Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk
Did someone say street photography?

I love me some street photography, though I guess it's technically photoenthnography nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk

Mannequin posted:

The security grate in the lower right of this shot causes your OOF areas to look aliased.

Mannequin posted:

Will post more some other time.

I love this photo, except for the way the neon signs become big bright blobs of colour. You needed a bit more depth of field on that shot.

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk

evil_bunnY posted:

Shoot from the hip, or raise the camera when you see the shot.
Alternatively, stop giving a poo poo :)

Stop giving a poo poo.

It's far easier said than done, but that's it in a nutshell.

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk
It helps a lot if you have an easy smile. I think it has a lot to do with monkey poo poo, i.e. we see direct eye contact as threatening. A camera is kind of a surrogate eye in some people's view, and they tend to react to cameras as if they were you, and you were staring them down. You can defuse a lot of potential situations with nothing more than a smile, since a smile in essence says "Hey, not only am I not a threat, I am a peaceful, friendly non-threat".

Like evil_bunny said, don't be a jerk. Remember, you're not doing anything wrong, not only that, it's not even illegal! Don't act like you're masturbating in public and people will be less likely to notice you.

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk
Documenting the human condition is a huge pet peeve of mine, as is "YOU HAVE TO TELL A STORY".

It expects too much from the people who will be viewing the photo.

And if photography was all about image quality and sharpness, we'd all still be shooting daguerrotypes, as the plates used record the image on a molecular level. I know no one (at least no one not on the internet) who has the patience to polish a daguerrotype plate for 8 hours in preparation of using it. Photography is a compromise between image quality and convenience of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk
The reason street photographers like rangefinders is because gently caress carrying a 20 pound hunk of camera and glass while you're taking photos of people. I frequently end up walking over 10 km when I'm out shooting, and sore shoulders aren't fun at all. It helps that leica makes incredible lenses.

My Nikon F4s is NOT a walking about camera, my M2 was. There's also the little issue of mirror slap of older slrs being loud as gently caress, but it stopped being an issue around the time of the F4 with its silent drive.