Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ah, I thought they might fall under a larger umbrella.

Well, I suppose the people walking by in the background certainly count, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dang, I thought I had a good one but the subject didn't come out that interesting after all :(

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Here are a some shots from today. Some of these are cropped, thought not too heavily (by my reckoning anyway). A lot were shot from the hip. I suck at shooting from the hip. I have no idea which way my camera is pointing.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ah, I thought they might fall under a larger umbrella.

Really? I think the guy in the yellow jacket and the delivery guy are some of the sharpest I've ever taken, and considering they're medium format, that's pretty drat sharp. The Indian looking business-man I shot like the first day I ever had my 6x7 so yeah it's soft, and the Asian girl was shot at night with push-processed film at like 2.4 or something. Not trying to make excuses, but some of those are far from soft.

It might just be me, maybe I'm just used to seeing shots with more USM. Regardless, they're great.

What do you shoot with? A Pentax 67? Do you use a tripod?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Dang, I thought I had a good one but the subject didn't come out that interesting after all :(

I like the kid on the right giving you the stink-eye. :shobon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

man thats gross posted:

I suck at shooting from the hip. I have no idea which way my camera is pointing.

Don't worry, I have you WAY beat in the "how the gently caress was I aiming the camera to get that angle?" department:

DJExile posted:

I like the kid on the right giving you the stink-eye. :shobon:

The saving grace of photography: Even in a boring photo there's probably still something cool to look at :haw:

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Kaerf posted:

Agree with everything you said except I'd replace 50mm with 35mm.

I'd say this is too confining of a definition. Street photography can happen anywhere there are people. Obviously, on a street, but also anywhere ranging from an elevator, hotel, park, bus, subway, airplane, beach, etc. To me, all that is required for a photo to be considered street is generally it has to be of someone you don't know, in a candid situation, where the environment they're in has some meaningful contribution to the composition.

Well, I didn't mean literally only from a street, I meant that it was more of a picture that makes the viewer feel as if he or she is almost "in" the picture instead of just looking on, if that makes sense.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Radbot posted:

It might just be me, maybe I'm just used to seeing shots with more USM. Regardless, they're great.

What do you shoot with? A Pentax 67? Do you use a tripod?

Thank you. Pentax 6x7, focusing prism (so I look through it straight through, like a 35mm), no tripod ever. I don't even own a tripod strong enough for it, haha. Where's my gorillapod for medium format cameras?!

I think these might be more street-y:

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 25, 2009

ajw000
Sep 30, 2005
I do enjoy street photography, but think I definitely prefer the more traditional HCB style of shooting over the 'hardcore' movement that has come into vogue. I.e finding shots that work geometrically and compositionally, even without people in them, and then wait for people, opposed to the hardcore ethos of 'getting closer' and 'being part of the photo'.

This is one I'm probably the most happy with, although, I wish I'd had a better camera with me at the time!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

brad industry posted:

Curious as to what you guys think of Peter Funch's "Babylon Tales"
Awesome work. It's creative and I can appreciate the amount of work that went into the finished works. Funch never distorted reality.

If he had, somehow, done all that in the darkroom people would think he was a god.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

awesome, posed, color, street photography
These are great. "Street photography" seems to be typically understood to be black and white, spontaneous, and shot at f/8. I don't understand why, such hard rules don't apply anywhere else in photography. I'd wager that if the depth of field weren't so shallow no one would have said anything about those shots not being street photography.

If I shoot a building from the street, is that street photography or architectural photography? What if there are no people in the shot? What about all the shots that have lots of people and buildings in them? Which is it?

Don't kid yourself. That's street photography, and it's good.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

Curious as to what you guys think of Peter Funch's "Babylon Tales"

This series is very magical to me because he captured something completely normal and allowed us to perceive it in a very unnatural way. Isn't that the point of all street photography? It illustrates what makes us so similar as humans. So often we try to pick out the diverse odd ball in a crowd to make a shot. Funch stops and says that there's also something interesting about the 'everyday'. It still feels very real to me because he didn't force anyone to yawn or carry flowers down the street.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Interrupting Moss posted:

Awesome work. It's creative and I can appreciate the amount of work that went into the finished works. Funch never distorted reality.

If he had, somehow, done all that in the darkroom people would think he was a god.

