Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Mine always take the maximum amount of time they mention, if not a bit longer. Sucks, I've been waiting on a nice package of adapters and an accessory lens for like two weeks. I usually don't mind paying a premium of a couple bucks to buy from a US seller in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I can't wait until this winter when every day I feel like going out and taking some shots in the snow, and I have to come to grips with the fact that I just don't want to stand around in sub-zero temperatures trying to adjust my camera with mittens on or fumbling around with the controls with finders that have lost all feeling.

Winter, I love you baby but why you gotta make me hate you?

I've never lived anywhere super-cold, but when I was in Beijing for a winter I bought a cheap pair of gloves and cut out the bottom of the index finder and thumb on the right hand and used those.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

There are so many things right with that picture that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Counterpoint (well, just the dude on the left really):

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Giant cardboard TLR build time-lapse video

(from RFF)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mannequin posted:

Extremely rare Nikon lens for sale up on eBay right now:

Close-up photo

. . . .

According to douchebag Ken Rockwell, only 350 were made back in the 1970's and very rarely do they show up in the used market. Bids for this auction start $17,633.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/13mm.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/nikkor/n09_e.htm

...I'm not sure I would want it though. Seem almost like a liability because of its rarity and price tag.

lmbo a Sigma 12-24 is more flexible, less cumbersome, faster, wider, cheaper by several orders of magnitude, has autofocus, and is still rectilinear.

Ken :negative:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

you know that nobody likes to go sightseeing with you because you carry a golf bag full of monopods and spend ten minutes choosing the right one for each shot

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

What's the best response to "Wow those photos are great, you must have an awesome camera" that you've heard/said?

"Hey that dinner was really good, you must have great pots and pans!"

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

welp

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

see guys, you don't need video to make kick rear end films, you can do it with 18.5TB worth of stills. http://www.pdnpulse.com/2009/11/fantastic-mr-fox-movie-shot-with-nikon-d3s.html

Fantastic Mr. Fox was a really good movie and was shot using a variety of DSLRs. The coolest bit though is their crazy custom software to live stream the shots all on a network for Wes Anderson, the director, to view from anywhere.

Corpse Bride was shot on Canon DSLRs, but since they decided the Canon lenses weren't good enough they had custom adapters so they could use the newer Nikon lenses on them.

That software is nuts, and crazy useful. I think it would change/improve the workflow of stop-motion films immensely.

evil_bunnY posted:

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/

The Pen F is one of the most beautiful cameras ever made, IMO. I wish collectors would leave the Olympus half-frame SLR system alone :colbert:

I just picked up a FED Micron (not my thread) this weekend on eBay for :10bux: , that'll have to do for my half-frame fix.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 30, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

noss posted:

Hey Rhombus, too bad you're done shopping for the time being. I could have given you the most insane deal on a Pen F and a 38/1.8 MINTY fresh, with original stylish lenscap. I also have an XA and 35RC.

:monocle:

What are you asking for the F/lens? I'm not so sure on funds right this moment, I'm in the middle of changing up my film gear lineup and need to wait for the dust to settle. Should know in another week or two, Christmas time at the latest.

brad industry posted:

XA's are the poo poo, best pocket camera ever.

I've got an XA gathering dust on my shelf, I picked it up for cheap but it needs repair. It's actually my third one, I've owned two before but both broke (one had the electromagnet that controls the shutter go out, the other had some plastic crud fall in the advance mechanism and jam it). I sent them both off for servicing last year but the tech only got the second one working, also had him modify the light meter to read a stop fast, opening up ISO 1600 shooting. Big fan of the camera, especially after the conversion, but eventually sold it to fund my Bessa.

