Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I like the idea of street photography but it has become such a crazy genre to express myself in. For me, the more people there are, the less timid I am. Thats why I always wait for a festival or travel to a metropolitan area. I like using wide angles. The 50mm on a crop body was too difficult to frame while walking around and seemed unnatural. My biggest compositional problem now is isolating subjects. I will see someone I want to photograph, walk towards them, take the picture, but no matter what aperture I am at, I can never get the contrast I want to make them pop. As a result it seems kind of busy.

Also, to me it's weird that because there are so many famous black and white street photos, black and white just seems to look 'right' for this genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Snaily posted:

I find it weird that all the street photographer kids running around haven't adopted the selective colouring fad yet.

maybe we can start the tone mapped street photography fad

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

man thats gross posted:

I didn't expect such a profound psychological shift from picking up a new hobby.

Skateboarding did the same thing to me in high school, you constantly scan the city for lines and new spots. Those curved surfaces and benches started to look a lot more fun in a way the original designers hand't intended. So it wasn't so jarring for me when I picked up photography and started to take notice of lighting and interesting people. It is refreshing when you are able to view the world differently.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 20, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

man thats gross posted:

This is a favorite of mine. You made the harsh shadows really work for you.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

Curious as to what you guys think of Peter Funch's "Babylon Tales"

This series is very magical to me because he captured something completely normal and allowed us to perceive it in a very unnatural way. Isn't that the point of all street photography? It illustrates what makes us so similar as humans. So often we try to pick out the diverse odd ball in a crowd to make a shot. Funch stops and says that there's also something interesting about the 'everyday'. It still feels very real to me because he didn't force anyone to yawn or carry flowers down the street.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

that was really great.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Even though he was pushing leica pretty hard, i just ignored it. It's not practical for everyone to get an M9, but there were still good things to learn. The video showed just how close he got to people, how the one guy texting on his phone never noticed the photographer as his buddies started to point out later, how he specifically addressed small towns, because at that moment I was thinking to myself "well obviously cool poo poo is going to happen in LA", but that is just an excuse i make for myself.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

DaJe posted:

I wish I actually lived somewhere where there were busy streets for me to take photos on :(. I live in a town of between 2,000 and 3,000 people, and there are literally no nearby streets I can think of where I can find the bustling life of people. Though I'm also a bit apprehensive of taking photos of people out in public. But I guess I just need to be more confident.

Do you have a central business district near you? You can still get that small town feel, which makes just as interesting subjects as mass populations. Really I think you just need to get over your own apprehensions. I'm right there with you man, stop making excuses and go shoot.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Whitezombi posted:

Did you notice the yellow umbrella when framing or was it a happy accident?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Looks like it could get pretty intense. Were you with a group of people? How did the police react to being filmed?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

McMadCow posted:

Double posting because UGH I'm so terrible at this. I shoot and I can't get anything interesting, and about 3/4 of the shots I'm ABOUT to take I stop myself when I realize I'm about to expose a frame of the same old cliche'd poo poo filling up Flickr and DA.

You can do it!

McMadCow: fearless photog of naked women in the middle of the woods, stopped by the thought of a homeless person on a park bench, say it ain't so.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

nerdz posted:

Just thought I should leave this here, some dude using the google street view cameras for street photography: http://9eyes.tumblr.com/

nice pics if you ignore everything but the subject and composition.

I can't believe some of these came from street view. Where are there zoos within view of a public road?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Duckjob posted:

Click here for the full 478x640 image.

Click here for the full 478x640 image.

Errands by capacity4action, on Flickr

Down the Middle by capacity4action, on Flickr

Street Musician by capacity4action, on Flickr

I think the last one seemed overbaked. The guy was under a shade so I have to crank up the fill light and tweak the curves.

The "hidden" camera is hilarious. The first guy strolling, I think you pulled too much recovery on his shadow side, it looks really wonky overall.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Boiler posted:

A conversation // Las Vegas by Craig F, on Flickr

It looks like you missed focus on this one? I would rather the people be in focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Beach Street