Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
I'm really happy to see this thread.

I don't try to shoot much street these days. Its a lot of work to find the combination of great light and a decent concentration of people to photograph that won't avert their eyes or whatever around these parts. Even when I do manage straight street photos I find I'm always too quick to hit the shutter and the composition often suffers.

Excuses aside, and though they are certainly un-Winogrand or Meyerowitzish, here are a few photos that I've taken and like that I think can certainly technically qualify as street:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Radbot posted:

I thought this "Street Shots" episode was fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-IOEAlBpSo

Quite a different approach than Gilden's, but his photos are really quite good. Plus, he's on flickr.

When I watched all those videos the first time his was the one I most enjoyed, but probably because his charisma and humour make him a more interesting subject than the photographs themselves necessarily, but he has some very wise words too.

I'd really like to have his no-look confidence.

dunno fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 18, 2009

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

TsarAleksi posted:

I think these are nice, but with the first two, especially, you are shooting a lot of backs-of-heads. Just doesn't make a strong image like the other way 'round might.

That's probably why I prefaced them with a stylistic discalimer... I haven't really tried my hand at "hardcore street" very often, and when I have the results have been mediocre to OK, so I thought I might post post what I thought were stronger photos rather than "streeter" photos.

I'm also partial to abusing human figures as compositional elements rather than fully considered subjects themselves. They invariably draw the eye, but the emotional tone of the images is subdued as you can't see a face. I've become a big fan of this flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/acrossthestreet/

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
Try big box store or strip mall parking lots, see how long you last before you are kindly informed that photography is not allowed on the premises.

Edit: Actually, the Vancouver Art Gallery is currently showing bunch of street stuff by Anthony Hernandez, curated by Jeff Wall. There's a lot of good colour stuff taken mostly downtown and in Hollywood as well as a lot of black and white stuff taken in less dense, poorer areas near bus stops. A lot of the b/w is done with a view camera so is less "intensely street" but there are some amazing figure centric compositions and gestural stuff. I really liked it.

dunno fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 21, 2009

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

why aren't August Sander or the Sartorialist in this thread?

both are excellent examples of how a cool subject can really take your image from good to great

plus, the sartorialist is modern, shoots digital, and has a great success story.

here's some of my better street shots:

plain to see how the guys i posted about influenced my stuff

Because they are not street photographers. There is a world of difference between street portraiture and conventional street photography, the primary one i guess being asking permission and poses. Street photography generally feels immediate and maybe a little transgressive. It's not about portraying the subjects positively so much as some imagined and captured version of "how things really are".

Those portraits are generally pretty decent but they are not street photography as conventionally talked about.

Edit: Also, I've been meaning to put together a better/more specific reply for a while, but I think the overall calibre of the shots in this thread so far is pretty high, good on you guys!

dunno fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 25, 2009

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ah, I thought they might fall under a larger umbrella.

Well, I suppose the people walking by in the background certainly count, heh.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
Instead of ranting about what is or is not street again, I will suggest that maybe dorkasaurus should start an environmental/street portraiture thread because I know he's sitting on a ton of really aces photos of people in their homes, etc. that he can't get away with trying to post here.

It might also attract an audience that wouldn't click on a street photography thread and could more easily focus on technique and ideas for capturing people in their element.

In the meantime I'm gonna go run around with a manual camera stuck on f/8, some tri-x and insatiable desire to photograph people who aren't expecting it (actually, I'm going to go make some obtuse urban landscapes and take band photos, but whatever).

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
Don't mistake enthusiasm for elitism and douchebaggery. Street photography feels a lot different with a smaller, more discrete camera. Not that I even do much of it, but here are some shots taken with a Canon SD780, which is matte black about the size of a pack of playing cards:

And there goes all my manual camera filmist cred.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Gadamer posted:

What did you do to get this color?

My guess is split toning...

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
I have just got back from my first trip to New York. It really is a lot easier shooting street there, both in terms of the density of people/scenes and the degree to which you are ignored.

I still have some b/w to develop and scan, but here's a smattering of some colour 35mm and digital p&s I've got:

edit: I also got to see the Henri Cartier-Bresson exhibition at MOMA; it was really fantastic. Do check it out, any of you, if you get a chance.

dunno fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
Street photography is generally done with "normal" or wide-angle lenses.

That 50mm would be a "normal" lens on a full-frame sensor or film camera, but would be a bit long for street photography, at least as conventionally practised, on a crop sensor DSLR.

Honestly, a kit lens, somewhere on its wide end should be fine. Consider setting a tightish aperture (something like f/8) and pre-focussing so as not to lose shots to waiting for auto-focus, you'd be surprised how deep a depth of field you can easily manage in daylight.

dunno fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 7, 2010