trend down to F territory, with hard sciences doing better, and perhaps social sciences better still. An interesting question.

A few pages back I was tweaking out on coffee and wrote an analysis of the game for shits and giggles.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Schweig und tanze posted:

Seriously...the implication that lazyass coloreds sit around with their thumbs up their asses while hardworking white amurricans bootstrap it on up is insulting, racist, and ridiculous.

So what´s the deal anyway, has the "for the people" part of government been completely eliminated? I mean, wtf is even the point of government if not to help in times of crisis. In fact, I believe I read an academic theory on sovereignty somewhere that stated the very *definition* of government is the body which is called upon in time of crisis.

But gently caress... hurr... coloureds!

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Yeah, good old belief perseverance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief_perseverance#Persistence_of_discredited_beliefs

I always find the psych experiment where they tell people one set of information, then a week later tell them it was completely false (it was), and then a week later ask the people to answer some questions, and it always turns up that some people still believe the first thing they are told.

I think this is why religion targets the young.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

RagnarokAngel posted:

You're making an assumption that the leaders of religions are pushing false information on people they KNOW is false rather than honestly believing it.

Actually, I wasn't making that assumption at all. If the top adherents do truely believe, they still want to "spread the word" most effectively by getting in before the youth are "poisoned" by other ideas.

They may not be purposefully taking advantage of belief perseverance.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

burritonegro posted:

Islamic law taking over Europe:

Geert Wilders is a Dutch Member of

Nice timing, news just came out buddy is now being prosecuted for inciting hatred and discrimination.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7842344.stm

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

When the closing ceremony ends and nothing has happened, be sure to "reply all" this back to whoever sent it to you, with a picture of you rolling your eyes attached.

Well obviously they couldn't execute it because these internet detectives were onto their game!

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
No my favourite part is:

Vilerat posted:

Hopefully China isn't one of them.

Is the U.S. at war with China?

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Jeeze dude, read the link he posted dummy LOL OMG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
So I just found out my friend died of cancer recently, though they passed four months ago. I posted on my facebook, and my friend who... homeschools his children, and doesn't vaccinate them, and has 3 so far... responds...

http://i.imgur.com/N1kxu.png

FFS. Can't I just post my quirky RIP status post without being told IT'S THE GUVMENTS FAULT?