Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Will post more some other time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

thpook posted:

The security grate in the lower right of this shot causes your OOF areas to look aliased.

That's more or less a coincidence from tilting the lens over an area that responds that way. I could fix it in post but I don't really care about it.

quote:

I love this photo, except for the way the neon signs become big bright blobs of colour. You needed a bit more depth of field on that shot.

Yeah. The other problem is that I missed focus sort of. It's not quite dead-on. I wasn't really happy with any of the shots I took that day.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

I think #4 is the worst one, but you tell me.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Full Frame with two capital f's.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
No, glad to have the feedback, thanks dude.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Thanks. Any feedback is helpful so I really appreciate it! Yeah, I'm trying to step away from all that horrible processing I did in the past. We'll see how it goes.

torgeaux posted:

For some reason, I really, really like this one. Don't know why, but I think the ethereal quality that appeals to me wouldn't appeal to say, oh, poopinmymouth.

Ah yes, I could talk about the hidden/deeper meanings for hours.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

I have to say that the image of the girl makes me a little uncomfortable in that I feel like she probably didn't want her picture taken and it feels a little bit like you stole her soul, but that's just a personal thing and is very much within the domain of street shooting.

Actually, you're right. It makes me feel uncomfortable too for the same reason now that you mention it. I think I should delete it.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Double posting because UGH I'm so terrible at this. I shoot and I can't get anything interesting, and about 3/4 of the shots I'm ABOUT to take I stop myself when I realize I'm about to expose a frame of the same old cliche'd poo poo filling up Flickr and DA.

In my experience second guessing yourself is lethal. All of my best photos have been when I'm not thinking about anything but the photograph.

edit: Also, I have found that my best photos come after 'warming up' first, so sometimes I will take those cliche or easy photos just to get myself going. Then I net better results afterward.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 9, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Girl by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Cambodian Gothic by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Both of these are excellent!

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Developing countries are another thing entirely; people don't have the same concerns and a lot of the time kids will ham it up for the camera and crowd around to see the picture on the LCD.

This is the exact opposite in New York City. People hate the camera in New York, especially if you try to take their picture incognito and get caught. Sometimes the reactions are just pissy, but then there are those that get really out of hand. Once I was chased by a street vendor down a city block but I outran him, another time I was lunged at and the camera was almost torn from my neck. A policeman intervened and I got out of the situation okay (but I nearly lost a few thousand dollars worth of gear). For the most part, though, people just give you dirty looks. So I don't photograph people like this anymore. They don't like it, I don't like it, and the pictures don't usually work. I now resort to asking people if I can take their photographs. It's not street photography, it's more like street portraiture. But if they say yes it frees me from the restraints of having to be sneaky, and I'm able to focus on taking better pictures. At least that's what I'm hoping. I haven't seen the film yet, I should be getting it next week.

When I'm out in places like the city, however, I often think of developing countries like Cambodia and what it must be like to be around people who haven't formulated such negative opinions about the camera. It must be very liberating.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I have yet to see really good street photography today. I like some of this guy's stuff, but basically, the good shots from people on flickr and even in this thread, for example, are lucky ones. The really good street photography you saw 30, 40 and 50+ years ago just cannot happen again today as easily. People (in this part of the country at least) are just too aware of their surroundings and of the camera.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

tween_spirit posted:

Day 10 03 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

ha! I took a picture of this guy the other day. Or at least I think I did. I may have put him in my frame and moved on.

torgeaux posted:

I like looking at the good street stuff, but it's one shot in 10 of those I see posted, let alone the ratio to shots taken. On the other hand, I love the "my walk to work" series that Mannequin did. It wasn't street photography, but it had a lot of why I like street in it.

Hmm, I don't think I did a "walk to work" series, but I'm glad you liked it! I'll take credit for it either way.

Clown posted:

I just got a 135mm f2 L, hoping to take more portraits. Will street shots not go well with it? Isn't it just a case of standing further away?

