Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Those are quite nice, dunno. The light is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I thought this "Street Shots" episode was fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-IOEAlBpSo

Quite a different approach than Gilden's, but his photos are really quite good. Plus, he's on flickr.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

dunno posted:

When I watched all those videos the first time his was the one I most enjoyed, but probably more because his charisma and humour make him a more interesting subject, but he has some wise words too. I'd really like to have his no-look confidence.

Definitely. I'm not sure how I feel about the spray-and-pray method with which he shoots, because for me it raises the question of whether the shots he comes up with are more luck or skill. This would be a difficult method of photography were one shooting with film. However, he certainly produces the goods, and that's what really matters to me.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Do you guys set out to take street photos, or do you just take your camera along whenever you plan to be walking about?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kaerf posted:

I have a problem with a lot of the street photography groups on Flickr. The most popular ones I know of are called things like hardcore or raw and I find that my work doesn't exactly fall into those two categories (or anything like that). If anything, I'd like to think that my work is more honest and truthful, giving great respect to what I capture.

What a refreshing mindset. I think it's very tempting (and easy) to be exploitative within the realm of street photography. Showing respect towards your subject seems to be a value in short supply these days.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Those are some flippin' sweet shots, Pompous. They've got a superb organic feel to them. The girl with the water gun and the black and white shots are my favorite. It looks like you have some interesting halation on the last one, or is that just me?

Not to sound like a gearfag, but what did you scan these with?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

HPL posted:

Do you have county fairs or farmers markets or rodeos or anything like that around there?

Spoken like someone who knows all about Orange County. ;)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What's going on with the processing in the last set of photos? Is that HDR?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
dorkasaurus: Nice work, those are some awesome portraits. They seem a little soft to me though, is this intentional?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ah, I thought they might fall under a larger umbrella.

Really? I think the guy in the yellow jacket and the delivery guy are some of the sharpest I've ever taken, and considering they're medium format, that's pretty drat sharp. The Indian looking business-man I shot like the first day I ever had my 6x7 so yeah it's soft, and the Asian girl was shot at night with push-processed film at like 2.4 or something. Not trying to make excuses, but some of those are far from soft.

It might just be me, maybe I'm just used to seeing shots with more USM. Regardless, they're great.

What do you shoot with? A Pentax 67? Do you use a tripod?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dorkasaurus, what made you gravitate to the Pentax? It's pretty much the most beastly camera I've ever seen that doesn't have a vertical ground glass focusing screen. Also, why 6x7? Massive real estate?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Let me know how the RZ works out for you, Sadi. I've been looking at different equipment and the RB stuff seems to be a steal for 6x7 compared to the Pentaxes or RZ. Hopefully some of your experience will be translatable to the RB.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

dukeku posted:

Street photography: Why is everyone walking away?

We need some Bruce Gilden up in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This thread makes me really glad I swapped economics for photography in college.