Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Martytoof posted:

While we're on the subject of magazines, Google just published copies of LIFE magazine from the 1930s through 1970 (I think) in their entirety, ads intact.

This is great, only the other day i was trying to see if i could download past issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

This is great, thanks.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Eyes start going funny after a while.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Suppose if that's what your passionate about you would go to those sort of lengths to get the pictures you wanted, same with war photographers and the like, its no different from lying in a bunker with bombs going off around you while yur trying to get the shot.

I couldn't imagine doing it, because I don't really have a great interest in wildlife, on the other hand i could easily see myself camping out with the homeless or whatever because that's what interests me, so you do what you have to.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

BobTheCow posted:

Ease, I'm not sure if you're joking or serious, but I've been working on a project with the homeless for a few months now and I'd be happy to shed some light on that. Protip: good relationships are infinitely more valuable than long glass. :)

Yep, save money on the glass and go and talk to a few.

Any links to your project? would love to see something.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Helmacron posted:

That's the market I dream of getting into. Doing something so ridiculous, people find you and pay you for it.

gently caress weddings. gently caress portrait photography and making a collage of artsy cafe photographs. What about those long range photographs into North Korea? What about James Nachtwey visiting the sulfur mines. What about Kevin Carter ala Bang Bang Club. How do you get into that short of buying a camera and sneaking into a warzone and who the hell will you get to publish your picture, on account of everyone having a camera phone? Does National Geographic still insist on using only slides and negatives?

Also, on an unrelated note: I saw that picture of the vulture and the starving child, and I bet, despite whatever Kevin Carter said to the vindictive media before he asphyxiated himself, if you could see the rest of that film role, it's everything up to the vulture pecking the child's eyes out and gouging out the child's tongue. Does everyone else think this?

The child in question in that kevin carter photograph was only a few metres from a food camp if I remember rightly, and alot of the criticism that came his way for "not helping but photographing" was unjust.

Being in the right place at the right time, making your own luck, being good at what you do and being passionate about the things you photograph, and most of all being persistent, really really persistent is what it takes to become a good photojournalist. But you have to put the hours in, alot of them.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

5'6" :(

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

poo poo poo poo poo poo.

going to my girlfriends dads sons christening tonight and he's sprung on me an hour before that he wants me to take over picture duty while he gets up on the alter and stuff, luckily he has Pro nikons but still, im scared.

Everythings going to be ok isnt it guys?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

squidflakes posted:

Your girlfriend's brother's christening will be just fine.

Well half brother.

Taking my 7d and 50 1.4 anyway, probably not enough reach with it though.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Well that went well...

As a long time canon user I was handed a D3 with SB800 (I think) and told I wouldn't be taking a "few shots" I was doing the whole thing, needless to say my girlfriend was mortified, and is still quite angry. At this point all the blood drained from my body and I went into tunnel vision, then he said "just get creative" and I nearly fainted.

I couldn't find loving shutter speed, aperture, any flash controls, ANYTHING. The priest then shows me to where Im standing and talks to me for a few minutes about the routine ( I have no idea I've never been christened and am in no way religious) then it starts, and the flash feels like its got half a charge, I get a few shots, really poo poo shots, then as the priest is going on about stuff I quickly try to concentrate and figure out the controls, i find the mode button and switch to shutter speed (was previously on Program, stuck at half a second or some stupid poo poo) but the flash wont fire over 20th of a second, to any nikon user this is probably fine because your used to the system and know how to change it, I didn't.

I'm seriously nearly having a heart attack at this point, all hope was gone. I get a few more shots then the little boy gets his head splashed with the holy water, and the flash wont fire, i keep pressing but it will not fire, and i swear the only reason it did fire was because god himself was feeling sorry for me.

it wasn't fine guys, it wasn't fine at all.

EDIT: All of this happened withing a 20 minute period, and from the time i was given the camera to the time I was told where to sit by the priest was about 3 minutes.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

orange lime posted:

Why the big deal?

I still wanted good photos, as all photographers do I think, so its frustrating when you cant get them.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

orange lime posted:

Good point. Hopefully the guy who insisted you use his D3 isn't some kind of gear nut who decided that your 7D wasn't good enough or something?

Mannequin posted:

I guess the real question is, why the hell were you using somebody else's camera to take pictures of an important event?

He is a bit of a gear nut, and i didn't have have anything but my pop up flash for the 7d so he thought it would be best to give me the nikon.

