Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This reminds me of that pinhole camera they made out of that airplane hangar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

:3: My pelican case came in, so I am bragging here. Now I am protected against all sort of weather issues, or if someone is trying to run over my camera. And it makes a great bludgeoning weapon in case someone is trying to mug me.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I have a hard time believing that there weren't any warning signs from his portfolio. Still, that sucks. I like the misspelled thank-you cards too.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

It also makes it awkward when people talk about how AWESOME this HDR/picture of a friend/selective color/picture they took is. It's especially awkward when they know you're a photographer and they're looking for approval. I have yet to find a polite way to give an honest opinion; usually I just go "eeeeeeeehh" and try to dodge the question.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

brad industry posted:

FACT: all girls go through a photography stage. It's usually right after horses.

An alarming amount (of boys and girls) also go through a writer and artist phase. If you're lucky, it's not anime slash :cry:

edit: I am so sick of seeing of "artistic" saturation blown-out etc etc pictures on my facebook feed. At least most of them are getting over this now, I don't see nearly as many "omg I just got an awesome new camera!!" (read as: 99% canon Xsi for some reason)

nonanone fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 22, 2009

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm just bitching, but after I shot a fashion show last weekend, the show coordinator already lifted my pictures off of facebook to post as her own photo album. I left a nice little note "reminding" her to credit me, but here's to remembering to watermark the poo poo out of everything even if you think no one but friends is going to see it.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yes, I should have known better. At least it's not like they're high rez or anything. However, now she is trying to tell me that models own "half the copyright" so that's why her modeling agency can use them for "self promotion". :downs: I don't feel like arguing it, so as long as she gives me credit on facebook, I'm letting it go this time. This is mostly only because she is adding me to her list of photogs at the agency, otherwise I'd educate her a little more. I'm watermarking the poo poo out of everything after this though, it's amazing what people think they have the "right" to do.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I feel like they already had a show about fashion photographers sort of Top Model-style and it sucked really bad. It would be nice if it were good, but I'm certainly not expecting it to.

edit: ^^^ that's the show I'm thinking of, but I can't remember if it was on Bravo. Also that picture scares me.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yup, although you want to make sure you get that middle part or people will crop your watermark RIGHT OUT.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I would wear a camera helmet paired with a photo vest.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

squidflakes posted:

AND one of those camera holster snugglies.

please tell me these exist.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The problem I have with those type of holsters is that if you miss by 1 inch your camera just went plummeting into the ground.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

If anything, photographs like these always remind me that they are just people like everyone else. A refreshing point of view.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

This is strangely addictive to watch. I think the british accents make it extra fun :D

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

That is really cool. If you're gonna get a tourist photo anyways, you might as well get one that will look awesome.

I know somebody who had a portrait done with one of the old school super large polaroids (like 3x6 feet large) hanging on their wall. Just imagine how big that camera must have been.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I like the last one. He looks so ...cool. :D

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

Is there a particular type of double sided tape that you fashion shooters use?

For what? As far as I know, everyone just uses gaffers tape, including me. Are you talking about for clothes? Stylist takes care of all that.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

From what I know, usually clothes are pinned. Otherwise, if you're not real good with pins, you can try bra-tape that women use to tape in no-strap bras. Honestly, just normal double sided poster tape would probably work fine.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm excited, I'm shooting film for the first time tomorrow. MF fun :D (I know, I know)

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Speaking of "fags", my boyfriend just got me a not-in-print really nice Mapplethorpe poster (unfortunately, apparently it's impossible to find Man in polyester suit)....I've been looking for non-flower Mapplethorpe for ages. The guy he bought it from threw in a postcard of a Mapplethorpe self portrait too. :D

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Nope, the self portrait is the one in front of a pentagram with a machine gun. Too bad.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I really like his marketing plan. It could be applied to all sorts of things.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

spog posted:

To be fair, most successful fashion models have a tendency to look like a bag of bones with all the sexual appeal of a coatrack.

But to drift back to seriousness, I've always wondered about the disconnect between what is considered 'attractive' in the fashion world, compared the the glamour world.

I think it's primarily because it's what makes the clothes look best (thinner, taller frames), and fashion people tend to like more unique and striking faces rather than the same old same old. Also, a lot of the models look amazingly normal or even uglyish without all the intensive hair and makeup and clothes.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Sure, could do one...anything you'd like to hear about particular, keeping in mind that I'm not in the major cogs of the industry?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Haha "What f-stop did you use?" "I used a tripod"

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So I think I need to start carrying a step ladder with me or get platform shoes because I am just too short. I'm at 5'4" and the people I photograph who are taller than me I catch a weird lower angle. I'm not quite eye level, when I happen to get to a taller vantage, I think the photo comes out better.

