Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

We call this ADOBE, Can you say ADOUGH BEE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

psylent posted:

Cool short video about kodachrome: http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/2009/fsa_color_multimedia/

That is really cool.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

That is really cool.

Definitely. It's kinda weird seeing this stuff in color, it makes the people seem much more real.

It looked like a lot of that stuff was shot on 4x5... was that just done because it was such a slow film (I assume this was K25)?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress my life. I was shooting some test shots with my K10 a few days ago and set it to 6MP JPEG and forgot to change it back to DNG RAW. Today I shot freshman day for fun because they're always doing stupid poo poo and I didn't realize that I was shooting JPEG.

They came out OK for the most part, but all my beautiful high ISO noise looks like retarded JPEG compression now :(

CHECK YOUR SETTINGS BOYS AND GIRLS. CHECK AND DOUBLECHECK AND CHECK AGAIN :(

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Chinese salesmen send the best emails

quote:

Yes, my friend, the package was shipped out to you on 14/AUG, it will normally arrive you in 8-20 business days, but because it is the rush hour of the HongKong Post in AGUEST, so the package may be delayed by the post office for some days. However,please be relieved and patient, the package will arrive you just in time, it's now just on the way to you,so you will receive the package soon. And as I provide 100% Guarantee for you, you will never lose a money here.
Thanks very much for your business, welcome back again any time!

Best
Regards

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are you relieved?

AND patient?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Tincans posted:

Chinese salesmen send the best emails

please tell me you just ordered an adapter ring or something...

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Are you relieved?

AND patient?

I'm p. cheesed off because I'm only 5000 miles away, been waiting for this packet of replacement flashgun feet for 3 weeks

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Tincans posted:

I'm p. cheesed off because I'm only 5000 miles away, been waiting for this packet of replacement flashgun feet for 3 weeks

china is a loving black hole for shipping sometimes dude

a while back i got a seiko watch for like $20 on eBay and waited several months for it to show up before giving up.

two and a half years later, i wake up to find a nice watch on my doorstep :)

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

It could just be an odd, unreliable eBay seller like the one you've experienced. When ever I order photography "gifts" from a Chinese vendor they usually arrive within a couple days :-/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Mine always take the maximum amount of time they mention, if not a bit longer. Sucks, I've been waiting on a nice package of adapters and an accessory lens for like two weeks. I usually don't mind paying a premium of a couple bucks to buy from a US seller in most cases.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Well, I was watching last night's Jimmy Fallon and Elijah Wood was a guest. Next thing I know, hes talking about lomo and cross processing and showing off these pictures of his friends throwing a hammer around.

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/lomoamigos/2009/08/10/elijah-wood-shooting-with-the-lomo-lc-a-plus

I guess its getting close to prime time for the holga crowd. Does that make it more or less ironic?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Martytoof posted:

Pentax in space, bitches!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arena5/sets/72157606119049987/

this is pretty amazing from an space engineering pov. not that it was able to withstand operation in a vacuum but that it the k10d may be considered space rated (though it probably needs to go through thermal cycling).

Also, I think a Nikon is used on the ISS to take photos of earth as a part of an experiment.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I think if you can microwave a D3, it'll probably be okay in space.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As far as cameras in space go, all I can imagine is the mirror slapping open and sending a camera twirling in zero-g. I'm sure that violates some law of thermodynamics but I can't help but laugh.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helmacron posted:

I think if you can microwave a D3
You first

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

As far as cameras in space go, all I can imagine is the mirror slapping open and sending a camera twirling in zero-g.
Well it does slap back down a fraction of a second later 8)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

spf3million posted:

You first
Some spergin' douche with more money than common sense had a dozen or so "torture test" videos on Youtube of him mashing a D3, dropping it, drowning it, nuking it, etc.

Of course he had comments/ratings disabled and eventually removed said videos. Too many people telling him he was a moron probably. I can't find his channel anymore. I think he's deaf, he often says "hii" or "byye" at the start/end of his videos (the only times he speaks) and has a huge list of "rules" for making comments on his videos.

But I did find this just now, and uh... :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VVSub_Cwh8

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Martytoof posted:

As far as cameras in space go, all I can imagine is the mirror slapping open and sending a camera twirling in zero-g. I'm sure that violates some law of thermodynamics but I can't help but laugh.

cameras mounted on probes and satellites require quite a bit of isolation and shock absorption from any vibration from the spacecraft (reaction wheels/CMGs/ et al). For something like Hubble, well, I would hate to be working on their attitude, determination, and control (ADC or ACS) team because they probably have pointing requirement of keeping some miliarcsecond precision over the course of a week.