EDIT: Missed that argument on the last page, I could quite easily have learned the camera within half an hour (at least most of what I needed) but I had absolutely no prep time at all.

I can now say I have a deep down hatred that I don't think I will ever be able to get rid of for Nikon products haha :)

fronkpies fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 20, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

ease posted:

I kept hearing them ask each other why everything is coming out so grainy(noise is what they meant) and dark, but I didn't interject to help, I dunno. Not really my place to tell them how to use their camera.

Could have helped a couple of people get nice photos though?

I probably would have left it though aswell.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

TsarAleksi posted:

Right, but the way I interpreted it, they never thought that they were deliberately killing civilians. Unless you're some kind of LF conspiracy nut who thinks they were lying to get permission to fire, the chatter makes them really unsympathetic in human terms but it says nothing in terms of their intention to kill innocents.

True, in no way did they think they where killing civilians, they where hostiles and they though they had spotted weapons and fire, 99% of the time they would be right, they have probably killed hundreds in the same manner, and rightly so. Its just that this time they got it very wrong, any they should have taken more time to assess the situation.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

poopinmymouth posted:

Anyone apologizing for the actions inside the video is human scum. hth

Just to clarify I agree completely, But I do understand how and why it can happen.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

brad industry posted:

It's also pretty clear they have been trained to say certain things in order to be clear under the rules of war. It goes from "We see one guy maybe holding something" to "crowd of 20 hostiles with 5 guns firing and a RPG" in the same breath.

Also to dehumanize their enemy, soldiers are trained like that from the first day they sign up, tango, raghead, gook, insurgent, krout, there all the same word basically.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Kazy posted:

So the CS5 announcement is in an hour, is there a thread anywhere for that? I only found threads about Content Aware Fill specifically.

I need to grab it while I still have a student discount. I just hope LR3 comes out while I'm still in school.

I don't think there is a thread.

Im just waiting for that online launch to start now, should be good.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

There all far to happy in that launch, annoying.

Content aware fill still what there plugging most.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

orange lime posted:

Three, actually -- he used the wrong "to". And neither sentence is syntactically correct.

pwn posted:

They're. Contraction of they + are. They're.

Please forgive me, I have brought shame upon myself and my family.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Penpal posted:

had a SUPER
BIG
loving
ANNOYING
facebook thing with a douche friend of mine, concerning this exact thing. I really only consider him a friend because he's another photographer, and they're rare around here.

Click this if you want to read the entire thing, I'm Kevin and he's Matthew (matteo).

He has his middle name set to "fixie" because he loves Fixed Gears so much. Yeah, he's "that" guy.

Dont start a flame war my friend. My friend. My friend.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

tuyop posted:

So is film at all like digital where you can take like 150 shots in a couple of hours and have only eight that are anything but mediocre and only three that are worth showing anybody? Isn't that insanely expensive?

I know when I started with film I had alot more keepers, but that's because I was always aware of how many rolls I had and the cost of buying more. I can't recommend it enough for improving your photography though, when I got my first camera (nikon d40) I sort of pottered around firing randomly and got a few okay street shots, I never thought I was any good but I was impressed, and sort of grew into a false sense of security, then when I switched to film it all changed. Film forces you to learn the craft alot more, well it did for me anyway.

Plus it rids you of that nagging "well my camera is only 6 mp, where as his or her camera is 12mp so my photos wont be as good until i get that 12mp camera" which can haunt alot of beginners, and serious photographers aswell I suppose. I bought an A1 and shot tri x, there's no excuses then, your shooting with the same film as all the past greats so you have to come up with another way to improve.

plus when you add it up the cost it is tiny.

Canon A1 with 50mm £70
1 Roll of trix £2.70 x 100 = £270

7D £1200

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

If you have liveview you can do the double zoom in and be like, psh I can do that too. Or take a picture and zoom way in.

I've gotten tired trying to explain that dSLRs dont use zoom by multiplication numbers (I know you can divide the high end of the focal length by the lowest end to get a rough approximation but people look at my 70-200 and say 3times zoom? MY FIVE YEAR OLD CAMERA CAN DO MORE THAN THAT)

I just say 200 times if I'm using my 70-200, and they just respond, "oh... wow!"

I don't show off my gear, I would just nod and say "ah" and "hmm" if somebody was telling me how great there point and shoot was, but if they seriously went over the top, being a dick about it, I would just say "this camera cost more than your car".

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Mannequin posted:

What a mess. Remind me, if I ever reach celebrity status with a salary of $2 million a year at a big fashion magazine, not to take out risky million-dollar loans or to live millions of dollars above my means.

I've worked for alot of millionaires over the past few years, and probably half of them live beyond there means, everyone can see it except them.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

brad industry posted:

Please tell me your going to do it? Please?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You could put a 5d mkII sensor in a camera phone and it still wouldn't make dslr's obsolete, sure it would give you better quality pictures out of your camera phone but that doesn't mean everyone is going to give up there fully functioning camera.

Sure, my iphone, 7d and eos 3 are all cameras, but there's a reason I always have my real cameras with me. I don't need to explain why either because anyone reading this already knows the massive difference there is between the formats.

I cant see any pro or serious amateur using anything other than an slr (also range finder/mf/lf etc.) because even if the camera phone had a great sensor, full manual controls and hotshoe, its still a loving phone with a camera.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

torgeaux posted:

You know, the picture below is nothing special, just another shot of the boy at the park (just before he tried to get down from there and fell and hit his head on the concrete apron...no injury, but oh the crying). But, I was putting the pictures up on flickr and noticed it looked really sharp, and I thought I had shot wide open. I checked, and I had, in fact, shot wide open. 85mm f/1.8 at 1.8. Just a great lens. I love this lens.

God I want one so bad, but on a crop a wide angle must come first. :cry:

You should shoot some wide open full face portraits with that thing.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

http://www.diyphotography.net/23-pinhole-cameras-that-you-can-build-at-home

Might have to try a couple of these.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

For any UK goons one of my photos should be getting used on northwest tonight (ok so you have to be in the northwest) so if you happen to be watching, the birdnest is mine.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Wooten posted:

For some reason the question I always get asked is "what are you taking pictures of?". My response is always "everything, man".

"People when there not looking" Is always my response to that question, followed straight away by "fancy a quick portrait?"

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

HPL posted:

God dammit if only he had used a Leica with Tri-X this wouldn't be an issue.

Ha, thinking the same thing.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Has the old project thread gone?

Im starting what I think will be my first big project next week and was thinking would anyone be interested in a thread about how its progressing?

My and my friends all grew up on a really rough council estate in liverpool, and its based around the friends that never really moved on and the monotony of there lives, which just revolves around drink and drugs.

It's a really big issue in the UK right now, the young, unemployed estate youth that spend all there welfare on vodka and cocaine, its something I really care about so I think it would be a great first photographic project.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

squidflakes posted:

Can I suggest you call it "Chav Shots!"

There by no means chavs, two of them especially are very intelligent.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

squidflakes posted:

Just taking the piss out mate. Obviously I don't know them, how intelligent they are, or how much Burberry they wear.

Just like the U.S. version, anyone that can rise above the culture of the Estates and doesn't get trapped there is A-ok in my book.

To be fair to you, alot of them are also chavs haha.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

20 times would be 100,000, so that's right isn't it?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

TsarAleksi posted:

1D mark III is rated to 300,000.

Wow, that's one of the reasons you pay so much more then.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Found this iPhone app today that I kind of want to give a try.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/plastic-bullet/

Since (my 3G) iPhone has such a lovely camera, turning it into a lomo-kind of thing is sort of appealing. Not sure how I feel about it being faked, but I'm not such a purist that I don't enjoy some of the stuff coming out of the app :)

Kind of like Holga for your iPhone.

Hipstamtic is really good for that sort of thing, quite slow at times though. But well worth a try.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

http://punctum.ro/expozitii/penitenciarul-de-femei-tirgsor#1

Saw this on gizmodo this morning, 14 female convicts, six digital cameras and one Romanian prison.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

brad industry posted:

I had 2 archive drives fail on the exact same day and S3 saved about 4 years worth of images that I otherwise would have lost.

(or at least recovering them would have been a lot more money/effort/pain than hitting "Restore" in JungleDisk).

Your doing it wrong, you need at least 3 drives for backup :suicide:

But seriously sometimes poo poo happens, having your stuff in the cloud always helps, i think 2 backup drives and another in cyberspace somewhere is more than enough, if that doesn't help, the stress of worrying about a 4th storage method would just kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Any good photography/art podcasts I should be listening to while where on the subject?