Decent shallow DoF, with accurate rangefinder focusing:

Self-timer for long, vibration-free exposures:

I've heard some people complain about vignetting but it's generally well-controlled, here's a Kodachrome 25 scan:

35mm is a nice focal length, decent wide but not crazy:

Small and unobtrusive, good for street shots:

tl;dr - Olympus XA: a cool little camera.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 1, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

noss posted:

If you EVER need an Olympus camera modified or repaired to a level above what you're expecting, please find a way to contact me. zonesix, gmail et cetera. I know someone who will blow your mind for less money than you think.

PS: If those shots came from an XA, I'll send you a propak of 35mm film and pay for processing, as long as you don't mind me jerking it to your photos. Awesome stuff.

PPS: I don't exactly own the camera/lens yet, but it's on reserve for me at the company I start employment with tomorrow morning. I have been offered the low low price of $80 for the camera and lens. I no longer have an adapter to put the lens on the E-P1, nor the E-P1. I'll sell the whole shebang to you at my cost, or you can wait a couple days and I'll tell my boss to sell it to you at the price he offered me. $80 for the camera and lens by today's market prices, according to the internet seems to be a good deal, and I have personally verified that it's in loving AWESOME condition. No dust inside it, lens or body.

Dude, sold. I may take you up on that repair guy too, previous one was $60 which seemed reasonable enough, but I was a little bummed he couldn't save both cameras. No longer have the unfixable one, but would be nice knowing #3 is in good hands. Issues aren't major, misaligned RF and aperture lever gets practically frozen between f/4 and f/8. Meter and shutter are working fine though.

Yep, those are all out of those two XA's I mentioned. I don't have a working Oly camera at the moment though :-\

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

noss posted:

If Rhombus says he doesn't want it, it's yours.

I'll definitely take it as long as it doesn't have any major issues. You don't need to run a roll of film through it, but do you mind just eyeballing the shutter speeds and other obvious stuff, and sending me a few pics when you get it?

If for whatever reason I'm not using it as much as I thought (I want a nice little half-frame as my "take anywhere, shoot lots" camera), I'll re-sell it at cost to another goon. I think evil_bunnY had secondsies though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Stregone posted:

Those half frame cameras sound really cool. Is there a website out there with more info about them?

As noss said, film was apparently pretty pricey back in the 60's, and doubling the number of shots per roll (and coming up with much smaller bodies/lenses) was a clever move. A bit analogous to the DSLR/cropping thing today when you think about it, although the limited high ISO performance/size of enlargements limitations might not be such a close fit.

A lot of people like them for the size/uniqueness/diptychs, but I'm actually a bit motivated by cost too. Not that film's breaking the bank when I mostly shoot Arista, but it'd be nice to regain some of the "shoot whatever" attitude from digital.

Olympus has done some pretty cool things, I've always liked them as the scrappy underdog Japanese camera manufacturer, although right now all I own of theirs is a 50mm f/1.8 and that busted XA. Their OM SLR's are really nice though, I think probably the most compact of any of the major manufacturers.

I also used to have their 21mm f/2.0 lens, which was a real gem (although a bit pricey, eventually sold it because it was essentially a $600+ novelty item). I didn't have an adapter for it at first and really wanted to try it out, so I took it along and handheld it in front of my camera to get some cool tilt-shift type shots. Despite the limited image circle it works really well: wide and fast so you can take a lot in and blur a lot out. I have a Bronica 50mm f/2.8 on a more proper home-made tilt/shift adapter now that costs a fraction of what the Zuiko did, but it's just not the same :sigh:

noss: E-mail sent. Where are you starting work at, btw?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 1, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Do any of you remember that shitstorm when the Atlantic published a portrait of McCain on the cover, that the photographer later blogged that she shot him badly on purpose?

I think she basically sneaked the picture in as a lighting test, the other ones she were taking were all normal.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Et7UQh1tg

Promotional video for the Olympus Pen. I've seen a couple other videos shot in this style before, but it's still pretty :3:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/pho/1500915983.html

quote:

Hasselblad 500 ELX - $2500 (South Tampa)

Date: 2009-12-08, 2:33PM EST
Reply to: sale-h76sa-1500915983@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

For sale Hasselblad 500 ELX camera.Formerly owned by Nikki Sixx of Motley Crew.Will provide documentation.

