Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
I went into the city the other day to take a bunch of shots, but I feel like I didn't go in with a specific enough plan of what I wanted to shoot. The result was that seeing as I live in the sticks, I got stimulus saturation real quick and just started snapping shots of everything: architecture, landscape, abstract, and a few shots of people too.

What do you guys do regarding planning/checklists before a shoot? Do you find it helpful to have a short checklist of shots you want, or do you just set out with "shots of interesting people" in mind?

Anyway, pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

If I'm shooting with intent, then I'll usually scout out the stuff I want to shoot before, get some idea of how it lies within its surrounds, what the angles are, where the light is.Take some bad shots as references to see how they look with a quick edit.

Even for more candid and spontaneous stuff, that works well because you can get yourself into a good frame and then wait for something to happen inside that.

Also, don't take photos of homeless people. It's exploitative and lovely.

Thanks, that's useful stuff about pre-selecting framing and sites.

I wouldn't normally take photos of homeless people, for the record, and probably won't again. In fact, I think I'll remove that photo - thanks for the reality-check. I did give that guy some cash afterwards and thanked him for being such a good sport, and one of the photographic regrets I'll carry to my grave is that I didn't think to have the camera ready to catch his reaction. The smile he gave me was the most wonderful, most unscripted, most genuinely human expression I've ever seen, and I would have loved to have captured that as a way of showing his humanity to a wider audience. That one smile made me seriously consider a project of getting to know some of these rough sleepers and street-living people and trying to capture and share their humanity and stories, but I live a long way from the city, and I suspect that's a project of ambition well beyond my current abilities to pull off tastefully and non-exploitatively...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

I love this, it's super dreamy in a high-concept sci-fi flick kind of a way...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Phenomenal.