Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Curious as to what you guys think of Peter Funch's "Babylon Tales"

He did an interview for Art World that I thought was really interesting

Peter Funch posted:

I liked the idea of shooting over a long time at one place and pulling it together, and I have always been fascinated by how we find and define ourselves as human beings […] I go to a street corner every day at the same time and in the same weather conditions and shoot passers-by from the same position and with the same settings. […] After a couple of days I will start to identify a pattern of ‘what people do around here,’ and then start looking for that. […] I shoot for 10 to 15 days, producing maybe 10,000 images at one street corner. I then categorize the people, build up the background and cut out the people and put them in. […] It is manipulated, but to me that’s not the point: it’s a photo which has been taken over a long period of time, a more cinematic version of Cartier-Bresson’s decisive moment.

I know a lot of people who would have a problem with this because real street photography can't be manipulated :colbert: or whatever. I think the main reason I'm not particularly interested in street photography is because a lot of it is really stale.

Like no offense TsarAleksi, but every street photographer I have ever met has at least a few of these "random business man with distracted expression" in their portfolios:

TsarAleksi posted:

Twenties Superstar posted:

Street photographers typically use black and white film because it takes the mind away from A LOT of the distracting elements that come with colour photography and distil the impact of the image to the strength of the subject, and their action, alone.

That's why subject is so important in street photography and why so many budding street photogs fail because they think it's the same as just taking a photo of any random person walking around.

The only person I can think of right now who's done color is Eggleston.

Also if any of you guys live in the Bay Area you should hit up the Robert Frank exhibit at the SFMOMA, it is really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
How about some non-Western street photos? Interview with Hiroh Kikai:

http://www.lensculture.com/kikai.html

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I saw that when it was up at the SFMOMA, it was pretty amazing and one of the better photo exhibits I've seen. Definitely go see it if you get a chance. They had everything from his contact sheets to his hand written rough draft of the grant proposal for The Americans.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
People who get really hung up on one camera or format over another are usually compensating for sucking at making actual pictures.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Twenties Superstar posted:

In the case of Chris Weeks however...

In the case of people who don't suck it's usually them fetishizing their process.

I'm not really all that familiar with Chris Weeks other than his editorial work, which I could take or leave.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Are any of you guys into Hamburger Eyes, I just got #13 in the mail and it rules.

A video about their photographers:
http://vimeo.com/1632608

A Flickr set preview of the new one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamburger_eyes/sets/72157622023208524/show/

http://www.hamburgereyes.com/
http://hamburgereyes.tumblr.com

They also run one of the last darkrooms in SF, cool dudes + their zines rule.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Couple of pics from the Oakland protest of the Meserhle murder verdict. Light was pretty bad and there were a few points where power was lost so not the greatest images. It was peaceful up until it got dark and the protest had ended, when a bunch of anarchists showed up and tried to agitate the remaining crowd and police. Fortunately it seemed like the community groups & cops were prepared this time and not much happened (at least compared to the actual riot that happened last year).

Anarchist black blocs attempting to incite violence with graffiti and smashing windows:

Most people don't take the bait and get the gently caress out, OPD comes in arrests some hippies.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Looks like it could get pretty intense. Were you with a group of people? How did the police react to being filmed?

It was pretty tame compared to the actual riot that happened last year. This time it was just a handful of Berkeley anarchist idiots unsuccessfully trying to agitate the crowd + some idiots looting one store. I thought this was probably the first instance I have ever seen of a police force handling a protest without pulling any poo poo (last year at the actual riot it was basically a free for all with cops beating & arresting whoever was closest to them).

I wasn't with anyone but I also left right before they sealed off downtown and fired tear gas so I'm not sure what happened after that.