Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

lmbo a Sigma 12-24 is more flexible, less cumbersome, faster, wider, cheaper by several orders of magnitude, has autofocus, and is still rectilinear.

Ken :negative:

quote:

Recommendations

While not professional grade, Sigma makes a 12-24mm zoom that's worth a look. It covers FX. I've tried this 12-24mm now and then, and if you get a good sample, it works very well and does about the same thing as the Nikon 13mm.
Pompous :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
:negative:
:negative::negative:
:negative:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

While not as cool as getting a tattoo video picked up by Gizmodo, the consumerist chose my photo as the top in it's Friday Flickr Finds!. I enjoyed a 500 hit spike on that photo and a bunch of discussion on it. It feels pretty good.

photo:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

This exact same thing happened to me last weekend. She also doesn't understand how anyone makes money from photography and doesn't do weddings.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I know it's only a little thing, but I'm always happy after posting a gallery of social photos from an event on facebook and getting a shitload of "******* has set your photo as their profile picture" updates. :3:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

psylent posted:

I know it's only a little thing, but I'm always happy after posting a gallery of social photos from an event on facebook and getting a shitload of "******* has set your photo as their profile picture" updates. :3:
This is a good feeling, agreedo :)

FB does tend to murder photo quality with some brutal jpegging, I guess with so many million pics they need to save on storage. "Photographers" who post their work on FB and nowhere else make me wince, though :P

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I wiped my facebook account a couple of years back, but a few days ago a friend logged in next to me to show me his latest horizontal conquest. About half the people I knew were using photos I shot as profile pics, it was a pretty :shobon:-moment.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Whenever I'm at a friend's house and I find one of my pictures looking me in the face, I too get a bit :shobon:.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This is a good feeling, agreedo :)

FB does tend to murder photo quality with some brutal jpegging, I guess with so many million pics they need to save on storage.
Resize! Compress! OVERSHARPEN!

Facebook: Sharp photos are good, sharpening is good; therefore, slamming Sharpen up to 11 must be GREAT

pwn fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 29, 2009

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

pwn posted:

Whenever I'm at a friend's house and I find one of my pictures looking me in the face, I too get a bit :shobon:.
Resize! Compress! OVERSHARPEN!

Facebook: Sharp photos are good, sharpening is good; therefore, slamming Sharpen up to 11 must be GREAT

Oh hell, that goes for just about any effect with a slider.

Contrast is good. CONTRAST ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT IS BETAR!

Brightness is good. BRIGHTNESS AT 255 IS BATTER!

Color saturation/de-saturation is good. HALF MY PIKTUR IS PURPAL!!!ONEONEONE

And just to be a dick, Lionel Lum is terrible about that. He's got some P&S that he takes to anime and comic book conventions. Shoots the same 5 poses of scantily clad girls. Then moves the contrast slider to the far right. Ta da! Suddenly he's a professional photgrapher.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey, you just ragged on my entire workflow <:mad:>

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

squidflakes posted:

And just to be a dick, Lionel Lum is terrible about that. He's got some P&S that he takes to anime and comic book conventions. Shoots the same 5 poses of scantily clad girls. Then moves the contrast slider to the far right. Ta da! Suddenly he's a professional photgrapher.

You've pinpointed the entire reason for his success.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

DanTheFryingPan posted:

You've pinpointed the entire reason for his success.

Yeah. I know. drat his scaly hide!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqFA9Mvq5M
This is a great watch, be sure and view in HD / fullscreen... :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqFA9Mvq5M
This is a great watch, be sure and view in HD / fullscreen... :)

Thanks for that, that guy does amazing work. I actually saw some of my usual locations in his shots.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

How do you guys feel about cinematography? I think I could make some real bank being a director of photography :cheers:

And now I can't watch lovely movies because the framing is atrocious and I get get over how someone get paid buttloads of money for that poo poo.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

notlodar posted:

How do you guys feel about cinematography? I think I could make some real bank being a director of photography :cheers:

And now I can't watch lovely movies because the framing is atrocious and I get get over how someone get paid buttloads of money for that poo poo.

I love cinematography, I did that before I got into still photography. And yeah, there's a lot of really uninspired camera work in lots of movies, but hey, who am I to complain about it from my cubicle? :(

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I dunno, it sounds like you'd be the directors bitch. You'd scout out fantastic framing and shooting angles, and then he'd want bullet time and dolly zoom vertigo effects (which is awesome by the way) in every scene.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I would love to do the photography for a film. Film industry people know so much awesome lighting poo poo it's ridiculous. I constantly rip off lighting ideas from movies.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I think it would be really cool to be a director of photography. I assume you get to help the director achieve his vision. I like the idea of being the one with the technical knowledge of how to light any scene to make it look like a particular time of day or making it look like there is only candle light because its the 1800s.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Mannequin posted:

Extremely rare Nikon lens for sale up on eBay right now:

Close-up photo

. . . .

According to douchebag Ken Rockwell, only 350 were made back in the 1970's and very rarely do they show up in the used market. Bids for this auction start $17,633.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/13mm.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/nikkor/n09_e.htm

...I'm not sure I would want it though. Seem almost like a liability because of its rarity and price tag.

I see your rare and wonderful, and raise you a rarer and wackier 6mm Fisheye

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy mother of gently caress.

That lens curves space and takes photos of things five minutes into the future.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I've been doing TV work for years before getting into photography. Only very recently have I even started to grasp the basic notion of film cinematography, though, coming from a TV background. Everything I've ever shot is shot like a TV talk/music show, which is great for TV talk/music shows and not so great for everything else.

Leatherheads has some damned fantastic work as a straightforward picture, and The Fountain is a great example of creative lighting, very similar in function to that of Apocalypse Now's cinematography. I want to be a DP when I grow up.