I carry a little stool with me just for this, I'm 5'1". It comes in handy anyways, usually the makeup and stylist people are pretty short too (in comparison to models anyways), and they can use it too!

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Haggins posted:

Anyway back to the fun...

This is a pretty interesting link, especially if you hate microstock. Maybe microstock won't take over the world after all?

Saw this and laughed, and the comments are even better. Unfortunately, I doubt this will change anybody's mind, the kind of person that goes "who cares, it looks better/is cheaper/has more diversity" isn't likely to care about the fact that other companies are using the same image. It's always a struggle to get people to understand that anywhere, you have to weigh quality against cost.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm also one of those that doesn't take a lot of photos, even though I don't shoot film at all. I just work on knowing when I've got it, and not taking more than necessary. I think by having an end-goal in mind, it really helps. Plus, who wants to sort through tons of photos anyways? (half of which are the same anyways) I feel like being efficient is important part of getting work done, and I feel like the people who take thousands of photos often aren't very sure what they want exactly.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I find the vast majority of models and people are really relieved to be done so quickly, and often offer an anecdote about how a lot of other photographers take upwards of 8 hours/fill up 5+ cards. I've never seen anybody disappointed that I work fast.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Reminds of the discussion on a friend's little brother's facebook wall that's currently going on about how all modern art is totally devoid of any sort of artistic value. Except they keep using the word Modern as an era, and his "photographer" friends keeps talking about how they keep being judged so harshly in class, and it's totally unfair how art has to be controversial or of naked people, and why aren't their photos of normal (read as: boring) people doing normal (boring) things (photographed boringly) totally just as good?

I had to try really hard to keep my mouth shut, but I think it was for the better. One "photographer" (he kept calling himself one anyways) shot only plastic fisheye. Yes, that's art, right there.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

See, this is some nice HDR. It doesn't wreck the image by forcing your eyes to try to focus on everything or scan around constantly like the muddy water floor reflection one. The pictures start out interesting enough as is, and the HDR provides a much stronger range of color and detail that takes an already good picture and turns it into a great picture. HDR is the "cool thing to do" now so it's constantly misused, to the point where these three pictures probably wouldn't even register as HDR to your average joe because they're used to the massive contrast eye bleeding you see all the time.

...don't mind the halos and insane saturation, totally wouldn't register as HDR

Edit: This thread is horrifying.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

yea I think there were some beefs between http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo-Secession and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_f/64 it's gangster.

I have not seen one yet, can you explain more about how crazy it is?

I've seen a couple, they're all super detailed and reflective, and then they're in these neat old glass cases. Tintypes are pretty cool too, and much less delicate, so it's basically like a tin photograph.

I think my Hist of photog prof said that he got his off ebay, so they must not be that hard to find. It's worth holding one at least once.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

No one should ever want a vest like that.

Who wears all khaki clothing like that anyways? No one should ever wear all khaki like that either. Maybe if you're going on a safari.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm getting a G11 and I'm more psyched than when I got my 5D. I think it's because it means mobility and fun, whereas the 5D represents seriousness and hard work, haha.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Meh. I like that it exists, but I much prefer something I can carry in my pants pockets.

An aperture is not sensor-size specific.

Girl pockets. I can't carry anything in them, so anything reasonably convenient that I can fit in a purse is fair game. I could probably do a with a better camera phone too.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Those stock photos are hilarious.

Anyways I'm at MBFW swim in Miami. It's really hot and humid. There's sand everywhere (and beautiful people, makes me feel short and squat).

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Good news! I made into the film class I wanted, and the prof is going to let me use a friend's hassel. So now I'll get to learn the mysterious ways of the darkroom. Also, nyfw!

On Terry Richardson, I definitely feel the same way as spedmen. His photography has a lot of merit, but it's kind of creepy and predatory. I always feel like of skeezy looking at his stuff.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I'm a little divided about it because while there's definitely a lot "well, how could you not know this was coming" the models are also under a lot of pressure to do pretty questionable stuff overall. For example, one young model I knew moved to NYC, and the first thing I hear is "she used to be against nudes, but now she's learned what she has to do haha." :( I mean, the models have the least control over anything unless she's big-shot.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

That's sad, but also the reason why I won't start on film. I'm taking a film class so I keep thinking, well I could just make my own darkroom and get my own set up and oh yeah that money thing... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

This really makes me upset on your behalf. That's really horrible. I'm sorry about that.

A model decided to put some images from the contact sheet I sent her on fb as her profile picture and I almost flipped out.

That's why I never give models anything but low-rez final photos because otherwise they do things like "oh I'll just 'fix' it up for facebook" and slap filter after filter on it and then it's really embarrassing if my name is ever attached. Whenever's that happened though, a sternly worded email usually takes care of it.