Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
If you guys are interested, I'll see if I can snag a pile of the old 1950s-1980s ads and promo material and scan 'em before she ends up throwing them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

I had a weird surprise during the last First Friday Art Walk... I ran across a piece that was very, very close to a picture I'd taken myself, hanging in one of the local galleries.Turned out to be from a guy I talk to on Flickr, he'd asked for the directions to find this and he's ended up going to most of the urbex places I've done a few months later.

Think. by epomorski, on Flickr

His version was quite a bit better, but man, it was really weird to see it.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 10, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

tarepanda posted:

That was fascinating -- too bad he didn't upload the picture mentioned in the summary of all of the troops lined up.

It reminds me of that collection of pictures from the early 1900s that were taken with some rare, prototype color camera in Russia. I can't find it now...

Edit: Found it: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

I love Gorskii. Tricolor separations are so gorgeous and jarring, they really screw with your perception of time. Though they don't look anywhere near as crisp, the color autochromes from World War One are also quite fascinating...

http://www.worldwaronecolorphotos.com/

More non-warfare autochromes from the Eastman House collection:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/george_eastman_house/sets/72157606226772243/

Dancer wearing Egyptian-look costume with wings reaching to the floor by George Eastman House, on Flickr

ca. 1915

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Dread Head posted:

To hard to practice using a real camera, why not use a simulator! http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator.html

Hey, that's actually pretty damned useful. I had a hell of a time trying to get some of my students to understand those concepts in a stop-motion class, that looks like a really easy way to demonstrate some of those things quickly.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Just think of it as an idiot tax.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Strategy posted:

Saw this on craigslist this morning. I don't even know.

FOR SALE...I have a Sony EOS Rebel XTi digital camera for sale. This camera is in EXCELLENT condition. It comes with 3 lenes the 50mm, the 52mm and the 62mm. It also has shadow covers, chargers, a tripod, a back with compartments to carry everything, a photo filter, extra batteries, cords to hook it into the TV, and a 1 GB scan disk card. This is an awesome camera and easy to use. Willing to negotiate price.

Price: $1000

Are they listing the filter ring sizes by accident? What the hell. Somehow I'm betting it was stolen if they're that clueless.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

50D: ORDERED. It gets here wednesday. Is there a drug I can do that will make it wednesday NOW ?

GHB, maybe Datura

(don't)

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I put a self portrait up once and some guy who didn't leave a comment added it to his favorites so I checked out his other favorites and it was like 250 pages worth, full of bald guys and young guys "forcefully" getting their head shaved.

Hair rape. Weird as hell.

Not flickr, but I had a weird advertising internship a couple years ago that involved lots of Youtube searching. Boss wanted me to find cute or happy homemade videos of people driving. Most of the results ended up being teenagers showing off their first cars or singing in the car, and I noticed the same guy commenting on a bunch of videos: "great to see you girls all buckled up! :) wanna chat sometime?" Saw him again and again, always posting on videos of 15-16 year old girls in cars. Checked his profile and found that he was close to 40 and his favorites list contained hundreds of underaged girls with seatbelts on, and occasionally a bondage-related video here and there.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

We had a visiting artist come out to give some guest lectures and critiques at my art college back in 2006 or so. He was a photographer/videographer, an art professor, and a touring VJ. He'd come out to chat with our video art class about VJ stuff and video performances.

He had fairly dark-olive complexion and a vaguely middle-Eastern sounding name. Might have been Turkish-American? Not really sure now. Anyways, at some point between 2001-2006, he'd wanted to get some stock footage of industrial scenes for his VJ work, so he drove around industrial areas filming the smokestacks and girders and whatnot.

While stopped on a public road, a security jeep drove past, gave him a weird look, then drove off. He didn't think much of it until about fifteen minutes later when he was swarmed by fuckin' black Suburbans. Dudes in body armor, M16s/MP5s drawn and pointed at him, so much yelling. He was detained and they interrogated him for several hours.

