Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Birmingham - Palestine 16/12/23 by Carl Jones, on Flickr

uk people, excuse the overwhelming presence of swp material. they were just there with tons of placards to hand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Don't Park on the Meter by Carl Jones, on Flickr

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Love by Carl Jones, on Flickr

Militancy by Carl Jones, on Flickr

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

It'd be nice to not ID people who can suffer professional damage from attending protests like this one.

It is a public march, through a major city high street with god knows how many CCTV cameras, which remained fully civil, and had by my count 11 other photographers. I have been through the work of at least 7 of them, they also posted whatever they got. There were about 16 police officers posted on the march too. There were also regular adults, mothers and children. This is not photography of direct action, but just a standard march on another week in a city. The police were even notified in advance, and effectively stewarded the pathway the march took.

If it were direct action where the distinction between private individual and public action were blurred, or if it lost civility, I would act responsibly by discarding any photographs I took of the march. This did not happen, however. For example, if it was photographic evidence of key individuals committing a crime in the name of activism as part of the Elbit occupation not too far from where I live, I would never take a picture and never share it if I did unless all individuals were fully masked. However, this was a public march with pre-notice given to local law enforcement.

The purpose of the march is to draw attention. To then hide away all evidence that it took place would be to undermine the very effort. I know people like to take this approach of acting like every protest carries risk for everyone in attendance, but they apply it too broadly and on the wrong demonstrations.

I am from someone who is personally involved in all of this stuff through various orgs and associations. I know what I am doing and would treat it would caution and care if the action was of any nature that could bring personal harm. Those organising, to whom I am affiliated, even called for as many pictures to be taken and disseminated as possible, so as to prove the point that people do not support the cause is false. Nobody at this march was under any illusion. As stated by others, the issue isn't that physical memory of the action exists, it is that police can harass for it. But they need cause, and they gave this their blessing.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Absolutely. Keeping in mind what is being photographed and why it is happening is a key concern when it comes to public action.

However, I have personally organised more radical action than this march. This is what I'd tout as the march of the wrinklies, with not a single speaker at the pre-speeches under 40. If the police were going for anyone, it would have been 3 months ago, or for the sporadic occupations of private or civilian infrastructure. However, I never photographed any of those, for the reasons above.