Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Just went through a whole bunch of photos from some horse show thing that happened right outside my window. Turns out every single one was out of focus, even the ones that were taken (relatively) close. Which is...annoying...to say the least. I'm fairly positive this is the handy work of my 18-55 kit lens, but goddamn it. I've got a photo-day planned soon, too. Maybe if my buddy decides he doesn't want to go I can borrow his lenses.

Would adjusting the diopter on the viewfinder matter (I use glasses for reading, etc.)? I mean if I spend the rest of my evening tweaking the viewfinder, is that gonna change anything in the mechanics of how the camera auto focuses then goes "bleep" when everything is in focus? Or is that only there to help people with glasses not apply their diopter to their manual focusing? I'm guessing its the latter.

Glad Christmas is coming up soon, get to wish for a new, less crappy lens. (Maybe buy one as a gift to me, from me or something :neckbeard: )

Quasi-rant over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

forkbucket posted:

Just went through a whole bunch of photos from some horse show thing that happened right outside my window. Turns out every single one was out of focus, even the ones that were taken (relatively) close. Which is...annoying...to say the least. I'm fairly positive this is the handy work of my 18-55 kit lens, but goddamn it. I've got a photo-day planned soon, too. Maybe if my buddy decides he doesn't want to go I can borrow his lenses.

Would adjusting the diopter on the viewfinder matter (I use glasses for reading, etc.)? I mean if I spend the rest of my evening tweaking the viewfinder, is that gonna change anything in the mechanics of how the camera auto focuses then goes "bleep" when everything is in focus? Or is that only there to help people with glasses not apply their diopter to their manual focusing? I'm guessing its the latter.

Glad Christmas is coming up soon, get to wish for a new, less crappy lens. (Maybe buy one as a gift to me, from me or something :neckbeard: )

Quasi-rant over.

Look thru viewfinder. Let camera autofocus. Does the subject appear in focus to you? If not, you can adjust the diopter so it does appear in focus to you. This permits accurate manual focus. It has no impact on how the camera autofocuses.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Yea, that's pretty much what I thought. drat tiny LCD screen keeps lying to me :argh:

...or I'm just out of practice, need to get out & shoot more.

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
I just came across a great website for picking up old film camera supplies and darkroom equipment. https://www.publicsurplus.com Most of the items are pickup only but you might just get lucky. For $5 I wish I was close enough to bid on this SX-70.

Edit:
Also Fire trucks if anyone is interested.

Tigertron fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 17, 2009

Knux
May 18, 2003

ask me about my cock ring
Crosspost from GBS Tattoo thread, but I figured it'd also be appreciated here.

My tattoo artist showed me a video of a guy getting a piece done that was shot in stop-motion to make it look like the tattoo was doing itself. He said he'd be down to make something similar so I came into the appointment with my boom stand, AB1600, and softbox.

This is what was created. You guys should also get a kick out of the subject matter of the actual sleeve.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
thats dorkroom commitment 4 lyfe

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Knux posted:

This is what was created. You guys should also get a kick out of the subject matter of the actual sleeve.

No loving way, that is too awesome.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Put this on your back.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I am thinking about going to the local, and great, tattoo parlour to see if someone would let me do this. That's an awesome video. I dugg it, too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Interview with Arnold Newman

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Knux posted:

That is loving awesome.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Knux posted:

I'm not into the body art thing, but that's a great video.

Defecting to Nine
Sep 16, 2008

Interrupting Moss posted:

Put this on your back.

There's this older guy in NYC who goes around to all the parades and such with one of those. Shoots handheld. loving insane.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Defecting to Nine posted:

There's this older guy in NYC who goes around to all the parades and such with one of those. Shoots handheld. loving insane.

Does he have a beard?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Knux posted:

Heyooo, Gizmodo picked this up:

http://gizmodo.com/5386603/camera-tattood-in-time-lapse-by-another-camera

Defecting to Nine
Sep 16, 2008

Fists Up posted:

Does he have a beard?

Yeah..?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Knux posted:

You guys should also get a kick out of the subject matter of the actual sleeve.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

That is a really great tat, and I guess that's another thing film cameras are great for. Having a D3 and 1DmkIII on your arm with a CF card in between them just wouldn't have had the same impact.

Knux
May 18, 2003

squidflakes posted:

Having a D3 and 1DmkIII on your arm with a CF card in between them just wouldn't have had the same impact.

Most likely gonna throw my 5dmkii on right at the top, and by that time the film strips will be turning pixelated. Still toying with the idea.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
IS THE ONION A GOON?? :w00t:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/17_year_old_thinks_shes

quote:

17-Year-Old Thinks She's Getting Into Photography

June 8, 2009 | Issue 45•24

EUGENE, OR—After wasting an afternoon taking pictures of a broken tricycle, moss on trees, and the shadow of a wrought-iron fence, Churchill Alternative High School senior Jessica Ivers falsely informed family and friends Saturday that she was getting into photography. "I love the way real film looks," said Ivers, who has owned the old single-lens reflex 35 millimeter camera for exactly one week, and named as her favorite photographers "probably Diane Arbus" and the French guy who took the picture of the boy with the wine bottle. "I'm really fascinated by textures, and I think I'll be able to get some good shots of my grandma's hands this weekend." Sources close to Ivers expect the camera to join her clarinet and yoga mat under her bed once she pays $14.85 to develop the roll of clumsy, overexposed images.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
FACT: all girls go through a photography stage. It's usually right after horses.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I think i clipped that out and stuck it on someones fridge when i saw it haha

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

brad industry posted:

FACT: all girls go through a photography stage. It's usually right after horses.

