Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
It reminds me of those photobooths that automatically filter and photoshop things into oblivion. By that i mean any subject comes out looking like an npc from the game oblivion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's just a modern gimmick aesthetic and people always flock to and overuse anything that creates some separation from the previous generation.

In ten years they'll regret the decision and those photos will disappear from display.

Well technically in ten minutes they'll disappear because that's how the internet works, but a new selfie with the exact same processing will replace it.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

elgarbo posted:

It is a thing because people like poo poo photography.

Uptime Sinclair posted:

It reminds me of those photobooths that automatically filter and photoshop things into oblivion. By that i mean any subject comes out looking like an npc from the game oblivion

xzzy posted:

It's just a modern gimmick aesthetic and people always flock to and overuse anything that creates some separation from the previous generation.

In ten years they'll regret the decision and those photos will disappear from display.

Well technically in ten minutes they'll disappear because that's how the internet works, but a new selfie with the exact same processing will replace it.

The bit I'm amused by is that crazy things like that really cranked up HDR/tone mapping fad from a few years ago or badly applied CG make sense to me to why people did them. But this one has eluded me for a while now. The funny thing is one of the photographers I used as an example here has used this style for YEARS. Since they're relatively local I'd love to ask them how they developed that style. And not to ask it in a 'this sucks' sort of way; it would be to get some insight into their creative philosophy. While I may not agree with the style maybe understanding what got them there will help me learn something.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Just run it thru instagram and choose the filter of choice. Thats the creative process here.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

xzzy posted:

Suckers. I regret my photographs immediately.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Lifted black points and mild desaturation is supposed to look generically vintage like a faded print, I think

Its poo poo

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

elgarbo posted:

It is a thing because people like poo poo photography.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it's related to photography, I swear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cep6eECGtw4

stick with it :science: :2bong:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
RIP Flickr. They sent pro users a plee for more money.

quote:

Dear Flickr Pros,
First, and above all else: thank you. Thank you for being a part of our community. Thank you for caring about Flickr. Thank you for supporting Flickr. Thank you for being a Flickr Pro.

Two years ago, Flickr was losing tens of millions of dollars a year. Our company, SmugMug, stepped in to rescue it from being shut down and to save tens of billions of your precious photos from being erased.

Why? We’ve spent 17 years lovingly building our company into a thriving, family-owned and -operated business that cares deeply about photographers. SmugMug has always been the place for photographers to showcase their photography, and we’ve long admired how Flickr has been the community where they connect with each other. We couldn’t stand by and watch Flickr vanish.

So we took a big risk, stepped in, and saved Flickr. Together, we created the world’s largest photographer-focused community: a place where photographers can stand out and fit in.

And yet, Flickr—the world’s most-beloved, money-losing business—still needs your help.

We’ve been hard at work improving Flickr. We hired an excellent, large staff of Support Heroes who now deliver support with an average customer satisfaction rating of above 90%. We got rid of Yahoo’s login. We moved the platform and every photo to Amazon Web Services (AWS), the industry leader in cloud computing, and modernized its technology along the way. As a result, pages are already 20% faster and photos load 30% more quickly. Platform outages, including Pandas, are way down. Flickr continues to get faster and more stable, and important new features are being built once again.

Our work is never done, but we’ve made tremendous progress.

Flickr still needs your help. It’s still losing money. You, and hundreds of thousands of loyal Flickr members stepped up and joined Flickr Pro, for which we are eternally grateful. It’s losing a lot less money than it was. But it’s not yet making enough.

We need more Flickr Pro members if we want to keep the Flickr dream alive, and we need your help to share the story of Flickr.

We didn’t buy Flickr because we thought it was a cash cow. Unlike platforms like Facebook, we also didn’t buy it to invade your privacy and sell your data. We bought it because we love photographers, we love photography, and we believe Flickr deserves not only to live on but thrive. We think the world agrees; and we think the Flickr community does, too. But we cannot continue to operate it at a loss as we’ve been doing.

Flickr is the world’s largest photographer-focused community. It’s the world’s best way to find great photography and connect with amazing photographers. Flickr hosts some of the world’s most iconic, most priceless photos, freely available to the entire world. This community is home to more than 100 million accounts and tens of billions of photos. It serves billions of photos every single day. It’s huge. It’s a priceless treasure for the whole world. And it costs money to operate. Lots of money.

