Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I used to do a lot more when I was overseas, I honestly don't feel that safe taking a camera out at night in the US. I like street shooting because you never really know what you're going to come across, and I'm always having to weigh getting the shot versus potentially looking like an rear end in a top hat. I try to err on the side of caution.

Most of these I took with an SLR and 50mm prime (except for the first, that was with a 21mm), although recently I've picked up a Bessa rangefinder and I find it a lot more discreet and portable. Even if people see you, it doesn't trip the same "look at that guy with the big camera taking my picture!" switch in people's heads. The one of the motorbike taxi guy was taken with an Olympus XA, which is an even smaller, more discreet package.

Tourists browsing at a night market in Laos

Definitely see some different things on the street in Laos.

Halloween in Bangkok (I just now noticed the guy with the 1-series in the background)

Taken in a small town in northern Vietnam

Motorcycle taxi guy waiting for a fare in Hanoi

These I did on Soi Cowboy in Bangkok during the day during Thai New Years. Soi Cowboy is kind of notorious for sex shows or prostitution or whatever, Thai New Years is basically 3-5 days of a country-wide water fight. It's sort of like Mardi Gras or Carnival in that a lot of social norms get temporarily tossed out the window, which basically makes it a street photography bonanza (if you have a waterproof camera).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Radbot posted:

Those are some flippin' sweet shots, Pompous. They've got a superb organic feel to them. The girl with the water gun and the black and white shots are my favorite. It looks like you have some interesting halation on the last one, or is that just me?

Not to sound like a gearfag, but what did you scan these with?

Thanks! The halation was water on the lens (well, on the UV filter in front of the lens), I wasn't always super-careful about wiping it off so I'd get things like that in some of the shots.

I kinda wish I knew, I handed them all off to a pro lab and they did a really nice job of developing/scanning everything. These were the cheapest/lowest res they offered... from their website it sounds like it would have been done with either a Kodak Creo IQ Smart Scanner (flatbed, seems like kind of a pain), Fuji Frontier (most likely, I think) or a Sigma (unlikely, seems too high-end).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Goddamn this guy is a colossal douchebag RANGEFINDER RANGEFINDER RANGEFINDER. It's as much a Leica commercial as a documentary about street photography.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
No I mean I've got a R3a and it's great, getting more use than my 5D these days, but the guy is just so :allears: Leica :allears: and completely dismissive of using anything else (SLR, TLR, scale-focus camera, P&S digicam, etc) for street photography.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Laze posted:

Brawnwrong: Baby steps! Start with crowds, distant, and/or unaware people, where your subjects won't feel singled out, giving you less need to "man up" as you put it. Each time you take a shot, it becomes easier, and soon you'll be sticking your camera up strangers' noses like a pro.

I did a lot of street photography in October. Random scenes from daily life in Trondheim, Norway, using a D40 with a 35mm prime:

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=3974033321&size=large&posted=1&bg=white

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=3974035577&size=large&posted=1&bg=white

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=3980717283&size=large&bg=white

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=3991115258&size=large&bg=white

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=3993841636&size=large&bg=white

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4021901265&size=large&bg=white

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4035413688&size=large&bg=white

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4038350454&size=large&bg=white

Whoa, these are great! I especially like the legs sticking out of the phonebooth(?)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

orange lime posted:

I think that a perfect use for the Direct Print button, on every camera the CHDK people get their hands on, would be to make a screen pop up that says "IMAGE DELETED!" for about 3 seconds and then quickly cycles to the previous image on the card.

Why does Canon insist on including that thing, anyway? It's got to be a running joke around the engineering and design labs by now.

Powershot team: "Hey EOS guys! How's that direct print button going? Found a good place for it yet? Baahahahaha"

I actually used it with a Dell Wasabi in the last month or so. (Don't pay $100 for one, Dell had them on sale for $30 with two 48-packs of paper). I was initially kinda pissed how they came out streaky, but apparently you have to run the calibration sheet through it once or twice to make sure the heads are all in alignment or something. I'll probably pack it along with me for trips to remote areas; kids are always jumping around and hamming it up to be in pictures, I show them on the camera LCD and they're happy... and then that's it. It'd be really cool to be able to print some out for them to keep, even if it's crappy little business-card sized prints/stickers. It runs off a rechargeable battery and isn't very big/heavy.

I'll admit it's niche as hell, but I think I just lost my ability to "Direct Print Button? :rolleyes: "

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dik-dik posted:

I do like the wildlife analogy though, because it very accurately describes how I go about taking shots. It feels quite predatory. I'm out on the street for some reason, and while I'm there I'm taking advantage of these people by snapping photos of them they won't ever know about. Kinda hosed up really.

Cconcept shot: Landrover parked on a street corner, goony looking guy with photo vest and Leica M shooting out a window with a big white L tele attached to his camera.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Took me almost a month to finish a roll on my half-frame:

Leaving Asia Culture Festival in Miami:

Ye Olde Renn Faire:

Festival Italiana:

I like these cultural event type things because fewer people seem to notice/be bothered by photography. Was able to go pretty much hog wild at the Italian Festival thing, still have a roll of B&W (standard 35mm) to develop.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Black and white stuff from Italian Festival I developed last night:

Family meal

Arms full

Fill 'er up

Spirit of Italy (I think he was judging the grape stomp-off)

This dude could totally ride his dog like a pony warg.

Sassy mom

Fresh produce

Almost didn't go because of the 80% chance of rain forecast, but it was mostly overcast with a few sprinkles here and there.

Patted myself on the back for not screwing this one up.

