Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Sounds like some rich guy just wanted to scream, "Lasers... LAZERS! muahahhaha". they really should've designed something like the Image Fulgurator http://www.juliusvonbismarck.com/fulgurator/idee.html to ruin paparazzi shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Sounds like some rich guy just wanted to scream, "Lasers... LAZERS! muahahhaha". they really should've designed something like the Image Fulgurator http://www.juliusvonbismarck.com/fulgurator/idee.html to ruin paparazzi shots.

This is a pretty cool concept, but then I watched the video where they test it out at Checkpoint Charlie and I realized I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a tourist there for a day and someone fagged up my photos with some kind of message bullshit. I mean, that's assuming they didn't tell all the people that they saw shooting what they did. Like that one couple they talked to seemed pretty surprised so I'm willing to bet there were more <:mad:>

Just my two cents.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Make the image that you project be some obnoxious watermark, and then you'd be a photo rustler :clint:

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

CCD only? Plus one point for CMOS :cool:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
the Image Fulgurator is cool, especially the Checkpoint Charlie experiment video. I also like how it sounds like something Calvin invented.

Ken Rockwell posted a user-submitted randomizer script that pulls a random index page off his site every time you click it. First time I tried it I got this gem.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/0-new-AIS-lens.htm

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

lawl (is it time to bust out these fancy graffix yet?)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Officially the most helpful review Krock has ever given.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I broke up and one of my biggest regrets is that there was this awesome swingset by her house that I never went and took a shot of, now I don't even want to go to that city ever again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did some reading about the digital back used in that "digital holga" someone posted in one of the other threads. It was pretty awesome, with one thing that stood out in particular: It gives you an audible beep to tell you whether your histogram is overexposed, underexposed, or generally on the money. It'll give you a high or low pitch beep if it thinks you need to correct exposure.

I think that was an awesome idea, and I'm a little disappointed that nobody (that I know) has implemented it yet. Seems like it would be much easier to just listen without taking your eye from the VF instead of chimping the histogram after every other shot or something.

If you have EV compensation at your fingertips, you could theoretically fix the problem without even moving your eye.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Martytoof posted:

Did some reading about the digital back used in that "digital holga" someone posted in one of the other threads. It was pretty awesome, with one thing that stood out in particular: It gives you an audible beep to tell you whether your histogram is overexposed, underexposed, or generally on the money. It'll give you a high or low pitch beep if it thinks you need to correct exposure.

I think that was an awesome idea, and I'm a little disappointed that nobody (that I know) has implemented it yet. Seems like it would be much easier to just listen without taking your eye from the VF instead of chimping the histogram after every other shot or something.

If you have EV compensation at your fingertips, you could theoretically fix the problem without even moving your eye.

How is this different than the EV meter at the bottom of a view finder?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sadi posted:

Because it makes noise, obviously :colbert:

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Sadi posted:

What's even crazier is using a human brain to figure out if your stuff is properly exposed

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
That beep would get very annoying, I'd prefer something onscreen :/

Like the EV meter

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
But the EV meter has nothing to do with if there's overexposed parts in the actual captured image....?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Oh hey Scarlett, nice Leica.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mannequin posted:

There are so many things right with that picture that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

There are so many things right with that picture that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Counterpoint (well, just the dude on the left really):

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder if she knows how to use it, or if she's just shooting in Auto :v:

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Martytoof posted:

I wonder if she knows how to use it, or if she's just shooting in Auto :v:

Haha what?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Mannequin posted:

im so glad this thread has brought me this. now we must find more hot women with hot cameras!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Twenties Superstar posted:

Haha what?

Haha what what? Boy don't I feel dumb.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 27, 2009

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Well it is an M8. So autoexposure is a possibility.

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
I have to admit this looks rather ridiculous.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Tigertron posted:

I have to admit this looks rather ridiculous.

Reminds me of the old Sega Genesis/CD/32x tower.