As you know, Flickr is the best value in photo sharing anywhere in the world. Flickr Pro members get ad-free browsing for themselves and their visitors, advanced stats, unlimited full-quality storage for all their photos, plus premium features and access to the world’s largest photographer-focused community.

Please, help us spread the word. Help us make Flickr thrive. Help us ensure Flickr has a bright future. Every Flickr Pro subscription goes directly to keeping Flickr alive and creating great new experiences for photographers like you. We are building lots of great things for the Flickr community, but we need your help. We can do this together.

We’re launching our end-of-year Pro subscription campaign on Thursday, December 26, but I want to give you a coupon code to share with friends, family, or anyone who shares your love of photography and community so they can enjoy the same 25% discount before the campaign starts.

We’ve gone to great lengths to optimize Flickr for cost savings wherever possible, but the increasing cost of operating this enormous community and continuing to invest in its future will require a small price increase early in the new year, so this is truly the very best time to help everyone upgrade to a Pro membership.

If you value Flickr finally being independent, built for photographers and by photographers, we need your help.

With gratitude,

Don MacAskill
Co-Founder, CEO & Chief Geek
SmugMug + Flickr

Please share coupon code 25in2019 or link below to give the gift of 25% off Flickr Pro now.

https://www.flickr.com/account/upgrade/pro?coupon=25in2019

Enjoy 25% off Pro until they shut down in a few months, I guess.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The CEO has been on reddit assuring people they aren't gonna shut down

quote:

I'm sorry if the email smacked of doom, that certainly wasn't my intent. Flickr is not in danger of dying, but if it can't become self-sustainable, we'll have to try some other things. We think the community just didn't realize what we're trying to do, so I thought we should tell them. That's all.

We've only owned Flickr for ~18 months, and we spent most of that time moving the entire thing (while it stayed online!) to AWS, as well as building the most important customer-requested features (ditching Yahoo login, improving performance and stability, making Flickr Pro better, adding higher resolution photos, etc). We have lots more we're building, but we need both time and money to do so, hence the letter.

I hope you'll help.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The owner of smugmug had always been extremely open, compared to other ceos at least. It's actually cool they sent that letter out.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Jesus, I'm really, really struggling with my photography lately. I seem to hate almost every image I take. I get some nice snaps of the kids, but anything that I try and put more effort into ends up looking like bland, boring junk to me.

:qq:/:negative:

fake edit: I should probably start posting in the critique thread to get some external feedback.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm in the same spot, but attribute it to spending a lot more time studying other people's work who are good at the craft and then judging my own stuff to that standard.

I assume it'll eventually translate into a good result but 2019 was a steaming wet fart.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I did a paid gig earlier this year that I'm honestly pretty happy with (I think I've mentioned it ITT), but when it comes to developing ~*my own voice*~:

xzzy posted:

2019 was a steaming wet fart.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

The owner of smugmug had always been extremely open, compared to other ceos at least. It's actually cool they sent that letter out.

Yeah, I got that email last night. I knew about the Yahoo login removal (THANK GOD) but didn't know about the move to AWS or beefing up the support staff. Kinda wonder what the costs were on those last two. I did appreciate the candor though.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Remember how I asked people in here to give us some photo critique? We finally published our findings. I will warn you it's a long read.

https://www.makethemawesome.com/home/2019/12/20/the-great-photo-critique-experiment

If any of you decide to go look at the actual feedback data you might be amused by some of the commentary in there. :)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ReverendHammer posted:

Remember how I asked people in here to give us some photo critique? We finally published our findings. I will warn you it's a long read.

https://www.makethemawesome.com/home/2019/12/20/the-great-photo-critique-experiment

If any of you decide to go look at the actual feedback data you might be amused by some of the commentary in there. :)

Some non-photo related critique: I found this hard to navigate because your section headings and your links are treated the same. I also found the fixed header to be pretty distracting while reading.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

Some non-photo related critique: I found this hard to navigate because your section headings and your links are treated the same. I also found the fixed header to be pretty distracting while reading.

Yeah, I do wish there was a better way to handle the page navigation/viewing for something like this. Like the template we use is fine for our shorter articles/photo sets. Just not here. Might have been a way to solve for that with some creative coding. But with how long this project has gone on (we started working on it back in early September) and we just now got it finished we wanted to get it out there. I can add something to the next page links at the bottom to hopefully make things a bit more obvious though.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

President Beep posted:

Jesus, I'm really, really struggling with my photography lately. I seem to hate almost every image I take. I get some nice snaps of the kids, but anything that I try and put more effort into ends up looking like bland, boring junk to me.

