Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Martytoof posted:

Pentax in space, bitches!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arena5/sets/72157606119049987/

this is pretty amazing from an space engineering pov. not that it was able to withstand operation in a vacuum but that it the k10d may be considered space rated (though it probably needs to go through thermal cycling).

Also, I think a Nikon is used on the ISS to take photos of earth as a part of an experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Martytoof posted:

As far as cameras in space go, all I can imagine is the mirror slapping open and sending a camera twirling in zero-g. I'm sure that violates some law of thermodynamics but I can't help but laugh.

cameras mounted on probes and satellites require quite a bit of isolation and shock absorption from any vibration from the spacecraft (reaction wheels/CMGs/ et al). For something like Hubble, well, I would hate to be working on their attitude, determination, and control (ADC or ACS) team because they probably have pointing requirement of keeping some miliarcsecond precision over the course of a week.

On that note. here's the gibbis thread on the new Hubble photos: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3198607

also:

evil_bunnY posted:

Well it does slap back down a fraction of a second later 8)

p much. momentum's conserved.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Four Banger posted:

Oh yeah, AND he charges the people 5 bucks a pop to get their picture taken, FOR HIS PROJECT.

PT Barnum is posthumously patting this guy on the back

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Cyberbob posted:

I loved The Fountain as a film, I'll have to rewatch it for the cinematography.

worth mentioning the fountain used no CGI for the nebula/bubble special effects

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

notlodar posted:

I went to William Eggleston's new show, got his autograph, and then ripped in in half when I got in to the first fight with the girl I'm in love with :sweatdrop:

you seem to have a lot of relationship issues that come out in dorkroom threads.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

stealing this from LF to post here:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

well wait those million years and maybe sensor prices will go down. :)

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Wooten posted:

I think these days its just about paying to do it yourself and trying to sell the photos later, unless you already work for some kind of publication. I think the trick is being independently wealthy or having the ability to get a hefty grant or loan.

Seriously, how do people go about selling photos? I'm pretty far removed from the actual photog community but I think I have a few shots from my trip to Kashmir that might be publishing worthy.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

^ heh just browse all the photographer pages your friends are fans of. babby's first dslr

i bought an asus netbook for my trip to kashmir for just getting pics from my SD card and some music now and then. lil guy performed well and lasts 5 hours on a charge (well, as opposed to the advertised 8)

it's great to just have lying around the apartment and a lot more comfortable than my phone to browse on. then again, it couldn't even properly play HD video my DSLR took :(

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

well this thread grew and i'll withhold my kill the troops comments.

That Leica review's pretty pathetic. As a counterpoint, wasn't there a photo of a Leica that got shot and stopped a bullet?

e: ^ i hate to judge by a few low res examples, but my pentax k7 does better at high iso in daylight if i were to look at a thumbnail that large

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 7, 2010

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

heh, my employer invented the digital camera :smug:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

tuyop posted:

Yeah, it's IR spotlights and stuff that you have to be worried about.

On our new rifle attachments there's a huge infrared spotlight. I had a headache for two days when my body shined it in my eyes. I couldn't see any light or anything special (because I wasn't wearing IR goggles), but there's still a shitload energy in the beam. I'm not really worried because I don't have my camera when I have a rifle, but just a heads-up. Some video camera systems use something slightly similar.

on the same topic, green lasers are frequency doubled meaning that it gets pumped from ~1000 nm to ~500 nm. On poor quality imported green lasers there's no IR filter and poor conversion so there's an IR halo around the green point.

tuyop posted:

On our new rifle attachments there's a huge infrared spotlight. I had a headache for two days when my body shined it in my eyes. I couldn't see any light or anything special (because I wasn't wearing IR goggles), but there's still a shitload energy in the beam. I'm not really worried because I don't have my camera when I have a rifle, but just a heads-up. Some video camera systems use something slightly similar.

wiki posted:

Infrared lasers are particularly hazardous, since the body's protective "blink reflex" response is triggered only by visible light. For example, some people exposed to high power Nd:YAG laser emitting invisible 1064 nm radiation, may not feel pain or notice immediate damage to their eyesight. A pop or click noise emanating from the eyeball may be the only indication that retinal damage has occurred i.e. the retina was heated to over 100 °C resulting in localized explosive boiling accompanied by the immediate creation of a permanent blind spot.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

wow, some people just dont know anything about physics.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

i used an HDR photo of mine for an old GBS PS thread where I turned it into a scene from stalker. like a dozen people emailed me to ask for the original :3:

also, i think my hdr phase lasted like 6 months. i dunno if that's forgivable or not.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

quick game of identify the camera:

Someone posted this on CL saying it's kodak and knows nothing else. Selling it for $30. Is it a Brownie? What film would it shoot?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

That's what I was worried about - I'm not going to want to respool or shave down 120 spools. Forget it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

torgeaux posted:

My first digital was the Mavica FD, using the 1.4MB 3.5 inch floppies. I still have those floppy disks somewhere. Of course, I have no computer with a floppy drive.

My father bought one a few years ago as a gimmick.

He's always had a thing about collecting cameras and never using them. I hobby that has definitely benefited me.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

^^ doh!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Yay, welcome back. Didn't Dorkasaurus get banned as well?

Yeah, FYAD purge of LF.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

That chart is me.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Ditching your Pentax kit (don't know which body it is) won't get you enough money to reinvest in a different line up, fyi. This is especially the case if you're shooting with manual focus lenses. The FA line is seriously great bang for the buck, but their prices have gone up a lot in the past few years.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I use my K10D to loan out to friends. That's about as much use as it gets nowadays.

I'd look into FA lenses that come up on pentaxforums marketplace as there's typically reasonable deals to be had. FA zooms are pretty cheap and sharp (I got my FA telephoto for $40 that was lost somewhere in a ritz camera and have no complaints except it's not fast). If having slow, non-AF glass is your issues then you might be able to fix that for cheaper than a switch over unless you just want to borrow lenses from friends.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Repeat after me: Am I under arrest or am I free to go, offissah?

seriously one of the most important things to know

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Why do people care so much about straps?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

geeves posted:

I didn't realize how bad the HDR problem really was until I looked into the ghettos of Flickr and found this group

they're really pretty :confused:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

And the good ones look like screenshots from video games.

I can't decide if that's a slight against video games, or the photographer.

Back when I did HDR, I used one of my photos for a photoshop thread in GBS where you photoshop game HUD scenes into real photos. I did one of stalker and people thought I lifted it from the game: http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x119/drstrangeluv25/STALKER.jpg

I'd like to think my photography & ps has improved a bit since :3:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Martytoof posted:

You mean I'm not supposed to put the real ones in there?

Hey, if you had invested in the pentax weather resistant lenses...

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

It amazes me how high up you can be, and still resolve points in a city. He gets from Israel to Tunisia and you can still pick out Cairo.

low earth orbit isn't very far away. the space station is 173 miles away and if you run the calcs for how well you can resolve a point source from a distance (in space, darkness, etc) you'd be really surprised.

math stuff below:
Threshold Intensity/observing area = Radiated Power/Surface Area = R. Power / (4 Pi dist^2). E = planck constant * speed of light / wavelength (planck & speed of light are constants & wavelength is between 400-600 nm). Use a threshold intensity, eg human eye will trigger on ~5 photons, and area, pi (5 mm)^2

so assuming a 10 W red light bulb:

5/(pi (5 mm)^2) = 10/(h c/600 nm) / (4 pi r^2) and solve for r.

god im bored

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 2, 2010

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

spog posted:

http://gizmodo.com/5678601/what-your-choice-of-camera-says-about-you

What Your Choice of Camera Says About You

gently caress it i wanna buy a sigma camera. :smug:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

it's the max distance that you can observe a light source with perfect seeing and no other light. it's also AP level physics fwiw

also made an error. gunna edit in a correction.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 2, 2010

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

RangerScum posted:

Let's stop talking about math now, please.

:qq:

Captain Postal posted:

so if 5 are needed (and I don't think this is correct - the fovea responds to 5 photons, but the brain doesn't precess the signal, but assuming it is correct)

I vaguely remember that from an old physics q. I just remember it was on that order of magnitude. Looks like it's around 9 absorbed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_threshold#Vision

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

whoa this is awesome

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

quote:

Mamiya Pistol Camera

From 1954 this is a 35mm film half-frame camera. Designed as a police training device. Features a fixed focus 45mm f5.6 Sekor lens. Has a single shutter speed. Only 250 have been known to exist.
http://www.samys.com/index/page/product/product_id/34727/product_name/Pistol+Camera

I've heard of these and drat they sound cool.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

hey dorkroom, does this sound like an nice opportunity to buy poo poo and turn for a profit?
http://slo.craigslist.org/ele/1994978155.html

quote:

Canon Power Winder A
Focal DA-500S Zoom Bounce Flash, W/Case
Toyo Optics 500mm F:8 Mirror Lens, W/CaseFocal MC Auto Zoom 1:3.5 f=80-200mm Lens

Canon Lens FD 24mm 1:2.8 W/Bag
3 Cables (various lengths)
Sekonic Auto-Lumi Model L-158 Exposure Meter
Mamiya M645 Roll Film Camera w/Mamiya-Sekor C 80mm f/2.8 lense
misc
Much more, Misc Manuals, Books, Filters, Camera bag with change pocket.
Canon Lens 28mm 1:28, W/Case
Tamron SP CF Macro Lens 35-80mm 1:28-3.8
Canon AE-1 Camera Body W/ Tamrac Camera Case
Soligor MC Auto Tele Converter 2X to fit Canon FD W/case
Rexatar F/3.8/ 35 105mm Zoom 67 (coated lense) W/case
Canon Lens FD 50mm 1:1.4
Canon A-1 Camera Body
Focal MC Auto Zoom 1:3.5 f=80-200mm Lens
Canon Lens FD 24mm 1:2.8 W/Bag
3 Cables (various lengths)
Sekonic Auto-Lumi Model L-158 Exposure Meter
Mamiya M645 Roll Film Camera w/Mamiya-Sekor C 80mm f/2.8 lense
misc
Much more, Misc Manuals, Books, Filters, Camera bag with change pocket.
The lot = $350.00

The extra copy/paste is theirs. I wonder how reselling all of it to keh would go? I figured the Mamiya 645 and 80 mm f/2.8 should do $300 at least if in decent condition?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Update: the guy from CL refuses to list the condition of the stuff, insisting I just come and buy it. It's also 140+ miles away and my friend close wouldn't know what to look for.

I think I'll pass unless someone's around Santa Barbara.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Is anyone doing the NatGeo photo contest? I have a lot of photos from Kashmir that would probably fare well, but the $15/photo to enter is pretty $$.

Has anyone had any experiences or have advice on whether or not I should do anything?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Fists Up posted:

Maybe you could post some of your favourites here and get a vote on the best for entering?

There's a lot I can post, but here's a few - not even my favorites:

quote:

Whats the link to the competition?

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/photo-contest/faq/

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

It'd just take forever to find & go through them - let alone just not wanting to see some of the photos. I just picked out a few photos that I thought would stand out.

Either way, probably not worth the $15 x N. Whatever.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

aviation week was like $100 i think. i actually spat out my coffee IRL upon reading it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

hmm, he teaches a few miles from me. maybe i should enroll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

HEY DORKROOM! I HEARD YOU GUYS LIKE MY AERIAL PHOTOS

If so, here's an opportunity to support me via Kickstarter:
http://kck.st/h5Wht4

I'm starting a project to take photos of LA. I have pilots and planes - all I need is your valuable, hard-earned money. I'll give you prints & stuff in return. If you live in LA, I'll take a photo of your house!

(Brad, if this is bad - I can edit it out :( )