Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Cyberbob posted:

I loved The Fountain as a film, I'll have to rewatch it for the cinematography.

One thing that I've got to add.. I've been rewatching Buffy and Angel recently, and I'm falling in love with their use of light, or should I say, dark. It seems like its a pitch black canvas in most scenes, and light's used sparingly to open up only certain parts of the shot.. I love it.

Along those same lines, Dollhouse has some of the most delicious cinematography and lighting I've seen come out of television in a long time. My roommate has been running through the entire series and I'll constantly forget what I'm doing and just stare at it 'cause it's so drat pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

notlodar posted:

I probably could, but I'm sorta kinda involved with someone at the moment, so it would be wrong. She also lives in another country :psyduck:

That's known as 'an Ace in the hole'

You see.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
"This was frame 39 on a 36-exposure roll of film. Digital doesn't even go to frame 39 or even the 37th frame; when you fill your card or your buffer, you're bonked. Worse, with digital, you pay for a 4GB card, but it only holds 3.8GB. What's up with that?"

:psyboom: Reading his newer posts is morbidly fascinating; It's like staring into the abyss.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

Mannequin posted:

Too many fags fagging this thread up, it's pretty annoying. Can we get back to talking about fun stuff for dorkroom discussion?

Clicking your new custom title was pretty fun...

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

brad industry posted:

I haven't met anyone in video production who thinks they are a novelty, it's a big deal. This is the filmmaking equivalent of the first affordable DSLRs, you can shoot better footage with less production.

And on that topic, can anyone recommend music videos that were shot on DSLRs? I found this stop motion one that's pretty cool but I want to see real video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvNZKQ8gywY&feature=player_embedded

I'm shooting a music video soon, probably on a 5D/7D, pretty excited about it.

*still* maybe not quite what you're looking for, but there are several videos from last year's Nine Inch Nails tour shot by Rob Sheridan, the band's art director. He apparently used a 5dmkII with a nifty fifty for the whole show.

Another release, The Gift, I *believe* was all shot on 5D's, but the only reference I can find just says 'consumer HD camera' so I can't say for sure.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

psylent posted:

Oh god I absolutely hate typing or doing anything on my work Blackberry. I can type about 5x faster on my iPhone.

I'm with you here. I carried around a BB for work for about 6 months. Every time I used the thing it made me feel like I was bashing two rocks together in morse code to get what I wanted. Ugh.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

East Lake posted:

I wish I could film everything in IMAX instead of taking photographs, maybe when I 'm a billionaire.

Someone did pretty much that. In 1992. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraka_(film)

Watch the re-release on blu-ray, it's absolutely loving gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

spog posted:

When I look at rear end and Boobs pictures, my attention is always concentrated on the depth of field used and the type of post-processing applied.

#dorkroomconfessions

Before I studied the art, a boob to me was just like a boob, an rear end just like an rear end. After I learned the art, a boob was no longer a boob, an rear end no longer an rear end. Now that I've understood the art, a boob is just like a boob, an rear end just like an rear end.