Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Fun new rule: any ~street photo~ whose primary subject is the back of someone / the back of someone's head gets a week off until further notice or I forget.

Walker Evans wrote that “the photographer is in effect voyeur by nature, he is also reporter, tinker and spy”.

That is what, to me at least, street photography is all about. Being a voyeuristic, unobtrusive observer, and it takes no more than going for a walk with a camera around your neck. I think its both one of the easiest and hardest forms of photography to get involved in, easy because there are people, streets and moments everywhere, all waiting to be photographed. But on the other hand you have to overcome shyness, uneasiness and a nagging guilt to capture people at there most primitive and without there knowledge.

I know there are a few street photographers in CC so this thread is to discuss, help, admire, get inspiration from and show off our work.

Inspiration

Henri Cartier-Bresson

A French photographer considered to be the father of modern photojournalism, an early adopter of 35 mm format, and the master of candid photography. He helped develop the "street photography" or "real life reportage" style that has influenced generations of photographers that followed.

Brassaï

Brassai's camera, tripod, and lighting equipment required him to be bold rather than inconspicuous if he were to show Paris in the mood of the city through its walls and deserted streets and the activities they concealed. His passion was not for the pure photographic rendition of static objects or in the split-second exposures that uncovered the interior of the moment. Rather, his aspiration was to be a kind of recording secretary to the act of living.

Robert Frank

born in Zürich, Switzerland, is an important figure in American photography and film. His most notable work, the 1958 photographic book titled simply The Americans, was heavily influential in the post-war period.

Garry Winogrand

Winogrand was known for his portrayal of American life in the early 1960s, Many of his photographs depict the social issues of his time day and in the role of media in shaping attitudes. He roamed the streets of New York with his 35mm Leica camera rapidly taking photographs using a prefocused wide angle lens. His pictures frequently appeared as if they were driven by the energy of the events he was witnessing.

Bruce Gilden

A noted street photographer and member of Magnum Photos, he shot images of Japan's Yakuza mobsters, the homeless, prostitutes, and members of bike gangs between 1995 and 2000. According to Gilden, he was fascinated by the duality and double lives of the individuals he photographed.

Photographing without permission

In the USA and the UK, anything visible from a public area can generally be freely photographed. There are a number of restrictions, see Photography and the law for a detailed account. It is, however, common for police, security personnel and members of the public to use intimidation, or other tactics to attempt to prevent unwanted photography. To prevent, for example, industrial espionage or the photographing of children.

On 16th of February 2009 in the UK, the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008 introduced amendments to the Terrorism Act 2000 to prohibit the "eliciting of information" of members of a number of protected groups, including the armed forces and the police. This covers the taking of photographs, and does introduce some new restrictions on the rights of the photographer.

In recent years, some building owners have claimed a copyright on the appearance of their building; such landmarks as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Pittsburgh's PPG Place, etc. United States copyright law, however, explicitly exempts the appearance of standing buildings from copyright protection

Legality of recording by civilians

Photography and the law

My site
flickr

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I like the idea of street photography but it has become such a crazy genre to express myself in. For me, the more people there are, the less timid I am. Thats why I always wait for a festival or travel to a metropolitan area. I like using wide angles. The 50mm on a crop body was too difficult to frame while walking around and seemed unnatural.

Im also guilty of only photographing in busy areas, im fine in the town centre, even if theres not that many people there, im not sure why it just seems you can get away with it more. But when you look at some of the images from the big names they have a couple of small children on a corner, or a quiet cafe with a lone figure, I couldnt even approach a situation like that and think of photographing it, i just wouldnt have the guts.

Twenties Superstar posted:

That's why subject is so important in street photography and why so many budding street photogs fail because they think it's the same as just taking a photo of any random person walking around.

Do you think you have to make a conscious decision to get over that? or it just comes with experience?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Luk3 posted:

Not sure how Bruce Gilden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Gilden) wasn't mentioned (If he was and my reading comp sucks I apologize). I don't think there's many street photographers that push the ethical boundaries of the medium more than this gentleman. The results are pretty good too...

Added to OP.

I do love his street portraits, his style is very aggresive though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

Video that shows just how in your face he gets.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

dunno posted:

Great shot.

Reichstag posted:

Not exactly how I visualized it before releasing the shutter, so I don't know if I like it or not.

I still like it, the frame or whatever it is blocking out her husband is nice.

from today.

As he fell.

After he fell.

Kid was alright I think, his sister in the pram didnt care though.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Fragrag posted:

Too bad it's focused on the hand in the front, I guess that's the annoying thing of shooting from your hip. (You did shoot from your hip, right?)

Yer they where from the hip, well I hang the camera around my neck and rest my hand on it.

Radbot posted:

Do you guys set out to take street photos, or do you just take your camera along whenever you plan to be walking about?

I set out to, I have my camera with me when I go out most of the time anyway, incase something happens, but must of my photos are from when ive gone out specifically to shoot.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

sandmaniac posted:

general question: why do you people shoot street? why do you like it, why do you think it's worth doing, what's special about it?