Even after months of paperwork and legal issues proving that he really does have a steady job teaching at an American art school and that he really does have a side-career as a VJ, he was STILL put on watch lists and the No Fly List. It really screwed things up for his touring career, he had to notify the government anytime he wanted to travel and get permission in advance.

Haggins posted:

Now if I were doing something illegal, like trespassing, then the rules change. Haven't had that happen.

I've done a lot of urbex stuff and I'm still worried about that, but one of my buddies got caught by police in the middle of a derelict factory last year. Cops said they got a call and just wanted to see what he was doing, they asked to look at his preview screen, complimented his shots and then just asked him to pack up and leave. They took his license number but nothing else happened.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 22, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

You live a very strange and fantastic life, Helmacron. Please write a book about photography.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Speaking of resizing, I'm a lab tech at my old college, been helping the MFA program for awhile and they keep getting encouraged to print larger. Larger! LARGER! "Hey, can you help me blow this up? It's a 10mp file but my professor wants to see it at 44x66." Surprisingly enough, with the right trickery and decent paper, it doesn't look terrible. Viewed from a few feet away, it looks pretty reasonable.

The student was intentionally shooting at max ISO in daylight too... :psyduck:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

I worry that I've become "that guy." I was out taking pictures in Ogunquit the other night and realized at some point that I was carrying FIVE cameras on me.

What is my problem - and how can I spin it into a positive for this dumb artist statement I'm procrastinating on writing?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

What are they all for?

Well, in that case, it was like this:

K1000 hanging from my neck with 105mm and 300mm lenses and decent B&W film
Minolta AF2 also hanging from my neck with color film for snapshots and wide angles
120-format Box Brownie under an arm
Bolsey B rangefinder in a coat pocket with grainy old industrial film
Vivitar PN2011 windup in the pants pocket to test out some ancient and unidentified Eastman Safety Film from the fifties

So I used all of them, but it looked pretty goofy.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Anti_Social posted:

I used a Canon 300mm f2f.8 with an extender on a battery gripped body and I felt like Lou Ferrigno while shooting - but you are a crazy man.

My cheap ol' screwmount telephotos probably weigh a lot less than that Canon lens, but the length alone is pretty annoying to carry.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Ahahahahaha

:suicide:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

Helmacron is the best poster. :colbert:

There should be an annual Helmacron-endorsed photo walk.
Bring Your Own :catdrugs:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

the posted:

Is there a thread for really, really old cameras? If not, could someone make one?

I could probably toss one together sometime soon. It's not like I have a shameful addiction to old cameras or anything...

:colbert:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Prathm posted:

Who needs money when you can have cameras instead, right?

Most of those cameras were less than twenty bucks, a bunch were free or were earned by volunteering at a photo store that was going out of business. Kinda funny to look up the original prices and adjust for inflation though, that pile would have run around $10,000-15,000 if they were all purchased new.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

Do you think its possible to send just a disposable camera through the mail, no box or anything?

I've got a whole bunch of these things that I picked up for 99 cents, for awhile now I've thought about starting a thread about one. Send it around to a bunch of dorkroomers with a roll of film in it, have them take a shot or two, mail to the next person in line, then post the scanned roll when it gets back to me.

I should probably stop being lazy and start that already.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Revolucion posted:

I went to an auction today to buy furniture for my new house, instead of grabbing anything i needed i came home with a unicorn collectors plate and a box of cameras for $120 dollars.

In the box was:

Polaroid SX-70 in case
Vest Pocket Autographic Kodak in case
Polariod EE66 in case
Voigtlander Vito II in case
Voigtlander Vito C in case
BALDA BALDESSA 1 in case
KODAK BROWNIE SIX-20
Finetta III D in case and yellow filter
Zenit Em with helios-44m lens in case
Agfa Karat 36

So much playing around to do! (read: i have no flipping idea what any of it is)

If they're in working shape, you could probably flip the SX-70 for most of that cost (or keep it cause they're awesome looking). The Vitos are pretty rad and the one Karat 36 I tested once seemed like it had a nice lens with a great feel to it. I love my Zenit with that same lens, it's sharp as hell. The Vest Pocket Kodak and the Brownie Six can probably both have 120-format film adapted to them if you feel like fooling around with nailclippers, quarters, and/or tape.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

It's always fun to read the local craigslist jobs board for photo jobs. Usually ends up being infuriating.

quote:

*******, a stock photography agency, is looking for a part time production assistant to help with basic workflow tasks related to the review and processing of digital images for the purpose of publishing to a stock photography website for licensing / sale.

