Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

quote:

> You won't have any TV as the Space Center in Houston will cut off
> satellite communications.

ahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stoic Madman posted:

No such treaty exists. And states don't have the right to secede. The Supreme Court and the Civil War say so.

I love how he thinks Houston Space Center can control all satellites and that everyone will support this mad little endeavor.

Er, not true. States have the right to secede, but a majority of the other states have to agree to the secession.

Of course that's never going to happen, but still.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zwabu posted:

The idea that someone aside from American rightwingers is doing this is a bit frightening to me.

That story originated with some Argentinian satirist publishing an article in the 80s. It used to be passed around by fax machine chain faxes, and I think was originally presented as a set of pages in an "upcoming textbook". I assume these days someone's redone the images to look nice and repackaged it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

crime fighting hog posted:

The part about being a sovereign state has to be bullshit right?

All US States are technically Sovereign states but it does not mean what that guy thinks it means in this context.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turing sex machine posted:

Why the hell would Muslims be offended by the Holocaust? They were neither the victims nor the perpetrators.

:pseudo:The President of Iran denies the Holocaust THEREFORE all Muslims are offended by it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

freebooter posted:

How much taxes do Americans actually pay? Compared to other first world nations? Because the level of bitching is astronomical.

Much less, usually, especially for sales taxes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Deuce posted:

I'm fairly certain no state pays out $1500 per person in welfare per month.

Funnily enough though, it costs around $1500 a month to house a prisoner.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Deuce posted:

Or that anybody considered communism to be some giant threat to the world before WWII.

You are aware of the First Red Scare of 1917-1920 right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Deuce posted:

I was under the impression that that was more of a fear of anarchists than outright communists but my knowledge of that time is sketchy I'll admit.

Communists and anarchists were assumed to be one and the same and Wilson's government hunted them down ruthlessly. Do remember that this was the time period of the Soviet Union being formed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pungent Mammy posted:

• Woodrow Wilson had many people killed for disagreeing with him.

That's pretty much an accurate description of the first Red Scare to be honest.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ManoliIsFat posted:

I really don't think that's true. Everyone's got a stereotype of a Mexican strawberry picker making $2 and hour, but I'm pretty even those jobs are over minimum wage. Employers work them an illegal amount of hours and days, but we have to be talking about the reality of their hardship, not some caricature. I'm not in school anymore, so I can't do a quick search myself, but I can't imagine there's not a bunch of studies on this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were paying the old federal minimum wage ($5.15 an hour) instead of the new one ($7.25 an hour) though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw it's not just $5000, you couldnt do that here unless you lived in the mountains or something. I believe he means in addition.

Welfare is $150 to $250 a month, that's $1800 to $300 a year.

Seriously, that's how much you get.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BonoMan posted:

Yeah no I didn't mean "in total" ..I meant in addition to.

And sorry fishmech, but it's crazy easy to abuse the system and get more than that a year. Not a LOT more mind you, but people with kids can amass a couple grand more than that per month. But like I said...it doesn't equate to some high living. It's pretty lovely honestly.

No they can't.

You'd have to have 6 kids to even get over $1000 a month, and frankly, you're going to need all that money just to keep them fed and clothed.

And that doesnt even count the time spent being pregnant to have all 6 kids.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RagnarokAngel posted:

I assume that doesn't include food stamps etc.?

I apologize for my ignorance and this isn't a "drat lazy poor getting free money" post just you couldnt pay rent with that money let alone feed and clothe yourself.

Food stamps are only spendable on food - and they aren't enough to keep you fed, being on the order of $50-$75 a month at most.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not really getting the answer I need so I ask it.
How does anyone live on that when the poverty line is like 20k?

They, uh, don't really. Don't forget that you can only be on welfare for a few years at a time.

Welfare isn't something you live on it's something that helps you live off of your savings while you try to get another job.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RagnarokAngel posted:

Apparently this is true in the sense that a Walmart in Brockton is starting to use RFIDs with Gillette but will disable them upon checkout.

I mean I hate Wal Mart as much as I'm sure most of you do but seriously what the hell?

I just noticed that story is dated 2003. Of course, most stores have been using RFID tags as anti-theft protection even before then.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RagnarokAngel posted:

Didn't even notice that. Apparently Wal Mart is going to try it again so this articles been making the rounds again.

They've never stopped doing it though. RFID in stuff that's expensive or easy to steal is standard practice, that's what makes the detector things at the doors beep and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RagnarokAngel posted:

I know it's been said but I still think we should take it.

I think we should take it and then immediately reconquer them. And then do Reconstruction RIGHT.