These are great. "Street photography" seems to be typically understood to be black and white, spontaneous, and shot at f/8. I don't understand why, such hard rules don't apply anywhere else in photography. I'd wager that if the depth of field weren't so shallow no one would have said anything about those shots not being street photography.

If I shoot a building from the street, is that street photography or architectural photography? What if there are no people in the shot? What about all the shots that have lots of people and buildings in them? Which is it?

Don't kid yourself. That's street photography, and it's good.

Really? I wasn't aware f/8 had that particular connotation. Thanks though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Really? I wasn't aware f/8 had that particular connotation. Thanks though.
f/8 given as an example of something that would get a large DOF, especially on a 35mm or 50mm lens, which are also generally believed to be required.

Seriously, I like those shots a lot. Post more.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dorkasaurus, what made you gravitate to the Pentax? It's pretty much the most beastly camera I've ever seen that doesn't have a vertical ground glass focusing screen. Also, why 6x7? Massive real estate?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You churn out some of the best shots. I was in love with your 6x7 in the Pentax thread, now I kind of want one :haw:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

f/8 given as an example of something that would get a large DOF, especially on a 35mm or 50mm lens, which are also generally believed to be required.

Seriously, I like those shots a lot. Post more.

Well, if you say so, here are some of my better randoms:

Radbot posted:

Dorkasaurus, what made you gravitate to the Pentax? It's pretty much the most beastly camera I've ever seen that doesn't have a vertical ground glass focusing screen. Also, why 6x7? Massive real estate?

I went to Adorama one day and said I wanted a medium format camera with: a good range of wide lenses (which the Mamiya 7, the other camera I was considering, doesn't really have), a focusing prism of some sort (so I don't have to look down), and generally something similar to a 35mm, which I was used to using by that point. It came down to the Mamiya 7 and the Pentax 6x7 and I was more comfortable with the feel of the Pentax 6x7 and that was that. Also the Pentax 6x7 was significantly cheaper, haha. Incidentally, I just found out that Todd Hido, who happens to be one of my favorite current photographers, uses a Pentax 6x7 as well.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yup, those are pretty cool.

People, on the streets, just looking at the camera. Good stuff. Almost makes me want to live in NYC.

Do you approach and ask to take their photo, bam, done?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Yup, those are pretty cool.

People, on the streets, just looking at the camera. Good stuff. Almost makes me want to live in NYC.

Do you approach and ask to take their photo, bam, done?

Yup! Sometimes just a few glances and motions is enough.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

OK I kind of want to know what the context here is, but then I'm so amused by not having any context at all, and all that I know is that there's some dude in a Rangers mask wielding a big-wheel while someone on a bench laughs at him.

It's a really cool shot.

E: Wait he's kind of short... and the Statue of Liberty is on his mask... MIKE RICHTER, IS THAT YOU? :v:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
What lens and aperture are you using for most of these dorkasaurus? Its a very pleasing and smooth transition to the out of focus area.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

DJExile posted:

OK I kind of want to know what the context here is, but then I'm so amused by not having any context at all, and all that I know is that there's some dude in a Rangers mask wielding a big-wheel while someone on a bench laughs at him.

It's a really cool shot.

E: Wait he's kind of short... and the Statue of Liberty is on his mask... MIKE RICHTER, IS THAT YOU? :v:

It was a tricycle race in central park. People showed up in wacky outfits and raced in home-made tricycles. here's all the shots from that day

Sadi posted:

What lens and aperture are you using for most of these dorkasaurus? Its a very pleasing and smooth transition to the out of focus area.

Well, it's probably only 4.5-5.6, but that transition is probably cause of the format, not the aperture. Thinking I should probably make a medium and large format megathread, heh.

I only really use a 105mm 2.4 and a 75mm 4.5 on my Pentax 6x7. I had a 55m 3.5 but it was stolen. Is there a specific shot you're asking about?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Thinking I should probably make a medium and large format megathread, heh.
Yes, please.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Not really, I just picked up a RZ67 (with a 110mm 2.8 if you wanted to know) so I was kind of curious. A large/medium format thread would be rocking, I doubt any one would want a mamiya thread.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Let me know how the RZ works out for you, Sadi. I've been looking at different equipment and the RB stuff seems to be a steal for 6x7 compared to the Pentaxes or RZ. Hopefully some of your experience will be translatable to the RB.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Sadi posted:

Not really, I just picked up a RZ67 (with a 110mm 2.8 if you wanted to know) so I was kind of curious. A large/medium format thread would be rocking, I doubt any one would want a mamiya thread.