:rock:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

notlodar posted:

What are the ethics behind letting your ex-girlfriend use one of your photos for free in the magazine she works for? :(

Does the magazine make a profit?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

notlodar posted:

Yeah.

is this how confession booths are like?

Nah at this point I'd be sliding the little glory hole cover open ;-*

I tend to be okay with giving stuff away to non-profits/school reports/etc, but if they're making money off the image I think the photographer deserves a cut.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Verman posted:

I agree, if the magazine is making a profit off of their publication, then you should be entitled to some sort of compensation for your photo.

Obligatory link to "Pay the Writer"

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in New Zealand, on top of this, (unless specified otherwise via contract etc) the copyright is held by the person/people in the photo. So if someone took a photo of you, they couldn't sell it or distribute it without your permission.

I dunno, I don't think it could work quite like that. It would make it pretty much impossible for news photographers/photojournalists to work: imagine taking a picture of a street in Auckland and having to run around getting everyone to sign a waiver so your editor could run it on page 5 of the business section.

In the United States (I think the UK is similar?) you can take a picture of someone on the street and sell it for fine art/editorial uses, IIRC it's only commercial/advertising stuff that requires a model release.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Ok, I'm breaking the point of this thread and asking for advice:

I'm out of school now and with the extra time I'd like to be studying/working on my photography, something I've been putting off doing for a long time. I looked in to my old university's Continuing Ed photo classes and they don't look particularly promising (neither did their BFA program for that matter, which is why I never took any photo classes as an undergrad). The library, on the other hand, has a really nice selection of great books. Can anyone point me towards a good syllabus, reading list, or curriculum in photography, like a proper degree program would have? I know this sounds broad as hell, but I'd like to fill in the gaps of the hodgepodge collection of knowledge I've built up over the years.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

brad industry posted:

http://www.aphotostudent.com

He posted his MFA reading list and keeps updating with the articles/books they're reading and discussing. A lot of the shorter articles are online for free. I read a lot of the same stuff when I was in school and I've picked up a lot of others from his recommendations that I hadn't and they've all been really good.

edit: here's the reading list, with links
http://www.aphotostudent.com/photo-readings/

Other than that I would either take some art history classes or at least pick up some overview of western art books and from there go to photo history (which is obviously short and easy to put into context once you are familiar with the broader background).

Thanks brad, that is perfect!

They actually do offer a "History of Photography" class in the spring, but given the wealth of books in the library on the subject I'm not sure it'd be worth it to take the class. This afternoon I went through two on the history of Japanese photography, very good but I see what you mean about needing an art history/general photography history background first.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

squidflakes posted:

How exactly is he claiming copyright on this image?

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com...ther%201927.htm

It's unlikely that he has it, but in the case of old photos/etc that are in public domain, doing extensive restoration/processing work on them results in a new copyrighted work. At my job we do a lot of this, although it's basically given away for free for educational use anyways.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqFA9Mvq5M

10 minute video on kite photography. It's a good watch, the guy's enthusiasm is really infectious :3: If nothing else, check out the simple yet ingenious version for a disposable camera at 5:25.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Hey brad, would it be :filez: if I linked to a ZIP file of all the articles available online from that reading list? It's all linked from the reading list, but it's more convenient if it's all in one place.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

my wife got me an early Christmas present!

a broken image jpg? :v:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

brad industry posted:

No go for it, that would be rad actually.

Cool, here it is. I took the stuff that was on webpages and copied it into separate RTF documents, leaving the original URL at the top. There's also another RTF document listing the stuff that weren't available online, I added ISBN-10 numbers for quicker look-up on Amazon/Half/your library's webpage, pretty sure I got all of them. I cross-checked that list with my university library and they have all but one of those remaining books :cool:

Paragon8 posted:

The cold dead eyes of that gorilla baby are terrifying.