At the end, just wanted to cash out the rest of my tickets at the Cannoli stand before the sky let loose. Like these folks.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

orange lime posted:

I hate to be the guy who does this, but that's some strange bokeh. On the left (on the produce) it looks like little glowing worms, and in the center you've almost got some donuts going on. Not bad, just weird. Is that a characteristic of the Canon 1.2, or just the lighting?

Seriously?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I guess I'll just post in PAD and save my bokeh-critiques for the experts at Fredmiranda :saddowns:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Reichstag posted:

The problem is not the bokeh at all, it's that the photo has extremely shallow depth of field for no apparent reason.

Neopan 100, under an awning, on a very overcast day is the reason :colbert: (I think my shutter speed was around 1/30s for that one.) It's a valid criticism of some of the other shots though, I haven't shot with the Canon lens that much and wanted to see what it could do wide open, which is why I picked such a slow film for that day. I also wanted to see how the Neopan was versus Tmax, I think I prefer the Fuji stuff.

orange lime posted:

It's especially strange that it's just that photo. None of the others seem to have the same effect as that produce one does. The OOF areas look like heat ripples, wrinkles in the film, JPEG artifacts, all kinds of weird things.

It must be a property of the lens; it looks the same under a loupe. The 50mm LTM isn't really known for funky/bad bokeh though; most people's complaints are that it's not sharp/too prone to flare wide open, which I haven't found to be the case.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Went out barhopping in St. Petersburg with a friend last Saturday night. Brought my R3a and Canon 50mm f/1.2 along for the ride, film is Tri-X Arista Premium 400 pushed two stops in HC-110 Dilution B.

My ride is not the sort of person to ask where the cups are.

I missed the focus on this but didn't hate it enough to toss it.

First bar: hole in the wall poolhall.

Second bar, someone paying with a credit card.

Alleyway.

Not really "street" but something I took waiting for a bathroom at the third bar. Ugh, unisex. *is male*

I saw them coming so I had a little time to get ready, but was still really surprised when I saw that I got the focus on this considering the conditions. I'm getting better at leading my shots with a rangefinder, which I think is easier than with an SLR. [/leicacommercial]

From the back seat on the way home.

:supaburn: :catdrugs: f/1.2 :catdrugs: :supaburn:

Girl crossing the street near home at 2:30am, arms swinging jauntily.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ozworld posted:

I know this was posted many pages back but I think that this is a fantastic shot.

Saw this posted on a photographer's blog I follow, it's a collection of B&W street photographs of women (none of them creepy, at least in the voyeuristic, guy-on-Flickr-with-nothing-but-shots-of-women-from-behind-taken-with-a-telephoto sort of way.) It's a Blurb preview, so the size sometimes leaves you wanting, but there's some amazing stuff in there.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

50!

But yeah rangefinders are nice and small, and they barely make any noise.

I've found any overtly weird camera basically exempts you from the "being approached by random assholes" clause of street photography. TLR, press camera, whatever.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Friend of mine who is getting in to photography is in town, planning to go downtown and do some street stuff this afternoon :toot:

Musket posted:

My Bessa L got me yelled at a few times. Mostly because the viewfinder on top confused a few people.

Yeah, I don't think rangefinders work quite the same way. They're smaller and less obtrusive so they don't trip the "oh god an SLR" reflex, but it's still a normal enough looking camera to raise some people's hackles. If you walk around with a Speed Graphic (which has a rangefinder, but whatever) or a TLR or something, it's generally a different story; people either assume student or Artist or just don't know what the gently caress.

A lot of it is also about how you carry yourself. By no means do I get up in people's grill like what's-his-face in New York in those videos, but acting nonchalant or like you have some business taking the photo helps. Keeping an open body posture and a pleasant expression on your face does too (if you're having a good time, this shouldn't be hard). I hesitate to recommend it because it's a bad crutch to rely on, but having a drink or two before going out can also help loosen you up about taking photos of strangers. It's also a great way to lose lens caps.

I should qualify the weird vintage cameras hack for street photography - you normally get approached by 2x as many more people that are curious about the camera, usually old dudes who want to talk shop. It can be nice, but sometimes you just want to take pictures.

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah. Hassy 500 with a prism finder doesn't, though :smith:

The shutters on those things are surprisingly loud, aren't they? A WLF would help, I think the Kiev one should fit a Hassy, right? Those things are so goddamn expensive for a foldy piece of metal.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Went downtown with a friend of mine visiting to take some photos, came across this guy:

Spray Paint Dude by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Jesus Dude by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I got my first nice phone (Samsung Galaxy S II) last month, and I've been using the camera a lot, since it's always with me. Before I got a phone here, I used to carry my NEX-3 around all the time instead, but the smartphone is a "good enough" solution for casual stuff in decent light:

Street by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315633784945.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315645411981.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315645452832.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just the first two? (The last one I shot from the side because I didn't want to stand in the way of the procession.) I don't think the first one would have worked from the front as well, but yeah, I do wish I could have gotten the kid on the suitcase from the front. Would have been an awesome close-up (the phone has a pretty wide angle lens on it).

Sevn posted:

This. It is a completely different world here, compared to America, but I am always afraid to point my camera at a kid, even here where I think they wouldn't care. I have a few, but the feeling is still there.

There's a law here in Japan about not taking (recognizable) photos of students at school and posting them online, otherwise I'd have some cool ones from Sports and Culture day to share. I'm not sure how that works as far as random kids on the street, I would guess it's open season, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Developing countries are another thing entirely; people don't have the same concerns and a lot of the time kids will ham it up for the camera and crowd around to see the picture on the LCD. One of the majorly annoying little things about the NEX is it isn't PictBridge compatible, I'd love to be able to hook up my little battery-powered Wasabi and make business card sized prints for them to keep.

edit: Cambodia

Girl by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Cambodian Gothic by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 15, 2011