Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Twenties Superstar posted:

There's nothing special about it :confused: It's just another genre of photography. My impression is that people like it because, for a photographer, it is an interesting challenge to capture the fleeting and exciting moments that occur all of the time on the street that most people wouldn't notice because they are usually thinking about where they are going and what they are going to have for lunch or whatever. It's really interesting to see people look at really good street photography and and be shocked at what the photographer sees, seemingly every day, when really the photographer is just capturing what anybody could see in a day out walking around downtown, it's just most people don't look for it.

I guess that's a bit overwrought: Street photographey is interesting, to me any way, because it takes something as banal and everyday as walking down the street and captures the unnoticed micro-moments of humanity-off-its-guard to create some of the most compelling (compelling because they are extremely relateable and yet somehow alien) and exciting images in modern photography.

e; I'm not entirely happy with this answer but I have to go.

This is exactly what's cool about it to me, I made a post in the PAD thread that is basically the same thing. Also I find the accessibility very rewarding, all you need is a camera and you too can be a street photographer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

fronkpies posted:

Rangerfinder elitism yet again though.

Im completely fine with him using a rangefinder to shoot street, but it make me somehow "unpure" because I dont?

I'm pretty sure I read his .pdf and it's really way over the top, it treats the Leica like Jesus Christ and it's filled with tons of anti-dSLR poo poo. It's totally contradictory, it's all platitudes like "Street is whatever, just take your picture, there's no rules" followed immediately by "If you aren't shooting on film in b&w with a rangefinder YOU ARE NOT SHOOTING STREET."