Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

sandmaniac posted:

general question: why do you people shoot street? why do you like it, why do you think it's worth doing, what's special about it?

Kaerf posted:

Why?

To share with others.

I think that's the easiest way to say it.

I think this is my answer. Street photography is simple - it is not posed, it is not drawn up ahead of time, and most importantly, it is human. Because it is human, it is essentially timeless.

Think back on the street photography you've seen in the 50s and 60s and compare them to the commercial photographs you've seen from the same era. Which tell you more about the people back then?

50 years into the future, I want people to be able to see who we were and what we did. More importantly, I want them to see that (as we do with pictures from long ago) humans haven't changed much at all. Street photography instantly and powerfully gives insight into past generation. It's put me at peace with the world in general.

</end rant>

Color works too.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Twenties Superstar posted:

Just so we're clear, street photography isn't just photos of people on the street.

This is correct. Street photography isn't just taking pictures of a street, it's taking pictures FROM the streets, if that makes sense. You try and capture a bit of the culture and give a sense of immersion.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Kaerf posted:

Agree with everything you said except I'd replace 50mm with 35mm.

I'd say this is too confining of a definition. Street photography can happen anywhere there are people. Obviously, on a street, but also anywhere ranging from an elevator, hotel, park, bus, subway, airplane, beach, etc. To me, all that is required for a photo to be considered street is generally it has to be of someone you don't know, in a candid situation, where the environment they're in has some meaningful contribution to the composition.

Well, I didn't mean literally only from a street, I meant that it was more of a picture that makes the viewer feel as if he or she is almost "in" the picture instead of just looking on, if that makes sense.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Seriously?

The bokeh is a bit distracting - good thing is that it is easily fixed.