Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I just bought a 2tb HDD to back up all my poo poo at a 2nd location. Feels like a weight off my shoulders. Back up your photos people. It feels awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does the iPhone have a fixed FL? Any idea what the 35mm equivalent is?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
PIMM, is it bad that I know by reading one post on x100forum that you're videogamemaker? That is unless there's another photographer who designs video games who lives in Reykjavik who wants to shoot he gay scene nightlife but would never think of bringing his 5d and 35/1.4 out on the dance floor ;)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

trip9 posted:

Is it really? In what context, fashion shows?
I think he's sarcastically referring to this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378875&userid=0&perpage=20&pagenumber=19.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Mannequin posted:

I've always been a fan of this guy's shots with that lens. Looks like a pretty sweet lens if you can find it, let alone afford it.
What's so good about those? It looks like about 50% are just pics of his hot gf standing around in different places.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I believe compression is the phenomenon where things in the background look bigger relative to the foreground when a longer lens is used. I do not think the aperture affects this aside from the obvious impact on DOF. A great example of compression are people who specialize in taking pictures of the moon. They use compression to make the moon seem bigger than it actually is. They'll use a 200mm+ focal length and shoot the moon behind something and this makes it look huge. They typically try to have their "foreground" subject be on the horizon so that they can keep both the moon and the "foreground" subject in focus while using a wide aperture. They could use a smaller aperture and this won't affect the relative size of the foreground/moon but it's night time and the moon is moving so they can't use a long exposure (forced to use a small aperture and hence have the subject far away for DOF purposes). There's no reason why you couldn't use a closer subject for the foreground and a stationary object for the background which you want to appear bigger. You would only need a smaller aperture to keep them both in focus.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
A flickr contact who I didn't remember posted new photos recently:

Untitled by Aslan Chalom, on Flickr

Is this nodtlar back from the dead?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Gotta go Smartwool.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Did you catch the documentary on the life of the official white house photog? Pretty interesting.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm in China and on a work (restrictive) VPN so the video is blocked for one reason or another, but I think this is the link http://www.pbs.org/programs/presidents-photographer/. It's about Pete Souza the official photog and I know I watched it online at some point so it's out there somewhere.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I wonder if he got a shot of a Tiger-esque fist pump or anything out of the prez when they got the final word.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

onezero posted:

House got broken into today.
:sympathy:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
For anyone in Chicago, this might be worth checking out. http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/pho/2389341886.html

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

psylent posted:

Hey Dorks.

If you were going to go travelling for 6-12 months and you wanted to minimise the amount of crap you're carrying with you, what camera gear would you take?

My wife and I are planning a big trip in a couple years and I'm already thinking about what to do camera-wise. Do I lug my DSLR and a lens or two around the world with me or do I buy an X100 (or equivalent) and save the back strain?
The number of suitcases you are traveling with is huge. As Fists Up said, if you're carrying only a backpack, I would personally leave the slr at home and go with an x100. I travel 100% for work but have plenty of suitcase space and hotels to act as home base. When I go out on little trips, I always take my XA and a few rolls of film and sometimes I take my 5d2 and two out of three: 35/2, 50/1.8, 135/2. But I would be miserable if I had to carry it around on my back for 12 months.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

tuyop posted:

Actually I don't know why I haven't already started putting guidebooks and the like on my iphone, I've gone on like 10 trips with it but always buy the hard copy for whatever country I'm in. How strange!
I actually hate having guide books on the Kindle. I love reading novels on there but guide books are they type of thing I like to flip through quickly and mashing the next page button the Kindle gets old really fast. My advice is to buy the physical copy of Lonely Planet instead of the ebook copy.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The guy doesn't seem all that upset what with all of the out loud laughing going on
e:beaten ^^^

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Regarding the locked/unlocked problem, whenever you choose one (locked/unlocked) and hit done, the next image you crop will default to the same choice you previously made.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've flown over 100k miles with my gear in the last 1.5 years and I've never had a problem that I've noticed.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The problem was that people (myself included) would vote for really obscure themes just to see what everyone else could come up with. This drove down the number of entries to less than a handful sometimes sort of making the whole exercise pointless.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It sounds like your trouble was more the result of some clerical error causing you not to show up in the system. The police officer was admittedly acting outside of this legal boundary and you could have put him to the test by asking if you were under arrest or free to go, but as you said it was probably a better decision to just answer the questions and not cause trouble. I bet that if you would have shown up when he looked you up it would have been much less of an ordeal. Personally, with what the cop had to work with, it sounds like a relatively good interaction.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

torgeaux posted:

