Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Great OP, I was hoping someone would make this thread.

I've been getting into street photography, but more specifically street portraiture so to speak. I'm finding myself interested more in the people than their surroundings. To this end I usually pack my 70-200 at ~135+ so I can get a tight crop on an individual.

I usually end up doing a fair bit of post to make the subject try to stand out. I guess you could say this goes against the nature of street photography, but I'm not pretending to be a journalist and in the end I'm just in it to make images that I find personally interesting.

I've got a few on my flickr. Going to hit up the CNE next week, hoping for some great crowds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yes, he's the one photographer I've seen who's style genuinely makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because I wouldn't like having someone shove a flash and camera in my face.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like it because it makes you look at people in a crowd. There are some real characters you just walk by without giving them a second thought. When you're looking for an interesting subject you start to notice things about the people around you, how each one is unique once you separate them from the faceless mob.

That sounds like some stupid hippie bullshit but I found it's pretty true :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Street photography definitely tends to get more awkward for me when I'm one on one with the subject on what is otherwise a deserted street.

Nevertheless, it's fun. Two from my last roll. I went out with the intention of shooting more people, but these are really the only people I came across. Stupid lazy Sundays :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dang, I thought I had a good one but the subject didn't come out that interesting after all :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

man thats gross posted:

I suck at shooting from the hip. I have no idea which way my camera is pointing.

Don't worry, I have you WAY beat in the "how the gently caress was I aiming the camera to get that angle?" department:

DJExile posted:

I like the kid on the right giving you the stink-eye. :shobon:

The saving grace of photography: Even in a boring photo there's probably still something cool to look at :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You churn out some of the best shots. I was in love with your 6x7 in the Pentax thread, now I kind of want one :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

those were taken on my 35mm Canon :ssh:

Welp, still impressive :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anmitzcuaca posted:

What exactly do you tell people who ask you why you want to take their photo? I've seen a few people out and about with interesting outfits and such but I'm too shy to ask to take a picture in case they object.

I'm the same way, but lately I've had the mindset of "Just take their picture". 19 out of 20 people will either smile, pose, say something nice, or just ignore you. One out of twenty will turn away the instant they see your camera, glare at you, or hold up their arms and make it blatantly obvious they don't want their photo taken. One out of a hundred (hundreds?) will actually confront you, at which point you just walk away, say "sorry man", or whatever you want. Unless they're literally crazy you won't get into any kind of fight so I wouldn't worry about it. If you're shooting here in North America and you're in a public space then there isn't really much anything you can shoot that will get you into any legal trouble as far as an individual is concerned.

Mind you this is here in the Toronto area. We're not really known for overly aggressive people.

I mean, this is a really long way of saying "man up and just do it", but man up and just do it. If you're really not feeling brave, take two beers or however many it takes for you to just lose your inhibitions slightly. That really opens up the "I'm going to stick a camera in someone's face" instinct. I've done it on several occasions and it helps take the edge off, as sad and depressing as drinking to take photos might sound. Some people will say this is stupid advice, but it works for me when I'm feeling less than personable.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 9, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

treble posted:

This is the perfect example of times where colour is so much better for a street photo than b&w in my opinion. This is so goddamn good :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe it's just because they're all sandwiched together in a pile, but I'm having trouble finding any terrible distortion.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the other hand, I like the way a lot of telephoto street shots look. I can see why some people might not, but to each their own.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I thought those were all part of the same photoset and you made me wonder if there's a Tim Horton's in NYC :stare:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really like that shot.

At the same time I wish you had shifted over or down just a scooch so that one guy didn't have bananaface.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

JuanChai posted:

Cross-posting from the snapshot a day thread. Soz. Trying to achieve a kind of 70's Hong Kong cinematic style with these...

gathering by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

metal by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

bags by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

More here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/

These are /amazing/. Can I ask you what post-treatment you gave them? The look is particularly pleasing to me, and something I've been trying to do myself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those particular shots are a little haphazardly candid for me, but you did a great job of not backing away from shoving that big snoot close to people's personal space. This is one of my pacts for photography this year :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

darknrgy posted:

I've been pondering this all day and I'm at a loss. Initially I thought "candid" was desirable but then I remembered some of my favorite street has some element of intrusion in it. It's almost as if there's a magical timing where you've caught their attention but they haven't had a chance to process it. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the contradicting nature of street and this is really true. If they don't notice, it's too candid. If you wait too long it's over. Somewhere in between is this awkward moment and I think that might be the key. Much more difficult than what I've done.

I think that's what I meant when I said they were "too candid", though I certainly didn't mean that in any particularly bad way :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the other hand, I bet you'd be able to recover that dog photo much more easily on film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

N'thing the enjoyment of those photos. High contrast B&W is where I want to live.

Also the fact that you're using a 5N gives me a LOT of hope because that's the digital camera I am most likely going to replace my D200 with.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 3, 2012