Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Sadi posted:

How is this different than the EV meter at the bottom of a view finder?

What's even crazier is using a human brain to figure out if your stuff is properly exposed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
this is also why you have a good contract

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
The funny thing is, with the exception of the HORRENDOUS ones, most of those are par for the course if you do a search for <Firstname Lastname> Photography in Facebook groups and fan pages

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

Canon 1200mm f/5.6L EF USM Only $120,000 - used - comes with free lens cover!

autofocus motor is too noisy im not going to buy it

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

brad industry posted:

FACT: all girls go through a photography stage. It's usually right after horses.

And right before Boone's.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Augmented Dickey posted:

I don't know why anyone would buy that in this day and age, don't they have SLR adapters for telescopes now?

Which I'm sure would be lovely wide open at F/22

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
That guy is a goddamn moron. If I didn't know the backstory I wouldn't have taken a second glance at those photos. Maybe it's because I'm more of a rally guy myself, but there's no reason for this idiot to risk his life like that. I have a lot of respect for the bullet-dodging documentary guys, but the line is drawn before standing where a race car can hit you.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Ric posted:

You spastic. I cannot comprehend why you would do this, or tell anyone.

Yeah I mean people do wierd things but I would be extremely embarrassed to post about this

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
What kind of scrilla are you paying for that place, Brad?

Also, are there any issues one has to worry about when renting (I assume you're renting) a live-in commercial space?

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
The video part is interesting, too. I highly doubt the Aperture demographic does a lot of video on the whole, though.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

I'm pretty gracious to beginner photographers or some commercial techniques but selective coloring really really pisses me off.

I posted this in the wedding thread already, but a client recently specifically asked that I do that to some of their frames. I don't want my name to be within 100 yards of those finished files.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

BobTheCow posted:

Definitely not. If it's in the picture, it's in the picture.

Yep. You're going to get your balls busted WIDE open if you do anything but the adjustments you mentioned in your previous post. PJ ethics are very, very strict.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

tuyop posted:

I really like the Visuals by Laforet app. He does make me feel really bad about my own photographic abilities, though... :(

thank goodness I can finally know what the proper settings are to get a good shot of the new york skyline

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

ease posted:

Here is a new topic.

If you shoot Nikon, how do you feel about Canon, and if you shoot Canon how do you feel about Nikon?

I shoot Canon, and feel that Nikon is for douchebags, since my stepfather shoots Nikon.

canon has more megapixels but nikon has better bokeh so its really hard to choose

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Helmacron posted:

EDIT: It would be perfect if it had the zoom, I should add.

well that and the new fisheye effect

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, I know a dude in town who's shooting pretty much all 35 and 120 for everything but the ceremony, when he uses his 5D2's.

Shooting weddings on film makes sense when you can automatically up charge a few grand for it :|

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

HPL posted:

The key to photo walks is to do something different from the rest of the pack. Zig when everyone else zags. The key is to do it stealthily because if you don't inevitably other people on the walk will see you do it and copy you.

sounds like the key to photo walks is going by yourself

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Mannequin posted:

I never got a response back. I'm sure he found somebody who was like "Sure!!! You can use my image!" Also, I was being pretty generous too. $125 for full rights is not bad at all. But whatever.

To be honest, you could have been a bit less smarmy in your response. I know that a photo credit isn't worth signing over rights, but half the time people don't even know that.

I don't know, I'm usually pretty cordial when it comes to stuff like this because you never know who's going to be a future client. (for example, I turned down a job that was going to pay in gift cards but I was nice about it and they ended up booking me for 2 paid jobs after)

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Mannequin posted:

Harlan Ellison is right. Do you think the guy setting up the project is getting paid? What about the contractor? What about the real estate developer? What about the printing company who has to print the fliers and the web developer working on the town website? Everyone is getting paid but there's no budget for a tiny little photo? I think you have to be tough with these people. And if this person or company doesn't buy an image from me in the future because of my candid response on flickr there's a part of me that doesn't particularly care. They're assholes. But I also have faith that I can sell other images or get other jobs, and I don't need them anyway.

I'm not saying that they're right by any means, but I'm consistently surprised with how many people I deal with really have no idea how photography pricing (or anything to do with photography) works - especially since Flickr would probably seem like a place for hobbyists to dump their photos to most people. Again, not saying they're right - but more often than not I've found that people are simply ignorant, not making an attempt to pull the wool over your eyes.

But suit yourself - all I was saying was that you never know when someone you've come into contact in the past is going to switch companies, maybe even to one with actual budgets. I'd much rather send someone a politely worded email declining use of my work / a job than send them a snarky note preaching about how valuable photographers are. The actual assholes that deserve a note like that won't care.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

built in color calibration

How does this work?

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

East Lake posted:

Correction. Smaller than full frame. The perfect companion to your wood grain sigma, and only 5000 euro.

The specs on this thing make it look like they used focus groups to nail down the features that give you the biggest possible swinging dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

squidflakes posted:

So one of the grip material options is authentic K-Rock approved elephant foreskin?

and a convenient 2nd charger so you can always have fresh batteries at your dental practice.