I think 85mm is more preferable. 135mm can get a little shaky when the light gets low, and you may not notice slight blur until you get home and look at the shots. It's also a much heavier lens, the 85mm lenses these days tend to be fast and lightweight. I also think that 135mm puts too much distance between you and your subject. At the end of the day it boils down to personal preference. Go out there and shoot and see what you come up with.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

DukeZepar posted:

First time doing some street photography. Opinions?

I think you should keep practicing. You succeeded in taking the picture, but failed in capturing a subject that was interesting enough to hold our attention. What made street photography great wasn't just getting the shots, but getting good shots. It was about timing and noticing small things we usually miss, like a look a person is giving someone else. Although she was an amateur and not really recognized until recently, I really think Vivian Maier did some of the best work. But Robert Frank, Cartier-Bresson, Martin Parr, Bruce Gilden, all did great work and set the bar very high. You should google these people and take a look at some of their shots. Their photos will help explain street photography better than I can in words, and I think you will see, after looking at their photos, why yours doesn't work. That is, if you don't mind comparing yourself to the pros.

What I find is a successful tactic, although admittedly I don't really do much "street photography" lately (more street portraiture), is to continually look for things. If I am heading downtown to a particular area or to this one street, I do it with my eyes open looking all around me as I walk, with almost the same intensity as though I was looking for something I'd lost. When I'm on a busy street I go slow and look at all the people around me and try and find things in the crowd that no one else can see because they're so busy.

So, in short, just practice more.

Here's one I took the other day that I liked but I don't think I got close enough to the subject and I don't think the message of frailty and loneliness (which is what I was going for) was conveyed strongly enough:

Here is one that I feel is more in line with the type of photographers I mentioned before, but my shadow is such a strong presence that I think it likely hurts the shot. Otherwise, I think he is sort of an interesting character and his pose and facial expression is memorable.

But I'm still practicing also.

Edit:

Schofferhofer posted:

JCP111003-15 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

My Plustek arrived today so there'll be some gritty b&w street poo poo up on here soon.

I think this one works great. Also, let us know how you like the Plustek because I hear it's halfway decent and it may be a good investment for my 35mm work later on.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 14, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Clown posted:

Should I stop taking pictures of tramps?

I think taking pictures of tramps and bums and homeless without their permission is pretty bad. That's not to say I haven't done it because I got some high fives for taking a few in the past, but my feelings on it now are that it is pretty low brow. I mean, if you are doing a piece on The Homeless and you photograph homeless people with their permission and you are doing it for a cause, that's one thing. But otherwise, they are already an abused bunch and taking their photo makes them feel lovely and it's exploitative and an easy way to get a high five from somebody, but not really creative or special, so you shouldn't do it. That's just how I feel about it, others may disagree.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

QPZIL posted:

Mostly the latter 3.
Mostly-mostly the last one.

I think good street photography is about looking around and finding a scene or a group of people that are doing something that is somewhat interesting or may become interesting, and moving close to that spot and leaning up against a tree or a fence with your camera relaxed down by your side, not posing as a threat, and just hanging loose and watching things go by for a while, but keeping a sharp eye and knowing in the back of your mind that if something interesting happens you must capture it and be ready for it. It's all about the the one moment. You have to be constantly observing. And while you are there waiting you can peer around at other places and see if it's maybe better to be somewhere else. But if your goal is good street photography, then I think you have to take it slow, not fast. Luck is a part of it, but waiting for the right time is a bigger moment, and if you are already there and have blended in by becoming part of the background scenery it takes less balls and gumption to jump in for a quick shot. Then you make your getaway, quietly and comfortably, satisfied that everything was worth the wait.

I don't really have the patience for that. But if I made a point of doing it for a day, I would probably come away with some good photos. Walking along and snapping at the hip left and right, I think you'll get a lot of crappy shots.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Musket posted:

That lady is just about to go ape poo poo on the guy with the canon zoom lens claiming hes copying her shots.

That's happened to me before, once in a museum and once on the street. It is a little annoying. One time I was going along and saw something I thought was really nice, but taken at a particular angle it would work much better. So I got down low and then just as I snapped the picture there was a guy right next to me in the same position taking the same shot. I was like what the hell? I was annoyed and almost said something, but in the end I just moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
When you see that many people taking pictures of the same thing, that's when it's time to leave.