Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Yes, that is a spectacular specimen of quality photo right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A4530-Enhanced-NR by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A4506 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A4431 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Those birds

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

:tipshat:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

R0005307 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0005280 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0005301 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0005401 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0005455 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Blue squares have you ever been asked to be a DOP on a film?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Blue squares have you ever been asked to be a DOP on a film?

No but that would be super fun to do!

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Viginti Septem posted:

First outing with the old Soviet lens, the Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 mounted to a tilt-shift adapter on the a7Riii.

These are great! Which tilt-shift adapter, if y'don't mind?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

rockear posted:

These are great! Which tilt-shift adapter, if y'don't mind?

Hey thanks! This is the tilt shift adapter I use for the Helios

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1446000400...emis&media=COPY

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:eyepop: very nice

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

idk if this screams "i'm in high school and using a camera for the first time" or what but i kinda dig it :3:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

idk if this screams "i'm in high school and using a camera for the first time" or what but i kinda dig it :3:

This was one of the very first "i'm a photographer" compositions I did, too haha. Except yours is much better; I like the way the two bridges are balanced perfectly in the middle of the chain link, and the motion blur of the cars. I think this is a common shot, but that yours is rewarding to look at. Would be even better without the light pole, probably

R0005516 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Don't Park on the Meter by Carl Jones, on Flickr

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

haruspicy
Feb 10, 2023

tremendous

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

R0005682 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0005674 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0005636 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Last one is in a hotel lobby

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Love by Carl Jones, on Flickr

Militancy by Carl Jones, on Flickr

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

R0005845 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0005910 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A4823 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A4770 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It'd be nice to not ID people who can suffer professional damage from attending protests like this one.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
It's a public protest?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Viginti Septem posted:

It's a public protest?

Being photographed at protests has led to charges and/or arrests later(usually dropped but it's a form of police harassment.)

The real lesson is that everyone should mask up and wear nondescript clothing if you're going to a protest or march or rally.

Still waiting for my film or I'd post something photography related

edit: vv well yes, ideally

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 3, 2024

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Admiral Bosch posted:

Being photographed at protests has led to charges and/or arrests later(usually dropped but it's a form of police harassment.)

The real lesson is that everyone should mask up and wear nondescript clothing if you're going to a protest or march or rally.

Still waiting for my film or I'd post something photography related

It truly sucks that this happens. Seems the issue that should be corrected is police harassment.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
You kind of need people to document protests for them to have any effect. It's no help if just the police documents them (which they will do).

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Yea, that seems like the whole point of people going to a public space to protest. They WANT to intrude on everyday life for a bit to bring attention to a cause.

Again I circle back to the police being the problem in this case. Much like when cops/cities limit WHERE public protests can happen, where they choose areas that won't affect everyday life. That's the whole point of the protest, to affect everyday life, and bring attention to the cause.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

It'd be nice to not ID people who can suffer professional damage from attending protests like this one.

It is a public march, through a major city high street with god knows how many CCTV cameras, which remained fully civil, and had by my count 11 other photographers. I have been through the work of at least 7 of them, they also posted whatever they got. There were about 16 police officers posted on the march too. There were also regular adults, mothers and children. This is not photography of direct action, but just a standard march on another week in a city. The police were even notified in advance, and effectively stewarded the pathway the march took.

If it were direct action where the distinction between private individual and public action were blurred, or if it lost civility, I would act responsibly by discarding any photographs I took of the march. This did not happen, however. For example, if it was photographic evidence of key individuals committing a crime in the name of activism as part of the Elbit occupation not too far from where I live, I would never take a picture and never share it if I did unless all individuals were fully masked. However, this was a public march with pre-notice given to local law enforcement.

The purpose of the march is to draw attention. To then hide away all evidence that it took place would be to undermine the very effort. I know people like to take this approach of acting like every protest carries risk for everyone in attendance, but they apply it too broadly and on the wrong demonstrations.

I am from someone who is personally involved in all of this stuff through various orgs and associations. I know what I am doing and would treat it would caution and care if the action was of any nature that could bring personal harm. Those organising, to whom I am affiliated, even called for as many pictures to be taken and disseminated as possible, so as to prove the point that people do not support the cause is false. Nobody at this march was under any illusion. As stated by others, the issue isn't that physical memory of the action exists, it is that police can harass for it. But they need cause, and they gave this their blessing.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
It's good to hear that you're involved in the movement and have contact with the protesters and had been encouraged to be there and to disseminate.

Though, it is good to always be aware of potential issues with privacy like evil_bunnY was doing. Especially around certain topics and in certain locations. If this was taken in China and those protesters were there to push for rights to Taiwan...

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Absolutely. Keeping in mind what is being photographed and why it is happening is a key concern when it comes to public action.

However, I have personally organised more radical action than this march. This is what I'd tout as the march of the wrinklies, with not a single speaker at the pre-speeches under 40. If the police were going for anyone, it would have been 3 months ago, or for the sporadic occupations of private or civilian infrastructure. However, I never photographed any of those, for the reasons above.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Viginti Septem posted:

It's a public protest?
brah. Inform yourself.

Another Person posted:

It is a public march, through a major city high street with god knows how many CCTV cameras, which remained fully civil, and had by my count 11 other photographers. I have been through the work of at least 7 of them, they also posted whatever they got. There were about 16 police officers posted on the march too. There were also regular adults, mothers and children. This is not photography of direct action, but just a standard march on another week in a city. The police were even notified in advance, and effectively stewarded the pathway the march took.

If it were direct action where the distinction between private individual and public action were blurred, or if it lost civility, I would act responsibly by discarding any photographs I took of the march. This did not happen, however.
it's nice that you at least did some due diligence. If the peeps you shoot are legit consenting adults, go wild.

I've just seen waaaaay too many people charged/talked to/fired on bullshit grounds simply for holding signs, with zero violence or property damage involved.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 3, 2024

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Post more photos

313A4918 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A4903 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A4899 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Clever cropping

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks!

313A5063 by Austin DeGroot

313A5081-Enhanced-NR by Austin DeGroot

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

blue squares posted:

Post more photos

313A4918 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

this is great

this is from my trip to nepal last year

this is from my trip to china many years ago

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That motorcycle rider photo is cool as hell

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grilledcheese posted:

this is great

this is from my trip to nepal last year

this is from my trip to china many years ago

Love both of these

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

blue squares posted:

This was one of the very first "i'm a photographer" compositions I did, too haha. Except yours is much better; I like the way the two bridges are balanced perfectly in the middle of the chain link, and the motion blur of the cars. I think this is a common shot, but that yours is rewarding to look at. Would be even better without the light pole, probably

hahaha this is very nice of you, thank you! i didn't even really notice the symmetry of the bridges or consider that the light pole worked against the composition overall, but both points make sense and will help me (as your other feedback in this and the landscape thread already has) take better photos.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I don’t know how to explain this but initially looking at this on my phone had me thinking the yellow road sign was a guy in the yellow Bruce Lee/Kill Bill suit jumping really high up in the air

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

that rules. i drive past this spot often and now im going to see that sign and think about the jumpsuit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I don’t know how to explain this but initially looking at this on my phone had me thinking the yellow road sign was a guy in the yellow Bruce Lee/Kill Bill suit jumping really high up in the air

Oh wow I'm not the only one. I wasn't going to bother mentioning it but now that you did lol