Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

welp

"Focus Schmocus" is a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boston.com has their "Pictures of 2009" up, and they are phenomenal.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/12/2009_in_photos_part_1_of_3.html

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

I've posted on here before about the fact that my main interest in photography is underwater work. I've done quite a bit myself but my Dad did back in the 70's as well. I'm not sure why he ever quit taking photos but he is still in the dive industry. Anyway I've run across some old photos and have been working on a few of them and I thought you guys might like to see some of them.

Those are neat as hell. Does he still have the old camera? The first one and shot of someone swimming next to the wall of seaweed is cool.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To play devil's advocate for a second, a lot of P&S cameras, and things like the Powershot G11 and Olympus EP-1 and EP-2 have shown a lot of promise compared to full-bore DSLRs. They're not equivalent, and may never be, but they're getting a lot closer in some aspects. A ton of people are buying DSLRs just because "I want better pictures!" and probably never take them out of AUTO in their lifetime. I think some of these cameras are taking advantage of that market, as well as the DSLR enthusiasts who might want something a little more pocketable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm#lefty

His proof that the lefty elephant penis F100 is real is the fact that he wears his watch upside down, apparently.

Holy loving :lol:. K-Rock is amazing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Skiing with à 85mm up to your face: not loving recommended :toot:

OK you really can't tease us with that without the rest of the story. :f5:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If I had a 5D2 of my own, I'd make you guys a 12mm video of me riding :smith:

I wanna see a video of you riding while wearing that :zoid: hat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Couple's holiday pictures recovered intact from the bottom of the sea - 16 months after digital camera was dropped overboard from QM2 cruise ship.

Also PPIM takes good pictures, offers solid critique, and can love whoever he wants.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brozekiel posted:

It's definitely possible to do it in camera by zooming out the same speed he's moving at you (like you said). Try it with cars driving down the road some time. It's drat hard, or more likely impossible, to keep your subject in focus though. I've taken shots like this accidentally before.

Dakana pulled off a shot like this over in the sports thread too.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2777/4263643188_8dcfc4dda2.jpg

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For all of us Olympus fans OK all 5 of us, shut up :(, apparently Sony liked the micro Four-Thirds idea and has run with it themselves.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

So, I was eating in a chinese restaurant yesterday and couldn't help but overhear the guy in the next booth talking about how he was looking for a photography assistant. Fortunately, I didn't interject and offer my services like my initial reaction was.

Continuing to eavesdrop he sounded like a huuuuge douche. Apparently his ideal assistant (he was describing it to his dinner companion) is to be young (16 years old was perfect apparently), sexy, willing to carry heavy things, and female.

:psyduck:

Don't worry, he'll wind up with 24, acne-ridden, 300 lbs, weak, and male.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So I think I need to start carrying a step ladder with me or get platform shoes because I am just too short. I'm at 5'4" and the people I photograph who are taller than me I catch a weird lower angle. I'm not quite eye level, when I happen to get to a taller vantage, I think the photo comes out better.

Could be worse. I'm 6'6" and a ton of the big athletes I shoot wind up looking like 7th graders. :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I uh..... um... I um... gently caress, I got nothing here. :psyduck:

Can someone please explain how a hood costs $600?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

orange lime posted:

I found this site: Ken Rockwell facts (a la Chuck Norris)

With such winners as

"When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories"

"Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is."

"For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers."

"Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one."

"Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker. Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one, that's how Pentax was born."

Fuckin' :lol:

EDIT: "Ken Rockwell never produces awful work, only work too advanced for the viewer." Boy if that isn't the loving truth.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

orange lime posted:

There are already a pile of Ken Rockwell facts, which I think got posted in this thread a few pages ago.

Yep.

orange lime posted:

I found this site: Ken Rockwell facts (a la Chuck Norris)

With such winners as

"When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories"

"Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is."

"For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers."

"Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For those who would like a quick history of photography:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fenner posted:

This looks like hella fun, DSLR hooked up to an RC choppa. A "cheap" way to get some aerial photography done.

http://vimeo.com/10878737

TFR/GBS's Bushman (yeah he's a goofball but stick with me here) rigged up a camera (it may have actually been a disposable or a quick P&S) to an RC airplane to get aerial shots of pigs causing damage to his rice farm. It was actually pretty impressive. I'll see if I can dig up how he did it.

EDIT: Here we go. It was an old Sony camcorder, whoops.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 10, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

squidflakes posted:

how they push their religion/politics,

The hell? I may have missed something here, and Chick Fil A isn't that common here in Ohio, but all I've gotten from them are sandwiches and ads during football games about eating chicken. :confused:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Augmented Dickey posted:

It's really surprising how much mobility comes into play, even when you get serious about photography.

Goddamn if this isn't true. I found the tiny-rear end combination of my 410 body and little 25mm pancake lens to still be my favorite walk-around because it's so drat small.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A subject of one of the most famous photographs ever passed away on Sunday

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The eyyesss... THE EYEEEEESSS :gonk:

Actually this is pretty bitchin. What would be used to take shots like these? Just a really drat good macro?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

boke-eh

Bo-kee :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

e: It's fun getting yelled at by cranky parents with nothing better to do. "WHAT RIGHT DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE A PICTURE OF MY VEHICLE?"

Tell them that due to budget cuts, you're the new red light camera :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HPL posted:

A camera for training Japanese pilots in WWII. They go do a training exercise and use film instead of ammo, get back to the base, develop the film and see how accurate they are.

That's cool as hell

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings/listByCat.asp?catID=170

Thought some people would like to know that Good Will online now has camera listings.

JC Penney made lenses? :psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I forgot my camera battery, and am at a winery trip. FFFUUUUUUUU

Welp! Time to enjoy a whole lotta wine :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nonanone posted:

Anybody else going to/at photo plus expo? My coworker picked up our press bags and I'm excited to know what's in it, but I cant make it there until Friday night. I cant wait to play with all the expensive equipment I can never afford to own :3:

I heard a bit about this and remembering you said you're in Michigan was hoping this was at Cobo or something, so I looked it up.

Stupid NYC :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Nope, art teacher at my mother's school who used to be a photographer. (who isn't a meth dealer).

She bought them new several years ago, and I'm assuming she just figured normal devaluing applied to lenses. I don't think my dad will use the 300 much. I'm thinking of offering him 400 for it and we'd both still come out ahead.

Man that's the deal of the drat year right there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

http://gizmodo.com/5678601/what-your-choice-of-camera-says-about-you

What Your Choice of Camera Says About You

My Renault is awesome, I'll have you know. :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Some photographer stayed awake for 40 days

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

The brand that doesn't infringe any trademarks. :v:

It seriously looks like someone just spilled a little white-out over the C A N O N on his pop-up flash too. It's great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ringo R posted:

My lens collection, which one does not belong? Sorry for horrible cell phone pic.

You could beat someone to death with that 70-200 lens hood.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

This guy built a cool rig for taking photos of water balloons mid-pop. via npr:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2010/10/13/130536054/water-balloons

That is cool as hell. I really need to play with various trigger ideas like this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I keep wanting to reply to those ads and string them along for no particular reason.

MY NAME TOOF THE MARTY. I GIVE YOU $USD FOR CAMERA BUT NEED BANK ACCT PLEASE NUMBER. WILL SEND EXTRA MONIES $USD YOU KEEP 10% THANK YO UGOD BLESS.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Far as photo books go, how do people like The Hotshoe Diaries?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

It's great and you should buy it.

Killer, thanks :toot:

vvv Ah, thanks also

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 7, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You guys who photograph models or others on rooftops, cliffs, etc. Please be very aware of what you're doing. Tom Bridegroom was a very good friend of mine from high school and he fell from a 4-story rooftop while photographing a model. Trust your gut, if something doesn't seem right, or you're not sure about your setup, change it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Sorry about your friend, but that's just such a bizarre story to me. I can't ever imagine not being aware of my surroundings under those circumstances.

Yeah it's a wild story to be sure, and I'd always known Tom to be a very responsible guy. Smart as hell too. I'm wondering if he just got caught up in the moment, or just took one step back too many. I don't know if details beyond that news story will be released. I tend to doubt it.

nonanone posted:

I just keep thinking of that photo of Leibovitz on that roof with the gargoyles with her assistant grabbing her by the shirt as she leans out. Whenever I'm doing something dangerous I have someone spot me, because I tend to get sucked up in the shooting.

It's really easy to do. I shoot over the top of the glass in a local hockey rink and in wanting to get a good shot of a guy shooting, or a goalie reacting to it, I'll lose track of where the puck is, and more than a few have come plenty close to giving me a good headache.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Anyone around here got any good/bad experiences with any of the online lens rental services? I want to try out a few Canon lenses this summer before buying one, and want to make sure I avoid problems.

I got a friend who recommended borrowlenses.com, but they're based in California while I'm in Chicago. I'd like to go local if I can, just because it makes me nervous shipping expensive lenses long distance.

I went with ProPhotoRental last year and they were fantastic. Lens arrived in a Pelican case that looked like a bullet wouldn't dent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

I, too, wish to lay exclusive claim to an obvious, commonly used technique.

Hey, you know that whole 'rule of thirds' thing? Yeah. I started that. :smug: