Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I like it because it makes you look at people in a crowd. There are some real characters you just walk by without giving them a second thought. When you're looking for an interesting subject you start to notice things about the people around you, how each one is unique once you separate them from the faceless mob.

That sounds like some stupid hippie bullshit but I found it's pretty true :v:

Just to add to this, even if you don't have your camera, look for interesting shots on the street. Honestly, before I took up photography the rest of the world was just a fast-moving blur to me 99% of the time. Now, I find my attention diverted outward even when I'm not shooting. I'm still composing in my mind. I see a LOT of interesting people and places on my walks around the city these days.

To me, the funny part is if I had walked by these exact same people and places a year ago, it would have barely registered with me. I didn't expect such a profound psychological shift from picking up a new hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
While I'm here, I may as well post some of my cowardly street photos.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

hope and vaseline posted:

This is awesome, and a great example of when a long lens works well in street photography.

On the subject of long lenses, I've never really understood the telephoto hate in street photography circles.

Okay, I get the idea that there's no intimacy or person-to-person interaction, but that's just one possible aspect of street photography. Maybe I want candids. Good luck with that if you're shooting like Bruce Gilden. Note that I said "candids", not "shots of people temporarily stunned by a hand-held flashbang." Or maybe I want to take advantage of the way long lenses flatten the scene to try and convey a sense of claustrophobia. Well, that's just too bad because telephotos are for cowards.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Here are a some shots from today. Some of these are cropped, thought not too heavily (by my reckoning anyway). A lot were shot from the hip. I suck at shooting from the hip. I have no idea which way my camera is pointing.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Haven't posted anything in forever.

What a cast...