Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Reichstag posted:

The problem is not the bokeh at all, it's that the photo has extremely shallow depth of field for no apparent reason.

Neopan 100, under an awning, on a very overcast day is the reason :colbert: (I think my shutter speed was around 1/30s for that one.) It's a valid criticism of some of the other shots though, I haven't shot with the Canon lens that much and wanted to see what it could do wide open, which is why I picked such a slow film for that day. I also wanted to see how the Neopan was versus Tmax, I think I prefer the Fuji stuff.

orange lime posted:

It's especially strange that it's just that photo. None of the others seem to have the same effect as that produce one does. The OOF areas look like heat ripples, wrinkles in the film, JPEG artifacts, all kinds of weird things.

It must be a property of the lens; it looks the same under a loupe. The 50mm LTM isn't really known for funky/bad bokeh though; most people's complaints are that it's not sharp/too prone to flare wide open, which I haven't found to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Gadamer posted:

What did you do to get this color?

My guess is split toning...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Neopan 100, under an awning, on a very overcast day is the reason :colbert:

Street photography must be done with Tri-X! :argh:

mcosio
Jan 20, 2009

Starting to move on from pet candids to people :colbert:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

HPL posted:

Street photography must be done with Tri-X! :argh:

AND A LEICA!:orks:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

mcosio posted:

Starting to move on from pet candids to people :colbert:

This is nice, but the fact that it was obviously taken from inside a car really ruins it for me.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

orange lime posted:

This is nice, but the fact that it was obviously taken from inside a car really ruins it for me.

I just like to imagine she's about to be run over :smug:

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

dik-dik posted:

A DSLR with a short prime lens will weigh a half pound, maybe a full pound at most, more than what a Leica does when fitted with a comparable lens. As a quick comparison, the Canon 7D weighs 29 oz, and the 28mm f/1.8 weighs 11 oz, which comes out to 40z. The Leica M9 (actually lighter than the M7 and MP) weighs 21 oz and the Leica 50mm SummiLux / f1.4 weighs 11 oz, coming out to 32 oz. That's a difference of 8 oz, or half a pound. Percentage-wise, the 7D + 28 weighs 25% more than the Leica.

The 5D weighs 29 oz, and the 50mm f/1.4 USM weighs 10 oz, for a total of 49 oz. Sure, the 1D series gets heavy (42 oz), but those are really for sports shooters anyway.

A D40 (18.4oz, w/battery) and a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G (7oz) is 25.4oz--almost half a pound lighter than the Leica. I'd rather a nicer body, all the same, but something this light has its advantages, I guess.

I've had my D40 for a little less than a year, and got it 3 days before I dropped a large kitchen knife through a toe tendon; as such, didn't get much chance to do anything "street," but I'm looking forward to it once the weather warms up here.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Went out barhopping in St. Petersburg with a friend last Saturday night. Brought my R3a and Canon 50mm f/1.2 along for the ride, film is Tri-X Arista Premium 400 pushed two stops in HC-110 Dilution B.

My ride is not the sort of person to ask where the cups are.

I missed the focus on this but didn't hate it enough to toss it.

First bar: hole in the wall poolhall.

Second bar, someone paying with a credit card.

Alleyway.

Not really "street" but something I took waiting for a bathroom at the third bar. Ugh, unisex. *is male*

I saw them coming so I had a little time to get ready, but was still really surprised when I saw that I got the focus on this considering the conditions. I'm getting better at leading my shots with a rangefinder, which I think is easier than with an SLR. [/leicacommercial]

From the back seat on the way home.

:supaburn: :catdrugs: f/1.2 :catdrugs: :supaburn:

Girl crossing the street near home at 2:30am, arms swinging jauntily.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Tri-x in Rodinal 1+25.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Street photography is surprisingly easy at Dollywood:

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Here's a few I've done over the past few days.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
700 won for an ice cream cone? Woah.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

squidflakes posted:

700 won for an ice cream cone? Woah.

I think it was for just a chocolate cone. Plain is 400 won.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Momonari, those first two are pretty cool next too each other.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I'm in Japan right now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/datsun_wong/4606967207/

titanium fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 24, 2010

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Really nice! How did you get that colour on digital?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is probably the most appropriate place, for those of you who like getting out to cover events and such.

This past Saturday night, we got absolutely leveled here in the Toledo area by a few EF4 tornadoes. An entire high school was destroyed and the death toll is currently at 9. Photos of the aftermath from an area fire station are here.