I need to dig mine out of storage and shoot it someday, nobody has a good picture of it online.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

pwn posted:

Reminds me of the old Sega Genesis/CD/32x tower.

That reminds me of this

And back on topic

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Tincans posted:

And back on topic

I... uh.. 16 kilos?? http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08013101sigma250500.asp

Jesus Christ

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Tincans posted:

first of all, you broke my table, second, pretty sure that is a dirigible cleverly disguised as a lens.

and to add I found this, had there been SA back then, these guys would have been part of the dorkroom for sure.

can anyone explain to me what is going on here? caption contest, perhaps?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

my focus screen cutting

let me show you it :clint:

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This reminds me of that pinhole camera they made out of that airplane hangar.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

can anyone explain to me what is going on here? caption contest, perhaps?

All I can imagine is how much it would suck for his grip to slip. Well, that and how this picture could be made funnier if his monopod were balancing on a belt clip.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The lens on the flash serves to focus it, giving it reach. They kinda sorta work... never seen them used seriously. In this case it's going to be largely blocked by the telephoto lens.

His left hand should be grabbing the monopod. Instead he's being a cool dude and just resting it there.

Note that the popup flash is up, but not able to fully extend due to the hotshoe flash.

He looks to be at a zoo.

Conclusion: Guy has so much money he has no idea what to do with it.

edit: the blog indicates the photo was shot in Kuala Lumpur. So, double confirmed. Guy has tons of money, travels to southeast asia, takes photos at zoo.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 3, 2009

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Interrupting Moss posted:

The lens on the flash serves to focus it, giving it reach. They kinda sorta work... never seen them used seriously. In this case it's going to be largely blocked by the telephoto lens.

His left hand should be grabbing the monopod. Instead he's being a cool dude and just resting it there.

The flash gadget looks like a Better Beamer and they do work pretty decently, and some pros actually use them to get a little fill in on wildlife stuff (mostly birding).

As for the hand position, that is the proper way to handle a long tele lens to limit vibrations. Resting your arm on it like that makes a big difference.

Not saying the guy knows what he's doing otherwise, but wanted to point that out.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Fair enough about the holding. I'm used to grabbing the monopod in case I have to move quickly.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So I figure I would tell my story here. I Took the wifey shopping for a new sewing machine over the weekend and asked her if she had done any research online. She told me that they were never too helpful because they lacked specifics. The online reviews of sewing machines were typically women who would talk about how it made them feel, or memories surrounding their use, or examples of clothing/quilts that the machine made. I laughed at this because, except for the Dorkroom, photo sites nitpick over focusing charts and the noise of the autofocus mechanism and never talk about the touchy feely stuff.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Heres a cool Nat Geo video where they used three cameras on a some crazy robotic rig with what looks like 6 pocket wizards all tethered to a laptop to take an insane panoramic of a 1500 year old tree.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/video/player#/?titleID=nichols-redwoods-gatefold&catID=1

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

While we're on the subject of magazines, Google just published copies of LIFE magazine from the 1930s through 1970 (I think) in their entirety, ads intact.

Here's a Photography issue from 1966. Bonus points for old ads :cool:

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Martytoof posted:

While we're on the subject of magazines, Google just published copies of LIFE magazine from the 1930s through 1970 (I think) in their entirety, ads intact.

This is great, only the other day i was trying to see if i could download past issues.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

:3: My pelican case came in, so I am bragging here. Now I am protected against all sort of weather issues, or if someone is trying to run over my camera. And it makes a great bludgeoning weapon in case someone is trying to mug me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's also a good tactical shield and flotation device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquallStrife
Jan 20, 2009

"The Goon" by Metanaut.
If you're going to charge $3000 to shoot a wedding, you should probably know how to work a camera:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/872387/couple-sues-over-disastrous-wedding-photos

quote:

The collection of photos taken by Gareth Bowers, of Fresh Images, showed people with their heads chopped off, random close-ups of vehicles and inattentive wedding guests, UK media report.

Not to mention a gamut of under/over exposed shots.

*facepalm*