Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

brad industry posted:

Curious as to what you guys think of Peter Funch's "Babylon Tales"
Awesome work. It's creative and I can appreciate the amount of work that went into the finished works. Funch never distorted reality.

If he had, somehow, done all that in the darkroom people would think he was a god.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

awesome, posed, color, street photography
These are great. "Street photography" seems to be typically understood to be black and white, spontaneous, and shot at f/8. I don't understand why, such hard rules don't apply anywhere else in photography. I'd wager that if the depth of field weren't so shallow no one would have said anything about those shots not being street photography.

If I shoot a building from the street, is that street photography or architectural photography? What if there are no people in the shot? What about all the shots that have lots of people and buildings in them? Which is it?

Don't kid yourself. That's street photography, and it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Really? I wasn't aware f/8 had that particular connotation. Thanks though.
f/8 given as an example of something that would get a large DOF, especially on a 35mm or 50mm lens, which are also generally believed to be required.

Seriously, I like those shots a lot. Post more.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yup, those are pretty cool.

People, on the streets, just looking at the camera. Good stuff. Almost makes me want to live in NYC.

Do you approach and ask to take their photo, bam, done?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Thinking I should probably make a medium and large format megathread, heh.
Yes, please.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Went to New Orleans last week.

Link to set. I went nuts with the zone system last week, I'm very pleased with the results. I have a few more frames to shoot on a roll of Tri-X then I'll see how that went.

I never thought I'd become displeased with the image quality of the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8, but here I am, unhappy. The distortion is very hard to correct and very apparent when shooting subjects like the first two frames. I like to think the composures are strong enough despite the distortion, though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Wiki on zone system. It basically assigns exposure values to "zones" and focuses on visualizing a final print and getting a correct exposure to allow for adjustment in development and printing. It's specifically for use with black and white negatives using individual development, but it has applications everywhere.

It was Ansel Adams's and Fred Archer's baby. Adams's book "The Negative" is great for learning about it.

And thank you!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

That's pretty neat.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

torgeaux posted:

Posting this in both this thread and Photographers and the Law.

http://www.7dvt.com/2010photographer-banned-taking-pictures-church-street

I love the part where the aggrieved party describes what he did...and it sounds not just legal, but perfectly normal street photography.
If it were a woman taking the photos this would have never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

We'll never know how he actually reacted to people. I'm betting he probably could have been more personable, despite what he says.

I was out taking photos in rural Oklahoma yesterday. I stopped off to take a photo of a farm house. As I was packing up a lady drove by very slowly and I met her eye. She smiled and I smiled back. Then she turned around and drove back by as I was about to get in the car. She asked "So what are you doing around here," very politely. I said I was just taking photos, I live in OKC. She asked if I was was the census. I played dumb and said "No mam, I'm not doing a survey." She said she knew the people who owned the house and just wanted to see what was going on. I said to tell her friends they had a nice house and friendly horses. By that point she was tired of the conversation and said goodbye.

Just be nice, even if the person addressing you is not. Start talking about photography and random poo poo; even in the country where people talk about corn and rodeos for hours they'll decide "Eh okay, he's not doing anything, now I need to get away before he keeps talking."

Giving terse answers and seeming skittish gives them time to wonder about what you're up to and what you might do with your photos. Yes yes it's your right whatever. Feel uppity and smug about your knowledge of the law on the internet. Be nice when you're shooting.

If it gets serious (cops bring out the cuffs), just get a lawyer.

e: and if someone is being abusive and yelling, leave. Come back later.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 16, 2010