Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Danzel Glovington posted:

That tracks but it'd be way too sad a reason for Luanne to have died. Then again, what would be a respectful direction to take to address it?

Edit.... Petty too, but I dunno, he seemed pretty old, still sad though.

I'd just keep it something simple and realistic like a car accident or something similar, with it having happened shortly after where the show ended, so that by the present day of the continuation(assuming it'll be a timeskip of some extent) it's something sad that happened but enough time has passed that most of the pain has faded

now I'm picturing the Hills having a new dog and depending on its gender it's named after either Luanne or Lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lucky went to work on an oil rig, obviously.

Federal oil rig.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sash! posted:

Lucky went to work on an oil rig, obviously.

Federal oil rig.

Nah that's way more disrespectful than killing him off

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lucky went to work but slipped a little too hard on the peepee and hit his head. Luanne, while working on his truck, realised being a mechanic is what she wants to be and went off to do that somewhere

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Eh writing them off by just saying they moved or whatever is just lame

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Luanne changed her name to Marjorie Taylor Greene and ran for Congress.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Luanne changed her name to Marjorie Taylor Greene and ran for Congress.

Or George Santos.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just say they both died in an accident they allude to but never reveal and Hank and Peggy are raising Gracie as their own.

Maybe add in Good Hank as well, Didi would probably just drop him off and peace out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I think Hank should be dead

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

I don't know if anyone else has spent extended periods of time chatting with friends while watching the show about how Hank would respond to Trump's campaign, presidency, and election loss. Even just from a character standpoint, Hank would have BUHWHAAAAHD at the grab em by the pussy line and might have thrown any republican related memorabilia in the trash while sad acoustic guitar music plays and he makes that disappointed face. Then Dale steals the garbage thinking Trump's team put a bunch of wire taps in the bumper stickers or something.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

drrockso20 posted:

Eh writing them off by just saying they moved or whatever is just lame

It might be lame, but I'd rather take a No Bummers angle than have those deaths hanging over the new episodes. Luanne and Lucky moved out-of-state to be closer to his family (Lucky took a 23andme DNA test as part of a misbegotten new pee-pee money scam and discovered that he had multiple half-siblings in the Florida panhandle; turns out his daddy's weekend "hunting trips" were to go see his other families.)

Similarly, Dale's brand of conspiracy kookiness was always fun and enjoyable; he was more X-Files/Sightings weird than "SovCit who just deals in racism/fascist ideology with a thin sci-fi veneer applied to it." I want 2023 Dale to be a guy who thinks QAnon is a red herring operation, conducted by the REAL Illuminati (who are aliens) to distract the public from the REAL conspiracy (other, different aliens.)

That said, "Dale unwittingly becomes the leader of an unhinged fringe political movement after they latch onto his conspiracy forum posts" feels like a pretty plausible plotline.

Brawnfire posted:

Actually, they should all be dead. It's now a low-key horror series about a family that moves into the Hills' house and slowly adopt their mannerisms and personalities.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mrs. Wakefield needs to show up and drag them to hell with her

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Brawnfire posted:

impacted colon

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Brawnfire posted:

He finally did it. His obsession with propane and propane accessories drove him mad. He killed himself inhaling propane. But he did it... for a glorious moment before his death he did it.

He tasted the heat.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kalli posted:

Just say they both died in an accident they allude to but never reveal and Hank and Peggy are raising Gracie as their own.

Maybe add in Good Hank as well, Didi would probably just drop him off and peace out.

Honestly would just have Didi die offscreen too, resulting in GH being raised by Hank and Peggy alongside Gracie

Danzel Glovington posted:

I don't know if anyone else has spent extended periods of time chatting with friends while watching the show about how Hank would respond to Trump's campaign, presidency, and election loss. Even just from a character standpoint, Hank would have BUHWHAAAAHD at the grab em by the pussy line and might have thrown any republican related memorabilia in the trash while sad acoustic guitar music plays and he makes that disappointed face. Then Dale steals the garbage thinking Trump's team put a bunch of wire taps in the bumper stickers or something.

Honestly that's why I suggested firmly setting the revival prior to 2016 to avoid having to deal with Trump

JethroMcB posted:

It might be lame, but I'd rather take a No Bummers angle than have those deaths hanging over the new episodes. Luanne and Lucky moved out-of-state to be closer to his family (Lucky took a 23andme DNA test as part of a misbegotten new pee-pee money scam and discovered that he had multiple half-siblings in the Florida panhandle; turns out his daddy's weekend "hunting trips" were to go see his other families.)

Similarly, Dale's brand of conspiracy kookiness was always fun and enjoyable; he was more X-Files/Sightings weird than "SovCit who just deals in racism/fascist ideology with a thin sci-fi veneer applied to it." I want 2023 Dale to be a guy who thinks QAnon is a red herring operation, conducted by the REAL Illuminati (who are aliens) to distract the public from the REAL conspiracy (other, different aliens.)