Hahaha, agreed.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I love the double-exposures, that's really creative. I'm going to have to cut a darkslide up and give that a try.

I've been wanting to do a working holiday for the longest time, and I was actually thinking of doing something similar to busk in the evenings since I can't sing or play any kind of instrument.

My Speed Graphic is on its way, incidentally :hellyeah:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I got a free sample pack from moo, and am planning on ordering a 100-pack in the near future. The stock is pretty thick and seems like it's good quality, and it lets you show off your work at the same time. The people I've shown them to have been really impressed.

squidflakes posted:

The camera store near me is selling a Crown Graphic for $250. I'm so tempted...

Kinda steep, unless it has a special lens or a bunch of accessories. You can probably grab one for under $150 on eBay if you're patient. I didn't know anyone else was looking for one, I sold mine on RFF for $120 last weekend (it had a weird back and slow speeds on the shutter needed CLA).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not that the article isn't riddled with enough technical inaccuracies, but I believe Cartier-Bresson shot most of his famous stuff with Barnacks (older screw mount Leicas), not M's.

I hope Samsung has something more in the shape of the GF1/EP1 in the pipeline, a compact 1.6x crop EVIL is pretty tempting.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

squidflakes posted:

I really wish DSLRs were built with with an eye toward being upgraded. Though, I would assume the sensor is a major factor in the cost, so there may not be any sort of cost savings.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/RicohGXR/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

brad industry posted:

Which one of you did this

hahaha

What was the name of the book for the first monthly reading assignment? Think the thread is back in archives now.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Private Label posted:

It was "Criticizing Photographs" by Terry Barrett. Which I still have yet to finish. :(

Cheers, thanks. Found an older copy of it at the library, will be reading through it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

INTERGALACTIC MEAT posted:

He's still got to hold the camera somehow, might as well be firing and holding with the same hand, leave the steering for the other.

Avenger clamp + tripod head (or add in a Magic Arm) would work fine, I've seen some cool videos done with that combo. I'm personally kind of leery about putting anything with moving parts in a tank bag, as there can be a significant amount of vibration coming from the bike. (Saddlebags I feel better about, especially soft ones with clothes and other crap in them to insulate it.)

As far as the glove I don't see why he doesn't just buy a cheap pair, and cut out the pad of the thumb and index finger on the hand he uses to shoot with. I did that for a winter and it worked fine.

If I had a 5D2 of my own, I'd make you guys a 12mm video of me riding :smith:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just want to say thanks for that history of photography podcast link, it's interesting stuff and has been keeping me going at work all week.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Has anyone ever been to a camera show/swap meet? There's one near me next weekend, I'm thinking about going. Kinda iffy about leaving a ton of poo poo in the car... do people without a table carry it all around with them or what?

poopinmymouth posted:

At some point it gets ridiculous because the extra bodies would be far more useful doing aid, rather than capturing yet another photo from the same angle. Everyone thinks they have the eye that will capture the photo that will do far more good for whatever the conflict is than their direct actions could help, but I am positive it is past that point in Haiti, some of those photos are disgusting, knowing they could be out digging people out of the rubble or assisting doctors, rather than shooting 12 fps next to 10 other rich white western photographers with gear worth 10x what the average haitian makes in a year.

I would think there are plenty of able-bodied Haitians milling around with no jobs, I don't think they're really hard up for unskilled labor.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Brozekiel posted:

You goin over to the one in Largo? I've never been to a camera show but since I'm now starting to get more in to camera stuff I've been planning on going in hopes of learning things and checking out some cool gear. I might even pick up a medium format something-or-other if the price is right.

Yeah, that's the one. Planning on going Sunday (already going to be out that way for something in the evening), hopefully won't miss out on any nice earlybird Saturday deals.