There is no magic time they're allowed to detain you. If you aren't free to leave, it's essentially an arrest. And you NEVER have to answer questions. And it's very, very rarely a good idea to do so.
I think if you know you weren't doing anything wrong than answering some questions will help you avoid getting arrested. But if you refuse to be cooperative with the questions than I think you're more likely to be detained even if the cop has to make up a reason for arresting you.

e: If you are under arrest though, certainly don't do blabbing on about stupid poo poo like you see on COPS.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
^^^ what he said

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What would you do here: My coworkers and I travel a ton for work (>95% travel). My company has an annual photo contest for people who travel. The winning photos go in the yearly company calendar. There aren't any other prizes/rewards. To enter, you have to sign over all rights to the company to use in any form they desire, mostly recruiting material. You can enter up to 5 photos and based on last year's calender, all 5 of mine are likely to be chosen. I can't decide whether I want to enter the contest and display my photographic dominance over my peers or hold out on ethical grounds (this is a big company, they can afford to pay people for photos used in recruiting material). What should I do?

e: I guess this is technically advice but I think it fits the spirit of this thread the best.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Man I'm going crazy trying to clone out all of the dust/sand I had on my sensor from changing lenses in a sand storm. Those stupid desert shots have so much sky all of the spots are visible. I'm at 100% with my face up against the monitor and now the floaties moving around in my eyes are confusing me. :argh:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sevn posted:

To me, the great photographers are the ones with the skill to do something consistently, they don't rely on getting lucky and they don't rely on being in the right place at the right time. They know what to look for and they know what kind of shot they want ahead of time.

Sure, luck is great for some things, such as light when you are shooting outside. But even with planning you can still get good shots if you know what to look for. I guess that is what it boils down to, knowing what to look for and knowing how to use your camera in that situation.
I agree with this. Consistent quality is what defines a good photographer for me. Being lucky once in a while doesn't make you good. But I will say that a good photographer knows how to and puts forth the effort required to be in the right place at the right time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

HPL posted:

A good quality film point and shoot like a Contax T2 or whatever is good to have as a "just in case" camera because it's small, compact and quick to use, but delivers great quality when called upon so you can enjoy yourself, but still get a photo if there's one of those "holy crap" moments.
This. I almost always have an XA on me. I bring out the dslr when I purposefully go out to take photos. This system works out great for me when I travel (all the time). I end up taking more with the film p&s and it gets frustrating having to wait months to be able to see/post anything I shoot but I've taken so many photos with the XA I personally enjoy on occasions when I know I wouldn't have had the dslr. Being a photographer means you take pictures and having a camera with you is a requirement for that.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sevn posted:

hung
ha

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Just imagine SSD + 16gb RAM :smug:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Just bought a small Intuos5. I'll let you know how I like it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Those guys at LensRentals are hilarious.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thought this was pretty neat: Time lapse from the ISS

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah that's pretty cool.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does anyone know the name of the photographer who takes star trail photos in the salt flats or deserts of Austrailia (I think)? I think he was in the Post Awesome Photographers thread. I remember they almost looked abstract with the horizon so flat and the starts circling directly over the horizon.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah that's the guy. Love how easy it is to find something in the DR even with such an obscure recollection. Thanks.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

XTimmy posted:

How is that achieved, I would have thought on a digital camera that such a long exposure would cause dead-pixels on the sensor. Let alone the actual logistics, how does one tell the shutter to stay open for 9 hours?

(Sound like a right newbie here but am I right in thinking he'd take an image every X minutes then blend them together?)
Basically yeah. Here is a good tutorial.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Cyberbob posted:

Anyone know of a free app/webpage that'll tell you precisely what direction sun/moon rise/set will be located?

I know of TPE etc, but it's a little expensive for my tastes.

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/the-photographers-ephemeris/id366195670?mt=8
There's also stellarium which is pretty awesome and free.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Can anyone ballpark what focal length this was shot at?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimgoldstein/6350041748/

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I was thinking short tele as well. Trying to decide if a longer focal length will lead to a higher or lower density of trails in the frame.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I went with a Lenovo W510. It has the option for a discrete video card, i7, 4 slots for RAM so I upgraded to 16gb, 14.x" full gamut monitor, built in color calibration, SSD hard drive... Love it for editing. Not exactly cheap though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
There's a little color sensor down near the touch pad. Huey Pro is included and reminds you to calibrate every few weeks or whatever. To calibrate you start the program and close the laptop (close the lid?) and it runs through the calibration. Takes about a minute. Seems to work well.