:qq:/:negative:

fake edit: I should probably start posting in the critique thread to get some external feedback.

it's okay to let your hobby ebb and flow, don't let a period where you're not producing enough get you down. inspiration comes and goes, sometimes you just aren't feeling it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

it's okay to let your hobby ebb and flow, don't let a period where you're not producing enough get you down. inspiration comes and goes, sometimes you just aren't feeling it.

These are good thoughts to keep in kind, especially since it is a hobby to me. If I was trying to make a living off this, then it’d be worth fretting over, but if I’m doing it for fun, then why get all bent out of shape? Thanks for the perspective. 👍

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

So it turns out we will be doing our light painting demo at a local con this weekend. One that has a bigger attendance than the first time we did it. Plus we have our original suggested runtime (90 minutes). At least this way we can show off more ideas.

Now to hope that people show up.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I was just looking through some posts in here. If Flickr goes away, my entire collection of photos I've marked as favorites will be gone. gently caress. gently caress me. What next?

goonr? gookr? ugh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Posted this in the General Q thread because I forgot that there is indeed a General Chat thread, might be useful to those who don’t read there. It’s probably not new news, but could save you some $.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just because we don’t really have a general discussion thread, I read on one of the Facebook groups people were getting good results from ‘cancelling’ their adobe subscriptions today. Seems the best deal is if you pay yearly, but I pay for the $9.99 photography pack for Lightroom/Photoshop and going through the process it gave me 60 days for free, so worthwhile enough for a minutes work. Others saw $hundreds saved.

Just log into your adobe.com account, go to your package and click the cancel link. I had to click 2 or 3 ‘continues’ (the last one kinda read like it was the final decision) then it puts up a page of offers for you with the top one being the best.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Thanks for that, just saved 20 bux (60 days free)

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

ReverendHammer posted:

So it turns out we will be doing our light painting demo at a local con this weekend. One that has a bigger attendance than the first time we did it. Plus we have our original suggested runtime (90 minutes). At least this way we can show off more ideas.

Now to hope that people show up.

Forgot to report back on this one. We did have a much better turn out this time around. We ended up with a really rushed setup and some technical issues at the beginning. But having conversations with the audience while we were going through that helped smooth things over. And then once we go rolling people really got into it. Everyone had fun being a part of things... especially when we had a bunch of people throw glow sticks around. What got me were the questions people were asking. They understood the starting points we wanted to present and were already thinking things through on how to make them better. That REALLY surprised me.

And it turns out we'll be presenting this demo and another one at a con next month. Really looking forward to seeing where these things get us.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I... er... what?

https://twitter.com/BrianHolmPhoto/status/1215851176798965764

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

This is one of those photos where you can immediately recognize the photographers style. This has Ansel Autisms written all over it.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

torgeaux posted:

This is one of those photos where you can immediately recognize the photographers style. This has Ansel Autisms written all over it.

Where was the mural?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Someone remapped their “undo” to “redo harder”

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

torgeaux posted:

Thank you

GunForumMeme posted:

Where was the mural?

obviously it is a mural :smugdog:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

What is that man doing to his intervalometer?!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Be sure to check out my next post wherein I make an all your base reference!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I kinda wanted a similar app as I did a ton of photos while on a boat so it needs similar treatment, but oh no

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

How did I know that Fuji would say something?

https://twitter.com/FujifilmX_US/status/1217256224271618049

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol at anyone paying attention to anything that comes from fstoppers, the site that managed to be an even shittier source of photography information than petapixel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xzzy posted:

lol at anyone paying attention to anything that comes from fstoppers, the site that managed to be an even shittier source of photography information than petapixel.

Remember when they fat shamed someone in a comments section then when called out on it they put out a video saying “it totally wasn’t us, because we would’ve said something funnier” rather than apologize.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yeah... most of their stuff is poo poo. Though the video series they did about their time working at Ritz Camera was pretty amusing.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ReverendHammer posted:

Yeah... most of their stuff is poo poo. Though the video series they did about their time working at Ritz Camera was pretty amusing.

That video series was better than a random year's worth of other content from both sites combined.
( This is a low bar to cross, I know, but it deserves recognition. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fstoppers is the worst clickbait site in the photography internet and that is loving saying something