That said, "Dale unwittingly becomes the leader of an unhinged fringe political movement after they latch onto his conspiracy forum posts" feels like a pretty plausible plotline.

Actually, they should all be dead. It's now a low-key horror series about a family that moves into the Hills' house and slowly adopt their mannerisms and personalities.

This is exactly why there would be a timeskip of at least a couple years between where the show originally ended(with them dying very shortly afterwards) and where the revival would be picking up, sure it is sad they died but enough time has passed to mute it a good amount

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Besides, Manager Babies is a globally-beloved franchise at this point. Luanne's legacy shall live on.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Brawnfire posted:

Manager Babies

Assistant Manager Babies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Assistant to the Regional Manager Babies

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Lucky got prescribed oxy after he slipped on the pee pee. He and Luanna died of a fentanyl overdose a few years later. Peggy is heavily involved in her own off-shoot of PAIN that is completely centered on her.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Incelshok Na posted:

Lucky got prescribed oxy after he slipped on the pee pee. He and Luanna died of a fentanyl overdose a few years later. Peggy is heavily involved in her own off-shoot of PAIN that is completely centered on her.

No

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

idk if you ever saw king of the hill but it's a comedy and not sad

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Mantis42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI4wU7YxQY8 :cry:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKxGg_PtmUw

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Assistant to the Regional Manager Babies
Now I'm convinced that if they age-up everybody like we've been talking about, Hank's gonna' be Assistant Regional Manager and still think that's the highest position available.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
KoTH is all about laughing at small town white trash. Dying of fentanyl is something those people do. It's a massive part of their culture! It'd be stupid for the reboot not to make fun of it, especially since that's how Lucky's VA actually went out. Art imitating life imitating art. Layers man, layers!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

True, look how happy they are singing this jaunty lil' tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvJp2SRyBmw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Incelshok Na posted:

KoTH is all about laughing at small town white trash. Dying of fentanyl is something those people do. It's a massive part of their culture! It'd be stupid for the reboot not to make fun of it, especially since that's how Lucky's VA actually went out. Art imitating life imitating art. Layers man, layers!

The hills really aren't white trash though? I think you need to learn the lore

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

look, just because Kahn always calls him a hillbilly redneck doesn't make it true

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Kahn would know :colbert:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
If you think anyone on Rainey Street (before lucky shows up) is a redneck...you may have never met a redneck.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Incelshok Na posted:

Holy poo poo I thought you were joking about the fentanyl thing. Whoa. I don't remember that being a factor.

Anyway, I think they should keep Lucky and Luanne alive, and have them move far away, maybe to Europe, and they constantly send emails or letters, and either Peggy or Hank reads them aloud when they receive them. If there's a phone call, we only hear the Hill's side of it.

That way, you don't have to get depressing about two members of the Hill extended family literally dying, and you get to keep writing their lines, and don't need to recast them.

Or they could just recast them.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The more I've thought about it, the more I'm fine with recasting. Writing out the characters would feel contrived and the characters just never showing up would feel weird. Plus, the consensus seems to be that it's best to recast Khan and other POC in the show. So if we can recast them, we can recast anyone.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The articles about the revival have Lauren Tom announced as playing Minh and Connie but no mention of Toby Huss, so Kahn is almost definitely getting recasted.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hcreight posted:

The articles about the revival have Lauren Tom announced as playing Minh and Connie but no mention of Toby Huss, so Kahn is almost definitely getting recasted.

They should get the guy who currently voices Bugs Bunny, though he isn't Laotian. Then again, neither is Lauren Tom (or obviously Toby Huss).

Ninja Edit: looks like Eric Bauza is Filipino. Welp.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

stealie72 posted:

If you think anyone on Rainey Street (before lucky shows up) is a redneck...you may have never met a redneck.

They are if you've spent your entire life judging anyone from a red state as a homophobic racist that loves God, guns, and Bush or Trump; and the only good people from places like that had the sense to get out and share the same hatred of those places with you, even though they'll always be an unwanted transplant. Except for you, because you got out sooner.

So much of Kahn's character is wrapped up in his self-hatred of his roots. He reminds me of every condescending liberal I've ever met.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

stealie72 posted:

In Texas, they used to call them bubbas.

Texans hate rednecks too.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Arlen is the kind of sea of sentient mayonnaise that Purdue specifically targeted.

Hank thinks that Ben Shapiro has "a good head on his shoulders" and half of Bobby's class died of "despair" (a polite word for opioids).

https://youtu.be/mCjBspxuUmU

Incelshok Na fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 14, 2023

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hank wouldn't have the slightest idea who Ben Shapiro is

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

CainsDescendant posted:

Hank wouldn't have the slightest idea who Ben Shapiro is
He can't be on he internet all day. He sells propane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Incelshok Na posted:

Arlen is the kind of sea of sentient mayonnaise that Purdue specifically targeted.

Hank thinks that Ben Shapiro has "a good head on his shoulders" and half of Bobby's class died of "despair" (a polite word for opioids).

Ah okay so you've never actually seen King of the Hill