Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treble
Feb 14, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treble
Feb 14, 2001
I've been trying to work on my street stuff since the last time I posted, working with a variety of focal lengths and techniques. I've often found wide angle street photography to be challenging, but when you are able to get the right distance to your subject, the perspective can be striking.

Here's some wide angle street stuff (okay, so I snuck one 50mm shot in there too) I've taken in the past 6 months or so. I'd be interested in hearing any comments people might have on them.

There's lots more at my flickr, if you're interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/trebbble

treble
Feb 14, 2001

Anmitzcuaca posted:

I had a look through your photostream and there's some really great stuff, I particularly like the 50mm portraits of people on the street. How did you approach them and ask to take their photo?

Thanks!

I was shooting that series for a blog/newspaper. I basically just went up to people and asked them if I could take their picture, because I thought they looked cool, stylish, had character, or however I chose to put it. I told them my name and how their picture would be used. I also asked them a few questions about themselves for the article. I didn't have any special credentials or anything though.

You just have to make people feel comfortable, and trust you. There were many who didn't, so you have to get used to hearing "no" too. :)

treble
Feb 14, 2001
I find it interesting the difference focal length can make for the feel of a street photo.

Here are some examples.

17mm is quite interesting because you can manipulate perspective so much. It can be fun for street stuff, especially when you use zone focusing, but I don't think I would feel comfortable with it as my only street lens. Still a lot of fun to shoot with, but best to start somewhere else if you're just starting with street... it's more of a complimentary focal length for this purpose IMO.

17mm:

IMG_1245 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_8142 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0084 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0119 by trebbble, on Flickr

24mm is my preferred focal length. It provides a nicely cinematic, slightly larger than life feel while without having as much distortion as a 17mm. I mostly like it because it gives context to the environment, is easy to shoot from the hip, and can focus really close... in short, it's incredibly versatile. It works well for night street shots too, since you can drag the shutter quite a bit.

24mm:

IMG_0087 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0089 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0244 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0337 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_1974 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_2849 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_2830 by trebbble, on Flickr.

50mm is the classic street focal length, and the best to start getting comfortable shooting street with IMO. A natural feel through the viewfinder means shooting from the hip isn't too difficult. This is the focal length where it starts to become easier to use depth of field to isolate your subject; with wider lenses, you often have to get a lot closer, which not everyone is comfortable with.

50mm:

IMG_0359 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0804 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0798 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0827 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_2688 by trebbble, on Flickr

Longer focal lengths like 100mm allow for more candid observation, but also give a more clinical, distant feel. I find that many street shots with a longer focal length give a feeling of isolation and a more compressed image, which doesn't always work with all subject matter. Still, I consider a longer lens within the 85-200mm range a must for certain styles of street shooting.

100mm:

IMG_9910 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0206 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0198 by trebbble, on Flickr

treble fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 13, 2010

treble
Feb 14, 2001

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Hey! Nice stuff! I recognized that it was Toronto as soon as I saw the godawful orange/brown formica on the subway floor. Your really 'got' Toronto with these. And thank you for not just taking pictures of homeless people. Someone in my class did this as a 2nd year thesis...

:ughh:

Thanks! I'm glad that came through in the pictures :)

Yeah, I think the homeless thing is a bit of a "right of passage" that many photographers go through. I've taken a few pictures here and there, but mostly for a particular moment, not because the subjects were homeless per se. I'd really think twice about submitting a series on the homeless as a project too :)

j.peeba posted:

It's probably most helpful to newbies but it might be interesting to anyone who's curious about how other photographers approach their craft. Any feedback about the article would be cool!

I gave it a read, and I thought the best thing an aspiring photographer can take away is that photography is a process that *starts* with the camera. I recall seeing a exhibition of Diane Arbus contact sheets, and it really drove home the importance of picking the correct shot out of a series of moments. It can't be understated. I thought your article was an interesting look into your process, thanks for sharing.

On a completely unrelated note, I borrowed a new 70-200 from Canon and took it for a test drive for a few days. Nice lens. Here are some street candids from when I had it.

IMG_3073 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3056 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3107 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3067 by trebbble, on Flickr

treble fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 31, 2010

treble
Feb 14, 2001
Haven't been around in a while, and it's been great to go back through the fast few pages and see all the great shots I missed. There's some real talent on these forums.

I've been working really hard on my street stuff over the last 9 months or so, trying to develop a bit of a style, and would love to hear some constructive criticism.

Here's a bunch of mine from the last few months:

IMG_3501 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3580 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3756 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3815 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3822 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3629 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3716 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3724 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3727 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3983 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3992 by trebbble, on Flickr