On that note. here's the gibbis thread on the new Hubble photos: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3198607

also:

evil_bunnY posted:

Well it does slap back down a fraction of a second later 8)

p much. momentum's conserved.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

goddamnit why is it that every day I feel like going out and shooting it decides intermittently rain

gently caress houston

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

goddamnit why is it that every day I feel like going out and shooting it decides intermittently rain

gently caress houston

I can't wait until this winter when every day I feel like going out and taking some shots in the snow, and I have to come to grips with the fact that I just don't want to stand around in sub-zero temperatures trying to adjust my camera with mittens on or fumbling around with the controls with finders that have lost all feeling.

Winter, I love you baby but why you gotta make me hate you?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I climb things. I refuse to climb things if there is a light rain, or a heavy fog, or anything that raises the moisture levels. It has rained every night where I live since for three weeks. I wake up at 3am, ready to go, I step outside and pow, rain.

I'm never going to finish my folio.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Augmented Dickey posted:

gently caress houston

Best part about living in California: it never rains. Ever. When it does do what people from here refer to as "rain" it's more like some foggy poo poo that's gone before you even notice. When I work shoots that have weather days factored in I'm like :psyduck:

When I lived in Savannah it was awful, I could never get anything done because of the flash-flood monsoons that happened every 15 minutes or so.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also, California is full of interesting people and things.

Edit: From reports I've heard, I mean.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

brad industry posted:

When I lived in Savannah it was awful, I could never get anything done because of the flash-flood monsoons that happened every 15 minutes or so.

I like Savannah, but seriously gently caress the weather around here. It can be rainy for a week and not care.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Also, California is full of interesting people and things.

Edit: From reports I've heard, I mean.

...and Houston really isn't :(

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I can't wait until this winter when every day I feel like going out and taking some shots in the snow, and I have to come to grips with the fact that I just don't want to stand around in sub-zero temperatures trying to adjust my camera with mittens on or fumbling around with the controls with finders that have lost all feeling.

Winter, I love you baby but why you gotta make me hate you?

I've never lived anywhere super-cold, but when I was in Beijing for a winter I bought a cheap pair of gloves and cut out the bottom of the index finder and thumb on the right hand and used those.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
If you just use some really soft leather gloves you should be able to use your camera fine. It's how I shoot late fall football and what I did when I was in China in the winter.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Last winter (2008) I was shooting in -20C and it was loving collllld. I have a pair of fingerless gloves which work when it is cool out but useless at that temperature. Also your battery life really goes downhill.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Keep your batteries in your pants pockets until you want to shoot :)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
MIT students send a hacked Powershot into (near) space for $148

They sent it up with a weather balloon. It took 40 minutes once the balloon burst to reach Earth.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"My camera's been to space" is the new "buttery bokeys" :smugdog:

Edit: I love cameras in space so I see nothing wrong with that, btw.

Edit2: Oh poo poo, I completely missed the part that this WHOLE EXPERIMENT was done for under $150. That's loving awesome, doggs.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 17, 2009

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Cheap and awesome? Yes, but can it carry passengers?

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Augmented Dickey posted:

gently caress houston

I swear to god I can't step out of my house without a torrential downpour immediately starting. I have like three cameras that have been loaded with film for 2 weeks waiting to go do some landscapes.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
So how is this supposed to work: Roman Abramovich zaps snappers with laser shield

I mean, sure, I could imagine being able to manually target this thing to some obvious huge lens, but the various articles seems to imply that it is able to automatically block off any sort of camera which seems pretty insane.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Greybone posted:

So how is this supposed to work: Roman Abramovich zaps snappers with laser shield

I mean, sure, I could imagine being able to manually target this thing to some obvious huge lens, but the various articles seems to imply that it is able to automatically block off any sort of camera which seems pretty insane.

It seems pretty out there. I would love to see a demonstration of sorts, but the skeptic in me thinks it works about as well as those "smart" ways to fool speed cameras for cars...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Greybone posted:

Firing a laser at the camera? I can't wait for it to zap someone who's using an SLR and burn out their eye.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

In a perfect and hilarious world, the laser would be easily defeated by a 20 dollar UV filter.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

How many cameras could this system, if it is actually effective, target at once? Put three guys on a boat shooting the same thing, one of them will get the shot.

Seems silly. I'd like to see it in action.

Good point about the hilarious lawsuit that would result from a laser fired into an SLR's lens. Given the nature of the celebrity photography business, it would almost be preferred with the amount of publicity and demand for photos it would generate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Something about camera sensors? Sounds like it'll soon be time to revert back to film :cool: