Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Haha I saw the bride and groom walk around the corner as I was approaching the patio :)

The snow is actually water from a fountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate
This is wonderful.

I'm a chronic lurker, but I love this thread. Tossing my hat in:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Throwing my hat in here, as well.

I really enjoy street photography. I love seeing what's going on around me and trying to capture it as naturally as possible. It borders the line between fine art photography, photojournalism, and documentary/essay work in a nice package. I don't get out all that often for street photos, but it's good practice when possible.

I do tend to focus on individuals in an environment rather than crowds as a whole, though. I guess some of these border the lines between portraiture and street, but they were all candid. I like my "fun" street, which I guess opens up the trouble of where exactly the limits lie. I also used to add borders to everything, apparently.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The picture of that guy getting in the homeless guy's face and taking a picture is great.

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

It's time to get a little Captain in you!

Axel Serenity posted:

I like these two. Characters are my favorite. They add a little spice into life. Where did you find Harley? Was it on Halloween or just a day in the park?

Here are a couple I took last weekend.

TheCaptain fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 24, 2009

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

TheCaptain posted:

I like these two. Characters are my favorite. They add a little spice into life. Where did you find Harley? Was it on Halloween or just a day in the park?

Thanks! Harley was one of the characters at Hollywood and Highland. It's an interesting area. Not five minutes after posting this on devianArt, I got a comment saying "Hey, that's me! Awesome!" or something. Small internet. Guess she was just visiting for a couple days.

First guy is a homeless dude pretty well known in Burbank. He's usually wearing that or something equally flamboyant. That photo in particular was outside NBC when President Obama was on The Tonight Show. Protesters everywhere.

I like the one you posted of the guys playing chess. I don't think anything like chess parks exist around here, so it's always cool to see the ones from NYC and other areas.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
Snapped this off walking back from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It was almost eerie seeing the streets directly surrounding the parade so empty that someone would walk down them like this:

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

inolen posted:

Snapped this off walking back from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It was almost eerie seeing the streets directly surrounding the parade so empty that someone would walk down them like this:

Although it can be a rare sight to see, I love moments like these.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Axel Serenity posted:

venice is fun. ive only gone to take photos once, and i wasnt really happy with them for the most part.

i've gone down to the Toy District and a block into Skid Row area which is a great place to take photos. it's also a bad place to take photos as a lot of people are illegal/pissed off and consider anyone with a camera good pickings or some weird stalker. i try tread lightly there. i found myself outside of the city mission where two guards (i think one was popo) said they wouldnt protect me if i was jumped. i figured it was time to turn around

being a white guy with a big camera, it's hard to blend in. it's good to talk to a few bums & shopkeeps though about their lives.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

dunno posted:

Try big box store or strip mall parking lots, see how long you last before you are kindly informed that photography is not allowed on the premises.

Edit: Actually, the Vancouver Art Gallery is currently showing bunch of street stuff by Anthony Hernandez, curated by Jeff Wall. There's a lot of good colour stuff taken mostly downtown and in Hollywood as well as a lot of black and white stuff taken in less dense, poorer areas near bus stops. A lot of the b/w is done with a view camera so is less "intensely street" but there are some amazing figure centric compositions and gestural stuff. I really liked it.

I know I'm late to this party by 4 months, but I stumbled into the Anthony Hernandez exhibit over the summer and was completely blown away by it. I can't find too many examples on the internet right now, but his series on public transportation areas and public fishing areas should be pretty inspirational for people living in suburban areas who think that you have to be in Manhattan to get interesting street shots.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dun-dun-DUUUNN

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Haven't been shooting much street lately, but I liked these.

Sigvard
Mar 12, 2005

Protect Ya Neck, Kid
(from crowbars)

I love living in NYC.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I tried this once (admittedly with the intention of doing some HDR photography on buildings) and only came out with one half-way decent image (of a person at least). I'm quite angry I didn't get more of this guy. He has this intense expression that flicks onto his face from time to time like a silent-snarl almost.

I'm going to try and motivate myself to get back into this, as I'm probably going to spend part of the next week working in the city, I may have time to take some photos. I'll try and limit myself to my 18-55mm lens on my 450d.
Any other advice?
EDIT: loving huge image replaced.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 14, 2010

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I tried my hand at doing street photography again after some time, sticking to chest shooting. Second one using a goon's (forgot his name) Kodachrome LR preset. Thanks!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fragrag posted:

That's just neat.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

This is from a couple of months ago but I only just got it scanned.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

That's pretty neat.