Twenties Superstar answered this perfetly.

Pompous Rhombus those Thai New Years shots are great, really capture the energy of the celebrations. Your thread in tourism and travel was a big inspiration before i went backpacking, although only for 6 weeks.

For the first time today I actually asked someone if I could take there picture, granted it was a crazy preacher but I like the way they came out.

This isnt as sharp as I would have liked but so glad I got it, had to do a little run to get over to them in time.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

I got asked to do a small interview by an iphone street photographer for his website, which was very flattering.

I gave CC a good old plug.

http://justwhatisee.com/post/175710092/photography-spotlight-chris-hegarty

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Rangerfinder elitism yet again though.

Im completely fine with him using a rangefinder to shoot street, but it make me somehow "unpure" because I dont?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Interrupting Moss posted:

I went nuts with the zone system last week, I'm very pleased with the results. I have a few more frames to shoot on a roll of Tri-X then I'll see how that went.

What do you mean by zone system? Is that pre-focusing?

I've switched to film instead of digital, went out today and having to manual focus is a massive change, instead of shooting from the hip and letting the AF work now I have to do it myself. Going to take a fair bit of practice to get my confidence back up.

The last shot is great by the way.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Love this, usually I almost always prefer street stuff in black and white, because things look less busy, but this is a really nice shot, no action, nothing even particularity interesting happening but just a great sense of right time and moment, works well.

rear end is my canvas posted:

^^^Isn't that just asking to get chased and beat up by angry parents?^^^

Only if you haven't got a nice innocent look about you haha. Or if your like me, just do it while there not looking and when they notice you, smile and walk off.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

HPL posted:

I like it better than that whole "documenting the human condition" hootenany.

YOU CAN ONLY DO THAT WITH A RANGEFINDER!!

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

That picture is a perfect example of why no matter what camera you use, most of the time street photographers look like dicks, myself included, people are always saying and thinking "what is he doing with that camera, why would he want a picture of that?" so everyone should just forget about getting noticed with an slr.

Being unnoticed is a massive part of street photography, but to make the argument people will see you unless you use a rangefinder is stupid, I have used a fed 3, an A1 and a 7D and if someone notices you pointing something at them then they notice you, no matter how big or small it is.

And also

"Hay guys? look at this, I have one eye looking through the view finder... but wait, the other eye is looking out into the world, you cant do this with an slr..."

Can't you? I'm doing it right now, oh and whats that in the picture above, your left eye is closed?

He does make good pictures, just needs to get over himself.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

thpook posted:

The reason street photographers like rangefinders is because gently caress carrying a 20 pound hunk of camera and glass while you're taking photos of people. I frequently end up walking over 10 km when I'm out shooting, and sore shoulders aren't fun at all. It helps that leica makes incredible lenses.

Maybe its because I've been a laborer since I left school, but I don't care if I'm walking around with all my cameras, lenses, film, litres of water and a tripod.

Will regret it when Im and old man for sure ha.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

WildFoxMedia posted:

If this has been covered and beat to death, I apologize and you can feel free to beat me to death.

I'm envious of you guys doing street photography. To me it captures people being spontaneous and in most cases, people not attempting to pose for a camera - people just being well... people, and I absolutely love that.

As for my question - It seems like quiet a few of you are shooting in fairly metropolitan areas where someone snapping pictures of the surrounding area may not seem incredibly out of the norm. If you don't live in one of those metro/downtown areas do you feel nervous about taking photos of people? How often do you get confronted by people you've taken pictures of, asking what/why? Do people get irate and demand that you stop or delete any pictures taken with them?

I would love to try my hand at street photography using my Canon T1i - I just don't want to piss people off, seem like a creeper, etc.

Thanks

In built up areas its alot easier to fire away without being noticed, but its much harder to get good photographs.

Start by shooting from the hip, even in areas with not much going on people wont notice, then your confidence will slowly build and if you felt like could start raising the camera to your face, some people make eye contact others just take the picture and walk away. All depends on your demeanor and reading the other person.

This was taken in Poland and it was pretty obvious I was taking his picture, but its very rare people will complain, most people just think "oh well hes obviously not taking a picture of me".

Polish Fisherman by chrisdhegarty, on Flickr

Sometimes its a better picture if they notice

Untitled by chrisdhegarty, on Flickr

But sometimes people just hate getting there picture taken, understandably, and make a big fuss. I had a pretty heated discussion with this man and in the end it came down to him saying I shouldn't taken pictures without me asking and me saying why not?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

That's what charges are for?

"Excuse me good sir would you mind just waiting while I call the police? I do believe you have just thrown a milkshake at my head"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

McMadCow posted:

Double posting because UGH I'm so terrible at this. I shoot and I can't get anything interesting, and about 3/4 of the shots I'm ABOUT to take I stop myself when I realize I'm about to expose a frame of the same old cliche'd poo poo filling up Flickr and DA.

I think what you will find shocking is coming from your (great) model shoots street photography is really just a massive waiting game. Having good walking shoes really helps.