But seriously, you talk about poaching ideas, The Fountain is crazy. I was watching some of the supplemental features yesterday morning, it's amazing the ways the DP dreamed up to tell this story. For that matter the documentaries on the disc are unlike 95% of the tripe on the typical DVD which is "it was so much fun shooting with actor" :suicide:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cyberbob posted:

I see your rare and wonderful, and raise you a rarer and wackier 6mm Fisheye

:eek: Two shots for a full 360 panorama stitch, I think I'm in love...

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

pwn posted:

I've been doing TV work for years before getting into photography. Only very recently have I even started to grasp the basic notion of film cinematography, though, coming from a TV background. Everything I've ever shot is shot like a TV talk/music show, which is great for TV talk/music shows and not so great for everything else.

Leatherheads has some damned fantastic work as a straightforward picture, and The Fountain is a great example of creative lighting, very similar in function to that of Apocalypse Now's cinematography. I want to be a DP when I grow up.

But seriously, you talk about poaching ideas, The Fountain is crazy. I was watching some of the supplemental features yesterday morning, it's amazing the ways the DP dreamed up to tell this story. For that matter the documentaries on the disc are unlike 95% of the tripe on the typical DVD which is "it was so much fun shooting with actor" :suicide:

I loved The Fountain as a film, I'll have to rewatch it for the cinematography.

One thing that I've got to add.. I've been rewatching Buffy and Angel recently, and I'm falling in love with their use of light, or should I say, dark. It seems like its a pitch black canvas in most scenes, and light's used sparingly to open up only certain parts of the shot.. I love it.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A Nikon penis

http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/photo/wide/fish/index.htm

- - -

Starting from next year I'll try to take one photo every single day. Yeah I know plenty of people do this but it'll be cool to start on 01 01 2010 :) It'll probably last 1 week before I find it too boring.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 6, 2009

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ringo R posted:

Starting from next year I'll try to take one photo every single day. Yeah I know plenty of people do this but it'll be cool to start on 01 01 2010 :) It'll probably last 1 week before I find it too boring.

I've always wanted to do this but I thought about cheating a bit. I know there are going to be some days where I won't have time to put the effort into composing a shot. Maybe instead of shooting every day, I could shoot say, 7 good shots on a single day and post one a day for a week. It'd still make for a good blog ( that's half the fun right?) and it'd still push me to shoot more.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I was doing that bu I hosed up when I failed to get shiny pennies from the bank....

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
For you Office fans... Ryan's Photoblog!

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Cyberbob posted:

I loved The Fountain as a film, I'll have to rewatch it for the cinematography.

One thing that I've got to add.. I've been rewatching Buffy and Angel recently, and I'm falling in love with their use of light, or should I say, dark. It seems like its a pitch black canvas in most scenes, and light's used sparingly to open up only certain parts of the shot.. I love it.

Along those same lines, Dollhouse has some of the most delicious cinematography and lighting I've seen come out of television in a long time. My roommate has been running through the entire series and I'll constantly forget what I'm doing and just stare at it 'cause it's so drat pretty.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I think Jericho has some really great cinematography. It hit me half way throughout the series, that everything has to look naturally lit, because there is no electrical power in the town. All of the indoor scenes are shot near windows and doorways and have gorgeous beams of sun light coming onto the actors.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Mad Men has really great photography, lots of dramatic mixed light sources.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
/\/\/\
That'd better not be a season ending spoiler! :argh:

That kite video was great. The showed one of the early kite photographs, "San Francisco in Ruins," in that video, and now I am convinced I need this hanging on my wall.

The Library of Congress will let me download the 158 MB tiff of it, though I might be more tempted to just order a print from them rather than trying to print it myself.

On a different note, I just saw this infuriating "Photographers Rights" video posted on a local blog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY2cCPW3H7g

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

That's not how you talk to cops, but yes, it's bullshit. You may enjoy this depressing thread, in other news.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I know this girl who bought like ten CF cards for a backpacking trip, and I thought I might buy some from her just because she can't possibly be using all of them as she's just a casual photographer and I'm frequently running out of space with my new camera. So, it'd be a win win situation.

She apparently backed up all her photos to the cards.

Then accused me of thinking my "photography" was more important than her backups (that I didn't know she did when I asked her about buying them)

:psyduck:

So, are these chinese sellers on ebay with cheap CF cards legit?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you really want to risk it? And I mean the card quality, not the sellers.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

CF cards aren't exactly pricey at reasonable sizes. No sane person would save money on the cheapies.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I was about to pull the trigger on some 8GB cards, but they suddenly jumped up by around 30% - I'll probably just go for two 4GB cards now.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

dear mac owners, your monitors are too bright. please calibrate or lower your brightness.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

marmot25 posted:

/\/\/\
That'd better not be a season ending spoiler! :argh:

That kite video was great. The showed one of the early kite photographs, "San Francisco in Ruins," in that video, and now I am convinced I need this hanging on my wall.

The Library of Congress will let me download the 158 MB tiff of it, though I might be more tempted to just order a print from them rather than trying to print it myself.

On a different note, I just saw this infuriating "Photographers Rights" video posted on a local blog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY2cCPW3H7g

Download the tiff and help out a goon by using that large format printing service someone's running on SA mart, it's quite cheap.http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3208476

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Interrupting Moss posted:

CF cards aren't exactly pricey at reasonable sizes. No sane person would save money on the cheapies.

To be fair, I have not heard problems with cheap off-brand CF cards (apart from obvious scam/counterfeit ones). I think the technology is mature enough that it's easy to make something reliable, even at a low cost.

That said, I do agree with you, why take the risk when it is important stuff like your photos.