And right before Boone's.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I laughed at that article a little harder than I should have.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

brad industry posted:

An alarming amount (of boys and girls) also go through a writer and artist phase. If you're lucky, it's not anime slash :cry:

edit: I am so sick of seeing of "artistic" saturation blown-out etc etc pictures on my facebook feed. At least most of them are getting over this now, I don't see nearly as many "omg I just got an awesome new camera!!" (read as: 99% canon Xsi for some reason)

nonanone fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 22, 2009

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

That is far too funny

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Knux posted:

Most likely gonna throw my 5dmkii on right at the top, and by that time the film strips will be turning pixelated. Still toying with the idea.

Oh well poo poo, that would be great. Maybe pixels fading to 1s and 0s?

Are you going to do another stop motion for that one as well?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Giant cardboard TLR build time-lapse video

(from RFF)

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Giant cardboard TLR build time-lapse video

(from RFF)

A big TLR cabinet would be a good [and nerdy] place to keep photography stuff.

Knux
May 18, 2003

squidflakes posted:

Are you going to do another stop motion for that one as well?

Since the reaction has been so crazy I think i'm gonna do my whole arm this way

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Have you guys seen those Trauma ads? I saw all three next to each other for the first time today, Great concept and well done once you stop wondering if that's that guy from sliders

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

A lot of NBC's bumpers are done in that style this season. I noticed as well, very well done. They don't seem to be reflected in their shows' ratings so far, though.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Ive got fridge magnets from a Glee photoshoot that I found in a Superclips. I think they are pretty awesome http://www.flickr.com/photos/heatherannehogan/3932682780/

The behind the scenes video is up on hulu. Can anyone tell if he using a handheld hasselblad? http://www.hulu.com/watch/72049/glee-photo-shoot#s-p7-sr-i1

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

He sure is.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
It's an H2 or H3.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Extremely rare Nikon lens for sale up on eBay right now:

Close-up photo

. . . .

According to douchebag Ken Rockwell, only 350 were made back in the 1970's and very rarely do they show up in the used market. Bids for this auction start $17,633.

Ken Rockwell posted:

The Nikon 13mm is the world's widest non-distorting professional SLR lens ever made, by anyone, in any format.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/13mm.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/nikkor/n09_e.htm

...I'm not sure I would want it though. Seem almost like a liability because of its rarity and price tag.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
This is the only rectilinear lens capable of getting a full rainbow in frame, making it an essential part of any Nikon owners bag. It will work on any Nikon camera ever but it will not work on Canon cameras. Click here to buy a Nikon Camera such as the D40 (my favorite camera due to it's small size). Please. I have children to feed and I am completely unqualified to do anything but post to my horrible affiliate marketing website.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Yeah, which is why you take what he says with a grain of salt. But it's still a rare and unique lens. If I only had 17,633 disposable dollars I would probably waste my money on it.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Mannequin posted:

...I'm not sure I would want it though. Seem almost like a liability because of its rarity and price tag.

I gotta agree with you. It looks like the bubble sits further out than the sides of the lens hood. Can you imagine scratching that beast? "oops"
Still though, 13mm at 35mm, that's amazing, you'd need something like an 8mm lens on a crop body to get the same FOV. Wow, I just looked at the ken rockwell photo, his photo shows the size of the thing better. It's HUGE.

"Big, long, telephoto lenses are not great, even though they impress beginners.

Every camera maker: Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax, Zeiss, Leica, the Russians and more, all make big telephotos. So what? Photography is about getting close. Long lenses are for photographers who lack the skills to get close."
:colbert:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

snowman posted:

"Big, long, telephoto lenses are not great, even though they impress beginners.

Every camera maker: Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax, Zeiss, Leica, the Russians and more, all make big telephotos. So what? Photography is about getting close. Long lenses are for photographers who lack the skills to get close."
:colbert:
He has another page somewhere that explains why nobody needs wide angle lenses. When you're Ken Rockwell, everything around you just moves into your view, regardless of the lens you're using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mannequin posted:

Extremely rare Nikon lens for sale up on eBay right now:

Close-up photo

. . . .

According to douchebag Ken Rockwell, only 350 were made back in the 1970's and very rarely do they show up in the used market. Bids for this auction start $17,633.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/13mm.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/nikkor/n09_e.htm

lmbo a Sigma 12-24 is more flexible, less cumbersome, faster, wider, cheaper by several orders of magnitude, has autofocus, and is still rectilinear.

Ken :negative: