Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Martytoof posted:

Adobe's adobe abode.

ADOOBE DOOBEE DOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helmacron posted:

I think if you can microwave a D3
You first

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It must have been that UV protector he had on there

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I just downloaded this. It's pretty neat, it goes through all of your photos and graphs the number of times you've used each focal length, aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. Apparently I love 28mm equiv, ISO 800 and 1/60th sec exposure. It only tabulates jpg though :( Anyone know of something similar that can get EXIF data from RAWs?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

psylent posted:

This was great, I'm a bit embarrassed to say it describes me pretty well

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
New aerial photos of 9/11 released. Some of these are just unbelievable. I can't even imagine what was going through the photographer's mind.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Wait, only 5 images survived? A very kind deed performed by the Spaniard, but the lady seems a little over excited about getting a grant total of 5 pictures back. Especially if one of them was shot with the horizon at a 10 degree angle.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

trueblue posted:

What is apparently a hilarious video.
drat you China and your blocking of youtube :argh:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Paragon8 posted:

We already have a Ken Rockwell of something awful.
Whatever happened to Friendship Waffle anyway?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
When are people going to realize that a snuggie is just wearing a robe backwards?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Will phones and compact cameras converge?
They already have in China. Everyone here has phones with real actual, respectable lenses, optical zooms and all. They're about the size of a Canon SD1300. A little thick, but still easily pocketable and not much bigger than a blackberry.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

orange lime posted:

With lenses that maintain a constant aperture, what is actually occurring is that the designers have made a conscious choice to limit the aperture's opening at the short end in the interests of sharpness. Your 70-200 f/2.8 could theoretically be a 1.4 at the short end, but it would be hazy and soft if not outright uncorrected.
I've always wondered why they didn't make one of the 2.8 zooms faster at the wide end. Ok, maybe they'd be less sharp, but if you stopped down would it correct this while still having the option of shooting at wider apertures when needed?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

RangerScum posted:

the blind black KKK leader from the Chapelle Show.
Whatever happened to Clayton Bigsby anyway?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Augmented Dickey posted:

:)
Only a few weeks late for the pareidolia CC photo contest.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3273679

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helmacron posted:

Does anybody know of any instances where someone is prosecuted and convicted of photos they've taken not of illegal acts, but whilst doing an illegal act. For example, someone prosecuted from posting online, photos of urbex? Anyone heard of any cases?
I never heard of anyone seeing any ill consequences of online posting when I was involved in the Chicago urbex scene. Many people were afraid to post their faces, but numerous others did. Granted, it's not the most horrific crime in the world. Maybe the pictures are seen by authorities but not worth the trouble...? I have seen places more locked down due to excessive internet posting and even had some cops ask me if I was going to "post them on some blogs" when they stopped me as I was leaving a site.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It's time for another round of What Would You Take? I'm going to spend a few days hiking around around Huashan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hua. What gear would you take? I have available:
5d2
450d/Xsi
Tamron 18-270
Sigma 10-20
Canon 35/2
Canon 50/1.8
Canon 135/2
tripod

Major considerations are weight, bulk, and obviously taking pictures.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

It's time for another round of What Would You Take? I'm going to spend a few days hiking around around Huashan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hua. What gear would you take? I have available:
5d2
450d/Xsi
Tamron 18-270
Sigma 10-20
Canon 35/2
Canon 50/1.8
Canon 135/2
tripod

Major considerations are weight, bulk, and obviously taking pictures.
Thanks for the advice everyone (a while ago). Ended up going with the XSi, 10-20, 135, tripod, and s90. Seemed to work out ok. I really just want a uwa full frame or maybe an old OM mount wide angle prime or something (they're tiny!). Not super thrilled with what I came away with but here's the set anyway in case you're interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/spf3million/sets/72157624188410302/

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I don't know, for me it was before as I tried to hand hold for 3 shots, then I tried setting it down on a ledge, then said gently caress it and bought a $30 tripod. :ughh:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
How the hell do you grab phorum posts from the new flickr? I found the HTML but no [img][/img] links... anyone figure this out?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Why the gently caress does everyone add an extra e to the end of lens? I can let a few typos pass without comment but jesus, it's spelled "lense" so often that I'm questioning whether it's actually spelled "lens" at all. Am I actually the idiot who's misspelling it all the time?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helmacron posted:

I know it sounds like an insane point of view, but whenever this topic comes up, I always get to thinking about it all again and I know, I absolutely know that I would prefer to live in a world where photography is illegal.

In some ways, I realize it will stifle creativity, but we have such an incredibly glut of it right now (I believe). And I realize it would be almost unenforceble. On the spot fines for all toting cameras, sure. And there will be criminal acts by law enforcement officials because there is no one out there documenting.

And of course, Nikon will die, and Canon will die. And tamronsigma and so on.

And I suppose the idea, this idea of mine, is born from jealousy and chagrin of all these cameras around me all the time. And because I will be one of the few who would continue to pursue outside photography.

But

really try and see it. A world where cameras are banned everywhere but your own home.

Wouldn't you want to see those outside images? Like, wouldn't the mundane suddenly be a little bit amazing.
This place exists, it's called Saudi Arabia.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Speaking of calibration, my laptop came with a built in hueyPRO. When I run it, I have to close the laptop and it takes a minute or two. Any idea how this works? I assume it uses the webcam somehow but there's no way it would be able to see anything on the screen except for maybe the very top of the monitor.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

brad industry posted:

What kind of laptop has a Huey built in? I bet the sensor is somewhere on the keyboard and closing it puts it close enough to read the screen like a normal one would.
It's a Lenovo W510. Cost ~$60 extra I think.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helmacron posted:

Whilst I could probably fit some more in, I have just now filled two notebooks with photo ideas. I thought it would be a good idea if I got into uni. I could just catalogue them, and I wouldn't have to have on the ball creativity, I could just mix and match my previous ideas to fit anything.

However, now I've got this huge backlog of creativity I feel stymied. Claustrophobic. Way too many photo ideas.

I kinda wanna burn them.
You should burn them then take pictures of the fire. There's another photo idea, write it down in your notebook.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

dakana posted:

Not exactly "fun stuff", but I don't know where else to put this.

http://www.news.com.au/pictures/gallery-e6frflv9-1111119597823?page=8
Hope he had a UV filter on to keep it weather proof what with the raining blood and all.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Dread Head posted:

Russians in probably the first (documented) digital editing of photos back in 1987 (I think Photoshop came out in 1990), pretty crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2PsiJXswiM
That is really loving impressive. Could you imagine d/b'ing with a track ball? :psyboom:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

dunkman posted:

I'm having a huge slugfest over in SA-Mart with the host of my photo gallery domain (Tfatf.com).
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=991927&pagenumber=84#lastpost
Wow that was quite the meltdown over there. It was a back and forth battle for a while with both sides striking blows and the audience getting into the action. Then out of nowhere, the avalanche hit in support of dunks and it was over before Hytek knew what hit him. Glad you got your domain back.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I just watched City of God. For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It's about a kid who grows up in a slum of Rio de Janeiro and wants to become a photographer instead of a hoodlum.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

kefkafloyd posted:

It's easy to outsell Canon and Nikon in the mirrorless market when they haven't even entered it yet.

They need to worry about beating Sony or Panasonic first.
Do point and shoot's fall into this category? I don't really know, but I always thought Canon dominated the P&S world. Could be because that's all I've ever really owned though.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
So I just went on a little photo outing with a friend and he asked for all of the pictures after we got back. I gave him unedited 500kb copies of everything. Then he posted the good ones (and some not so good ones) on his facebook. What would Jesus do in this situation? I know he doesn't mean anything by it, he just wants his friends and family to see where he's been. And I know I can improve most of them with a little post processing and all of our mutual friends will know I shot everything when I clean them up and post them, but still... it feels like plagiarism and I don't like it :colbert:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I guess I do care that by not giving me credit, someone is offhandedly claiming something that is mine as his own creation. Would I be alone in this feeling? Maybe I'm being a big girl. Now that I think about it, I post my pictures online because I like getting positive feedback about them. Why does anyone else? -ok aside from when looking for work or when asking for critique.

My thinking behind not processing them first is that it'd be even more like plagiarism if I gave out edited versions. I know, easy solution is just don't give them out in the first place. Didn't intend to whine about it, just thought some of you may have shared similar experiences.

e:

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Yeah really, in a similar way... Sometimes people take the photos I've taken of them from flickr and upload them to their profiles, there's nothing wrong with that really, they're not claiming to own them or anything, they just want people to see. I think it's quite flattering.

It is a bit of a fine line though and if I was your friend I would have put "taken by so and so" in the comments if it's not clear who did.
Yeah, if it were just pics of him, then no I have no problem with that. Maybe I wasn't loved as a child and need people to think I'm a good photographer to stroke my ego or something.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 29, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think everyone reacts differently to different teaching styles. I see what McMadCow is saying about working your rear end off for every bit of praise you get. I don't think there's much a teacher can say if a photo is just boring. Students should know that the standard suggestions for a boring photo are along the lines of add a dynamic subject or look at it in a unique way.. something like that. I think when there is a right and wrong answer, then the teacher should be able to recommend possible ways of fixing a bad submission, but when it comes to artistic critique beyond the basics of exposure, I think it is very difficult to make useful recommendations for every boring photo/painting/sculpture/whatever. I guess the teacher's job should be to get the most out of his/her students and each teacher will have a different way of going about it. Some will be nice and offer suggestions and some students will respond to that, others will be harsh about it and maybe that will work for some others. I agree with ZoCrowes that the teacher should help students along when they are stuck or in a rut but I don't really have a problem with the guy saying that this photo is boring and that photo doesn't work without necessarily offering ways of making each one better.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/student_contest-06/souffle.html
One of the comments on Anthony Souffle's portfolio was, "Yeah, it looks like, ya know, it came out of professional camera". :doh:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Penpal posted:

Does anyone have the link for the guy demonstrating pictures from a broken lens? I'm googling all sorts of poo poo and I can't find it!
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches
Google, "smashed front element"

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DaNzA posted:

This week's 'The big picture' is amazing.

Kawah Ijen by night, a volcano in Indonesia.
I can't even begin to imagine how bad this smells.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

dunkman posted:

Post your tax-refund-irresponsible-photography-related-purchase you wish to make with it:

Canon 85 1.2
Fuji x100

spf3million fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 14, 2011

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

To be fair the M5 is the Xbox of Leicas.

Achievement Unlocked: Two Xbox references in the Dorkroom within one week.
Haha you're on a roll.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Someone posted a comment on one of the DigitalRev youtubes saying it's the Top Gear of photography. I'm inclined to agree with them.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

If anyone should be upset, it's Jaguar. The print shows nothing of the photo's original artistic merit. I understand copyright, but poo poo.

This is another matter entirely.
That is almost an identical situation. Picture is lifted and edited to make it look generic then printed X number of times without paying for the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Anybody seen the Looxcie bluetooth video camera? Kind of an appealing idea, having a camera always recording - you hit a button to record the previous 30 seconds or something. I'm thinking it'd be cool as a still camera for those times when you wished you had a camera. Granted the sensor/lens is likely completely poo poo but in good light, maybe it would be usable...?