Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The 50mm on a crop body was too difficult to frame while walking around and seemed unnatural. My biggest compositional problem now is isolating subjects. I will see someone I want to photograph, walk towards them, take the picture, but no matter what aperture I am at, I can never get the contrast I want to make them pop. As a result it seems kind of busy.

One thing about wide angle lenses is that the distance at which they go to infinity focus is much, much shorter than with a standard lens. With a wide angle, you can put the focus on infinity and f/8 and you'll be able to get a lot of things in focus most of the time.

When I'm messing around with street-style photography (I'm pretty awful at actual street photography), I usually use a 28mm lens with 400 film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

visuvius posted:

I'm really jealous of all you people that live in or are close to these urban areas that seem to be teeming with life. Street photography is hard as poo poo in bland as hell Orange County.

Do you have county fairs or farmers markets or rodeos or anything like that around there?

What you may want to do is look up the Farm Security Administration's photo archives from all the photos they gathered during the Great Depression. The bulk of it is rural photography, including street-style photos, just done in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_Security_Administration

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/fahome.html

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Telephotos aren't ideal for street photography because they're very picky for focus. Wider lenses aren't so critical with focusing so they're better for shooting from the hip or hit-and-run snaps. If you use a 28mm (on full-frame/film), you can pretty much shoot behind your back or sideways without even looking at the subject because the field of view is so wide and the distance to infinity focus is so short.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
"Documenting the human condition" is the new "bokeh", except in reverse.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Brawnwrong posted:

I am a big chicken. I would love to walk into town tomorrow and start snapping away but I am so worried that some burly chav is going to ram my camera up my nose for "taking a foto of my wife!"

Learn to shoot from the hip. If you're really paranoid, start out with a digital point and shoot so you won't make any noise at all.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ric posted:

Here are some street portraits I took last night - not what I was planning on doing, but they were intrigued by the camera so I took the opportunity.

You did that with FP4? drat. Did you push process the bejeezus out of it or something?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dik-dik posted:

Eh, my definition of "street photography" is basically the human equivalent of wildlife photography: Taking pictures of people in their natural habitat.

That's about the best description of street photography I've seen in ages. I like it better than that whole "documenting the human condition" hootenany.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

fronkpies posted:

YOU CAN ONLY DO THAT WITH A RANGEFINDER!!

A LEICA! PAINTED BLACK!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, I'd say the best way to not get noticed is to simply pretend you're a tourist, and point your camera at buildings and poo poo. Then when they're not looking, point it at people

Wide angles are good for that because you can get a person in the frame while not necessarily pointing the camera at them. It does have a few drawbacks though. Beware of taking photos of women with wide angle lenses because they think you're taking a photo of their boobs.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

thpook posted:

My Nikon F4s is NOT a walking about camera, my M2 was. There's also the little issue of mirror slap of older slrs being loud as gently caress, but it stopped being an issue around the time of the F4 with its silent drive.

Mirror slap is actually often shutter slap more than anything else. I've found that when I've held the mirror up and tripped the shutter on a lot of older SLRs, it's the shutter that makes the majority of the noise.

The sound varies quite a bit amongst camera models as well as manufacturer. My Pentax ME Super has a nice tight muted sound rivaling rangefinders versus my Pentax MX which is more of a clang. With Olympus, my OM-2SP has a rattly sound, the OM-2N has a tight but louder snap and the OM-4T is somewhere in between.

And then you could get something crazy like a Canon 1N RS which uses a pellicle mirror so there's no mirror slap at all, the downside being that it's rather large.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Twenties Superstar posted:

no.

That's why god invented overpasses.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Neopan 100, under an awning, on a very overcast day is the reason :colbert:

Street photography must be done with Tri-X! :argh:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The iPhone is so stealth it's ridiculous. Reasonable quality, totally silent and a common handheld item so it doesn't raise suspicion unless you're really obvious. Great for catching people acting naturally.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

GWBBQ posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, buy nobody looks anything resembling stealthy holding an iPhone perpendicular to the ground.

Hold phone normally to figure out composition and get settings down, tilt up for the shot, tilt back to normal position. It's only really obvious if you do it three or four times in a row in the same spot. Plus people have become oblivious to camera phones these days.

What I'd really like is a 45 degree prism to stick on the lens so you wouldn't even have to tilt the phone up.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Some iPhone photos from my trip to Europe:

Rest of set: http://www.mikechow.com/Mike-and-Adelle/Europe-2011/Blog/17267242_Nmzgnr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

krackmonkey posted:

Man, those are some nice shots. It's easy to pass off Hipstamatic/Instagram stuff as cliche, but used in the right context, it more or less owns.

It's a matter of the right tool for the job. I have plenty of nice photos that I took with my 40D, but the iPhone was what was on me when I took these photos or I felt that a more film-like high contrast/high saturation type of photo is appropriate for the subject as well as the square format. Shooting with a Rolleiflex and a Kiev 60 has made me more aware of the particulars of composing in square plus shooting black and white film has also helped in learning what works and what doesn't in black and white versus what works in colour.

I also have a few rolls of Tri-X that I shot with an Olympus XA, but I haven't got around to developing them yet.

Incidentally, one like gizmo that served me well for shooting from the hip with a DSLR was a little bubble level that fits in the hotshoe like this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/resin-hot-shoe-bubble-spirit-level-for-dslr-slr-cameras-32978

HPL fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 23, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Fiannaiocht posted:

Anybody do street shooting with a tlr? I wonder if the slower framing is offset by being more stealthy.

It's not that much slower to frame once you get used to it. The slowness comes from focusing on ground glass, but if you pre-focus and use an aperture that gives you big depth of field, you can hit and run with the best of them.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think one thing is that there aren't really any outstanding elements in the photos. The people are just kind of standing there and the settings aren't particularly striking nor are there any quirky juxtapositions or anything like that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Bouncing a couple of ideas off you guys here:

-Hidden video camera like a GoPro. Turn camera on, walk by subject or stand near subject, capture a few seconds then turn camera off. Do a frame grab off of the video later.

-Radio remote trigger on a DSLR like a Cactus V5 so you can hang the camera in front of you and take photos with the remote while pretending to read a newspaper or something.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Street photography in Rome should be easy. So many cameras around that it would be impossible for any one person to avoid any one camera.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Schofferhofer posted:

tbh I see less than one in ten fashion photographs that don't look awful.

The issue with telephotos is obviously that they can't capture interesting scenes, nor give the feel of depth that a wide angle can.

Telephoto photos generally don't have the same feel of closeness that wide angles do because of the flattening effect and lack of exaggerated perspective. Kind of hard to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think what it might be is that people associate that telephoto look with glamour and what not and wide-angle work looks more gritty and intense, which seems to be a large part of the whole street photography thing.