Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Also, to me it's weird that because there are so many famous black and white street photos, black and white just seems to look 'right' for this genre.

Street photographers typically use black and white film because it takes the mind away from A LOT of the distracting elements that come with colour photography and distil the impact of the image to the strength of the subject, and their action, alone.

That's why subject is so important in street photography and why so many budding street photogs fail because they think it's the same as just taking a photo of any random person walking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Snaily posted:

I find it weird that all the street photographer kids running around haven't adopted the selective colouring fad yet.

Haha, what?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

fronkpies posted:

Do you think you have to make a conscious decision to get over that? or it just comes with experience?

In a way, I suppose. You have to understand the difference before you can actually strive for the more interesting captures and that requires a certain way of looking at things and analytical thinking that only really comes from experience.

This applies to most other forms of artistic expression as well, not just photography.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

sandmaniac posted:

general question: why do you people shoot street? why do you like it, why do you think it's worth doing, what's special about it?

There's nothing special about it :confused: It's just another genre of photography. My impression is that people like it because, for a photographer, it is an interesting challenge to capture the fleeting and exciting moments that occur all of the time on the street that most people wouldn't notice because they are usually thinking about where they are going and what they are going to have for lunch or whatever. It's really interesting to see people look at really good street photography and and be shocked at what the photographer sees, seemingly every day, when really the photographer is just capturing what anybody could see in a day out walking around downtown, it's just most people don't look for it.

I guess that's a bit overwrought: Street photographey is interesting, to me any way, because it takes something as banal and everyday as walking down the street and captures the unnoticed micro-moments of humanity-off-its-guard to create some of the most compelling (compelling because they are extremely relateable and yet somehow alien) and exciting images in modern photography.

e; I'm not entirely happy with this answer but I have to go.

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 19, 2009

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

man thats gross posted:

On the subject of long lenses, I've never really understood the telephoto hate in street photography circles.

Okay, I get the idea that there's no intimacy or person-to-person interaction, but that's just one possible aspect of street photography. Maybe I want candids. Good luck with that if you're shooting like Bruce Gilden. Note that I said "candids", not "shots of people temporarily stunned by a hand-held flashbang." Or maybe I want to take advantage of the way long lenses flatten the scene to try and convey a sense of claustrophobia. Well, that's just too bad because telephotos are for cowards.

Just so we're clear, street photography isn't just photos of people on the street. It's kind of a broad name for a very specific thing which I think causes most of the confusion. Most people who know their stuff when talking about street photography will tell you that the 50mm focal length is very important because it aids in one of the primary goals of clever street photography which is reducing formal distortion to allow the subject to stand as the most important thing in the frame so when somebody looks at the photo they get the sense of claustrophobia as if they were the one on the street walking around. So, in a sense, long lenses are for cowards because it takes a bit of gut to try and pass on that feeling on your talent and luck alone without the need of canned effects.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
In the case of Chris Weeks however...

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

dik-dik posted:

Silly idea that came to mind while I was driving today. If you were to use a shift lens, standing on the side of the road, could you make it look like you were standing in the middle of the road and get some badass shots of cars coming straight at you?

no.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
its good but, then again, back of head is good

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Ya the curve of the side walk mirrors the curve of the low eve there's nice symmetry there