Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes I ever wonder if I'd have the guts to go out on a friday or saturday night and ask to take picture of people going out to the closest thing christchurch nz has to clubs

do you ask permission? or just stand there looking obviously like a photographer and just read the body language, if they see you and pose, you shoot, if they look away, you don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Some advice for with-permission street portraits that’s worked for me.

1. Have a tight, practiced intro that describes who you are and what you want to do. Something like “Hi I’m Bob and I’m a local photographer documenting the area. I’m taking street portraits today and I was wondering if I could take your photo”.

2. When you arrive at your location have a goal to ask 5 people in 5 minutes. Expect and set aside rejection. People will say no. Be polite and move on immediately to asking the next person. More people will say yes that you expect. Pick people who are walking slowly and alone. Don’t pick people from groups or who are obviously in a hurry as they’re more likely to say no and you’ll feel rushed. I personally don’t photograph people who are sitting or waiting as I think the dynamic is weird (they can’t move away if they want to without it being weird).

3. Once they say yes, take your time. Respect the time they’ve given you by getting a decent photo from that opportunity. Think about where to place them, the light, the composition, background elements. Ask them some simple questions while you’re doing this like asking them what they’re doing today / why they’re in the area etc.

4. Ask them not to smile. People do the ‘i am having my photograph taken’ fake smile by default and you need them not to do it.

5. Take one or two photos, thank them and let them go.

6. Ask someone else within a minute to keep your motivation up.

poo poo.. great advice. I am thinking about getting a bunch of business cards made and will prolly hand them out too so people can see the handiwork

wow. let’s see if I can build up the courage. i’m better than most at talking to strangers but this is next level

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
appreciate the photos my friends

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sick