Same thing here, but with a Hasselblad 500C/M. Who starts the thread?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Yes, please.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3191750

Martytoof posted:

You churn out some of the best shots. I was in love with your 6x7 in the Pentax thread, now I kind of want one :haw:

those were taken on my 35mm Canon :ssh:

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
e: wrong thread

act five fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 26, 2009

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Saw this guy in Brisbane the other day while I was out. He had stuff written all over the back of his shirt which I'd have liked to get a shot of, but I had a slurpee in one hand and a bag of shopping in the other which made things a bit difficult.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

those were taken on my 35mm Canon :ssh:

Welp, still impressive :cool:

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
I got asked to do a small interview by an iphone street photographer for his website, which was very flattering.

I gave CC a good old plug.

http://justwhatisee.com/post/175710092/photography-spotlight-chris-hegarty

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies
I was in Rome last week and saw these two men waiting for a bus:

brad industry
May 22, 2004
How about some non-Western street photos? Interview with Hiroh Kikai:

http://www.lensculture.com/kikai.html

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Good New Yorker article on The Americans: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/14/090914fa_fact_lane

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I saw that when it was up at the SFMOMA, it was pretty amazing and one of the better photo exhibits I've seen. Definitely go see it if you get a chance. They had everything from his contact sheets to his hand written rough draft of the grant proposal for The Americans.

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.
edit: deleted

FakeBlood fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 16, 2021

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Yup! Sometimes just a few glances and motions is enough.

What exactly do you tell people who ask you why you want to take their photo? I've seen a few people out and about with interesting outfits and such but I'm too shy to ask to take a picture in case they object.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anmitzcuaca posted:

What exactly do you tell people who ask you why you want to take their photo? I've seen a few people out and about with interesting outfits and such but I'm too shy to ask to take a picture in case they object.

I'm the same way, but lately I've had the mindset of "Just take their picture". 19 out of 20 people will either smile, pose, say something nice, or just ignore you. One out of twenty will turn away the instant they see your camera, glare at you, or hold up their arms and make it blatantly obvious they don't want their photo taken. One out of a hundred (hundreds?) will actually confront you, at which point you just walk away, say "sorry man", or whatever you want. Unless they're literally crazy you won't get into any kind of fight so I wouldn't worry about it. If you're shooting here in North America and you're in a public space then there isn't really much anything you can shoot that will get you into any legal trouble as far as an individual is concerned.

Mind you this is here in the Toronto area. We're not really known for overly aggressive people.

I mean, this is a really long way of saying "man up and just do it", but man up and just do it. If you're really not feeling brave, take two beers or however many it takes for you to just lose your inhibitions slightly. That really opens up the "I'm going to stick a camera in someone's face" instinct. I've done it on several occasions and it helps take the edge off, as sad and depressing as drinking to take photos might sound. Some people will say this is stupid advice, but it works for me when I'm feeling less than personable.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 9, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Good New Yorker article on The Americans: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/14/090914fa_fact_lane
That was a great read, ta.

quote:

“What are you doing here?”
“I have a Guggenheim scholarship.”
“Who’s Guggenheim?”
Oh Arkansas.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
Instead of ranting about what is or is not street again, I will suggest that maybe dorkasaurus should start an environmental/street portraiture thread because I know he's sitting on a ton of really aces photos of people in their homes, etc. that he can't get away with trying to post here.

It might also attract an audience that wouldn't click on a street photography thread and could more easily focus on technique and ideas for capturing people in their element.

In the meantime I'm gonna go run around with a manual camera stuck on f/8, some tri-x and insatiable desire to photograph people who aren't expecting it (actually, I'm going to go make some obtuse urban landscapes and take band photos, but whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to get back into photography. I also live in NYC so I've been spending some weekends roaming around looking for people. Definitely handicapped by my technical skills at the moment though, as the two photos below will attest to.

The thing that always gets me is that I feel a little shy about invading people's privacy. If its an event I feel much more comfortable about it. Does anyone else feel that embarrassment with shooting random people? Has anyone been accosted by someone who was pissed you were taking their picture?

Two humble offerings, suggestions more than welcome.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2009