The reason I bring all this up is because I know photographers like to get out and get photos of the aftermath of storms and such, but please hold off when they're serious. We're a fairly rural area and traffic to these places becomes a nightmare when everyone and their mother wants to drive by and gawk or get photos. Red Cross, construction companies/contractors, and various churches have done a fantastic job of getting help out to those who need it, but it gets hairy when a bunch of observers are just hanging around (and usually not helping).

I'm certainly not accusing anyone here of doing that, but just a little something to keep in mind. One of my thoughts the next morning was to grab my bag and get some shots, then I thought better of it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Really nice! How did you get that colour on digital?

Wow this is late but thanks!

It's some filter I found off DA but I cant remember the name of it.

adub510
Sep 26, 2007
Well I don't think this fits in really after reading the thread, but its one of the only street photos i have at the moment developed.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/TIHH-Hh83vbuxmEm6oXLEg?feat=directlink

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Here's a couple I did back in my photography class:

This guy knew I was taking a picture, just not that he was in it.

The images here are scans of the actual prints themselves, so if the colors are at all off that's my alibi.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Reichstag posted:

Tri-x in Rodinal 1+25.

Sometimes at work my computer won't display all images. This was one I passed up. Not enough love given to this. One of my favorites from you.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

titanium posted:

If it's a curve adjustment could you post a screenshot of the curves (or the preset if it's for aperture)? Thanks.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Obama 2012 posted:

Here's a couple I did back in my photography class:

This guy knew I was taking a picture, just not that he was in it.

The images here are scans of the actual prints themselves, so if the colors are at all off that's my alibi.

Looks like the colors are pretty far off to me :downs:

treble
Feb 14, 2001
I've been trying to work on my street stuff since the last time I posted, working with a variety of focal lengths and techniques. I've often found wide angle street photography to be challenging, but when you are able to get the right distance to your subject, the perspective can be striking.

Here's some wide angle street stuff (okay, so I snuck one 50mm shot in there too) I've taken in the past 6 months or so. I'd be interested in hearing any comments people might have on them.

There's lots more at my flickr, if you're interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/trebbble

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I had a look through your photostream and there's some really great stuff, I particularly like the 50mm portraits of people on the street. How did you approach them and ask to take their photo?

esno
Dec 5, 2004

titanium posted:

What does 'DA' stand for?

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

esno posted:

What does 'DA' stand for?

http://www.deviantart.com/

esno
Dec 5, 2004
Oh, right, thanks!

treble
Feb 14, 2001

Anmitzcuaca posted:

I had a look through your photostream and there's some really great stuff, I particularly like the 50mm portraits of people on the street. How did you approach them and ask to take their photo?

Thanks!

I was shooting that series for a blog/newspaper. I basically just went up to people and asked them if I could take their picture, because I thought they looked cool, stylish, had character, or however I chose to put it. I told them my name and how their picture would be used. I also asked them a few questions about themselves for the article. I didn't have any special credentials or anything though.

You just have to make people feel comfortable, and trust you. There were many who didn't, so you have to get used to hearing "no" too. :)

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
I have just got back from my first trip to New York. It really is a lot easier shooting street there, both in terms of the density of people/scenes and the degree to which you are ignored.

I still have some b/w to develop and scan, but here's a smattering of some colour 35mm and digital p&s I've got:

edit: I also got to see the Henri Cartier-Bresson exhibition at MOMA; it was really fantastic. Do check it out, any of you, if you get a chance.

dunno fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 17, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dunno posted:

This poo poo's dope yo.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just saw "Hipsters, Hustlers and Handball Players" a Leon Levinstein exhibition at the Met in NYC. He was about as "street photography" as you can get. According to the blurb in the New Yorker I read before I went, he almost never interacted with his subjects, and just roamed the city taking pictures of people for years and years (the photos in the exhibit are from the 50s, 60s and 70s). Dude doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. He also really seemed to like pictures of fat older women. Anyway, I found the whole thing really interesting and if you're in NYC you should stop by the Met and see the exhibition.

Older fat woman as promised:

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Here's some recent ones from me

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Laze
Nov 15, 2006
Trust me, I'm a scientist.

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Here's some recent ones from me
Like the first. Love the second.

I was in Montreal for a conference (and the jazz festival :)) last week. At the jazz festival:

(No idea what's going on there, I imagine the worst to add drama ;))

At the end of the pier:

She stood there, alone, humming "My heart will go on". I hope it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Submitted this as a print for my intro to digital photography class:

Click here for the full 851x1280 image.

I wish I tried out more angles but I'm pretty satisfied considering my limited experience behind the camera.