DaJe
Feb 3, 2008
I wish I actually lived somewhere where there were busy streets for me to take photos on :(. I live in a town of between 2,000 and 3,000 people, and there are literally no nearby streets I can think of where I can find the bustling life of people. Though I'm also a bit apprehensive of taking photos of people out in public. But I guess I just need to be more confident.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

DaJe posted:

I wish I actually lived somewhere where there were busy streets for me to take photos on :(. I live in a town of between 2,000 and 3,000 people, and there are literally no nearby streets I can think of where I can find the bustling life of people. Though I'm also a bit apprehensive of taking photos of people out in public. But I guess I just need to be more confident.

Do you have a central business district near you? You can still get that small town feel, which makes just as interesting subjects as mass populations. Really I think you just need to get over your own apprehensions. I'm right there with you man, stop making excuses and go shoot.

DaJe
Feb 3, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Do you have a central business district near you? You can still get that small town feel, which makes just as interesting subjects as mass populations. Really I think you just need to get over your own apprehensions. I'm right there with you man, stop making excuses and go shoot.

I know I need to get over apprehensions, I'll do that. But I really can't think of any interesting places around here to go. There's no central business district. There's no sort of district at all. My town is pretty much just all homes, and there are no busy places around here where I can find people or interesting activities. I know I'm probably just looking in the wrong place, and can probably find something I can make interesting enough, but I just don't know where I want to start.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Here are some street portraits I took last night - not what I was planning on doing, but they were intrigued by the camera so I took the opportunity.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ric posted:

Here are some street portraits I took last night - not what I was planning on doing, but they were intrigued by the camera so I took the opportunity.

You did that with FP4? drat. Did you push process the bejeezus out of it or something?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Ric posted:

Dude, these are really nice. What did you take them on and where were they taken?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's all in the tags:
Manchester, shot on a Hassy 500C/M, 80mm, Ilford FP4

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

HPL posted:

You did that with FP4? drat. Did you push process the bejeezus out of it or something?
Promicrol 1:9 dilution, 6mins, agitating twice every 30sec

You think it's too contrasty? That's pretty much what the scene looked like, it was entirely backlit.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Dude, these are really nice. What did you take them on and where were they taken?
Thanks. All as evil_bunnY said. It's an area on the edge of the city with a mile of nothing but curry houses and takeaways.

Sigvard
Mar 12, 2005

Protect Ya Neck, Kid
(from crowbars)

Ric posted:

These are awesome.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
^^^Isn't that just asking to get chased and beat up by angry parents?^^^

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Reichstag posted:

Love this, usually I almost always prefer street stuff in black and white, because things look less busy, but this is a really nice shot, no action, nothing even particularity interesting happening but just a great sense of right time and moment, works well.

rear end is my canvas posted:

Only if you haven't got a nice innocent look about you haha. Or if your like me, just do it while there not looking and when they notice you, smile and walk off.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fronkpies posted:

Kid's expression rules.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Just one from Melbournes fantastic weather this weekend.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

rear end is my canvas posted:

I've heard that a good trick if you get confronted (by angry parents or angry subjects) is to simply smile, show them the picture if it's digital, and offer to email them a copy of it. Assuming they like it, suddenly you've turned it from "that guy took a picture without my permission" to "this guy wants to give me a free gift".

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk
Did someone say street photography?

I love me some street photography, though I guess it's technically photoenthnography nowadays.

squidrobot
Nov 13, 2007
Mmmmmmmmm. Bananananna.
Longtime lurker here, chiming in.

Biggest influences include: Daido Moriyama, Lee Friedlander, Garry Winogrand. But perhaps the biggest recent influence has to be the work of Graeme Mitchell (caution: a large MPG presentation of the photos autoplays).

Some stuff from my flickr:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

These are all a little old, but I never posted them here so they're new to you!

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Will post more some other time.

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk

Mannequin posted:

The security grate in the lower right of this shot causes your OOF areas to look aliased.

Mannequin posted:

Will post more some other time.

I love this photo, except for the way the neon signs become big bright blobs of colour. You needed a bit more depth of field on that shot.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Taken last year in Tokyo with a film Olympus mju 2 with Ektachrome 100 film and then cross processed. I know its not everybody's cup of tea, but I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

1 & 2 are loving amazing. The cross-processing does nothing for me, but #1 especially just feels right: the comp's great, the lead-in via the road marking is effective, etc. I'd love some more details in the clothes of the subject, but welp.