Tasks include (but may not be limited to):
- reviewing and revising IPTC metadata to meet set standards and formats (caption, and keyword information)
- evaluating technical quality of digital photographs to ensure they meet set quality, format and size requirements
- verifying the status of model and property releases as well as the accurate and complete submission of required release related information
- evaluating images for logos, brand names, and other rights protected items and removing or retouching those items using Photoshop CS5

(^^^ what the gently caress? ^^^)

Requirements
-Education: Photography, or other Digital Arts Degree a plus, but not required.
- Mac Proficient
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop (CS4 and 5 preferably), including working knowledge of retouching tools and techniques
- Experience with photo processing software such as Lightroom, Bridge, or Photomechanic (Photomechanic preferred but but not required), specifically in the capacity of entering and editing IPTC metadata.

Compensation: $8/hr

I took a training session at a local photo studio awhile ago too, a retouching/post-processing position... wasn't until the end of the hiring process that they said they were paying eight dollars an hour for someone to do pretty much all their post work.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Well that was surprising. Just went through security at Logan airport, had my camera bag as carryon with a dSLR, SLR, cable releases, a bunch of lenses and a mess of film canisters, some of them funky old metal handrolled ones... no questions asked. No bag check.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

It's kinda funny to see the constant flashes going off in the stands during the wide shots of Super Bowl coverage. Closeup crowd shots show some of those flashes coming from dudes with big ol' serious setups and long telephotos mounted. Are they even capable of illuminating anything at that sort of range?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Buceph posted:

...Here was people who didn't know which end of lens to attach to a body and they were talking about going pro after a four month, one night-class a week photography course. Never mind that they were basically saying to the instructor, "You may have spent 20 years developing your skills, but I'm going to replace you in six months time."

This is part of why I enjoy teaching the 10-17 age group a lot more than teaching adult ed classes. There's usually one or two cool people in the adult ed classes, but the rest are there either because their job is paying for it or they expect to start making dolla billz immediately. The kids' classes are a hoot, they're thrilled just to be making pictures and they make really fun work because of it. Also they totally dig using the heap of 1920's grampacams I bring in for them to play with, p. sure the adult classes wouldn't usually be down with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

http://mattrichardson.com/Descriptive-Camera/

quote:

created by Matt Richardson
The Descriptive Camera works a lot like a regular camera—point it at subject and press the shutter button to capture the scene. However, instead of producing an image, this prototype outputs a text description of the scene. Modern digital cameras capture gobs of parsable metadata about photos such as the camera's settings, the location of the photo, the date, and time, but they don't output any information about the content of the photo. The Descriptive Camera only outputs the metadata about the content...

The technology at the core of the Descriptive Camera is Amazon's Mechanical Turk API. It allows a developer to submit Human Intelligence Tasks (HITs) for workers on the internet to complete. The developer sets the guidelines for each task and designs the interface for the worker to submit their results. The developer also sets the price they're willing to pay for the successful completion of each task...

After the shutter button is pressed, the photo is sent to Mechanical Turk for processing and the camera waits for the results. A yellow LED indicates that the results are still "developing" in a nod to film-based photo technology. With a HIT price of $1.25, results are returned typically within 6 minutes and sometimes as fast as 3 minutes. The thermal printer outputs the resulting text in the style of a polaroid print.

code:
-----------------------------------
| |                             | |
| |    Looks like a cupboard    | |
| |    which is ugly and old    | |
| |  having name plates on it   | |
| |      with a study lamp      | |
| |       attached to it.       | |
| ------------------------------- |