I've got a pretty good idea of the prices of anything I'd be interested in buying, mostly going in hopes of scoring a reasonably-priced 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic with a focal plane shutter I can test in person. Seems like 95% of people selling them on eBay hauled them out of grandpa's closet and don't have a goddamn clue how to check them out.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Wooten posted:

I stumbled onto this the other day:

http://cow.mooh.org/2009/07/plungercam-2-cheaper-and-more.html

Has anyone tried anything like this? It seems like a fun project for an idle afternoon.

EDIT: Do you think it could be done with a non medium format lens? Say a 35mm f/2?

Yep... I have a hard time finding one of those plungers locally though, I went to several different hardware stores. For the one I'm working on now, I'm planning on using the bellows from an old macro rail setup I took apart for other purposes, but if you can find one of those plunger things by all means go for it. One thing about those conversions is they're a bit inelegant: since you're going to be shooting wide open all the time and moving the lens physically to focus, there's no need to keep the focusing helicals and stuff, which make up the majority of a lens's bulk and weight. If you have the tools, it's better to remove the lens cells and shutter and mount those separately. It will give you more flexibility/range of movement and also cut down on weight.

You can pick up those Bronica lenses cheap: KEH often has them for less than $10 with a broken shutter. Again, since you don't need the shutter, those lenses will work fine for your purposes. Look for the 75mm or 80mm Bronica lenses, those are the cheapest. The downside of the MF lenses is that it's hard to get wide-angle cheap.

You can also do it with a 35mm lens, but since they don't throw as big of an image circle you can't move it around as much without having the corners start to black out. I was waiting on an adapter to arrive for my Olympus 21mm f/2.0 and used it as a tilt-shift just handholding it in front of the camera, I liked the results I got. It does help to have a plunger or whatever kind of material though, otherwise you'll often get crazy amounts of flare from light coming in between the lens and the camera body. I've since sold the Olympus (it was way too expensive to use just for noodling around like that) but just got a beater Nikon 21mm f/2.8 in the mail I was planning on using as a T/S lens, because I miss the WA perspective I got with the Olympus.. Not sure if I can bring myself to take it apart though :ohdear:

I said I'd do a DIY thread but I've been busy, but I'm working on it!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 13, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I lol'd

Ringo R posted:

After reading a bit about it since you offered to throw me a lens for DIY t/s, steering bellows and older gear shift bellows should work too.

Edit: I just played around a bit with the nifty fifty and was like :aaaaa: when I got it to work. I know it's a terrible picture but pfft whatevah

It can be a gimmick but a useful one. I found it kinda refreshing when I was shooting really cliche stuff (Grand Palace, Angkor Wat, etc) because I actually felt like I was probably getting something original rather than the same picture everyone else was saying. Basically I was being lazy and it was an awesome crutch! :v:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

JaundiceDave posted:

This is when you put on some headphones, get a wacom, and zone out for an hour or two doing spot corrections.

I usually crack a beer or two as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

squidflakes posted:

Finding studio space I can afford is proving to be a right pain in the rear end.

I've learned not to mention I'm looking to use the space for a photo studio. That suddenly knocks the price up a few bucks a square foot.

At this point, I may say gently caress it and use get a storage unit and use that. You'd think with all the burble about the real estate markets crashing and all the un-leased space sitting around you could find some deals, but alas.

That, or maybe I should co-op with someone. I wish Houston was a tad more friendly on that account.

Have you tried poking around on Craigslist? I've seen one or two in my area that rent for pretty reasonable rates.

I dunno about a storage unit, you'd want one with AC and I'd think power outlets probably aren't standard on most. Check out industrial parks, maybe. We were doing a carpentry project at work and rented a unit on the edge of town for $250/month or something. It was huge, could easily fit 3-4 cars in it and had a loft area. The guy that had it before us had brought in a hot water heater and was trying to fix it up to live in, lmao.