Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Hot Cops posted:

The funny thing is, with the exception of the HORRENDOUS ones, most of those are par for the course if you do a search for <Firstname Lastname> Photography in Facebook groups and fan pages

Don't even start with those god drat groups.there was one I saw recently with every photo (all 250 of them, mostly of the same horse in the same field eating the same grass)were all out of focus and/or under exposed.
and there was tons of comments along the lines of "Wow! you're so amazing!" "OMG THIS PICTURE IS PURFECT!" "these r so awsome!!!1"

It pisses me off so much.

or this guy.
http://tinyurl.com/y8z8huu
gently caress. THIS. GUY.

hate hate hate hate this guy. Not only is he poo poo, and all his work is boring, everyone thinks he's a loving photography god. But anyone that's actually met the guy thinks he's a big friggin creep (a few models I know worked with him once, and he tried pressuring them into doing nude work, even after they told him they didn't want to), and every person with any idea about anything photography related can't stand the guy either.

Oh yeah, AND he charges the people 5 bucks a pop to get their picture taken, FOR HIS PROJECT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

UserNotFound posted:

What's up with her fat/skinny arm?
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs244.snc1/9132_1100131557172_1643179013_279989_1976968_n.jpg

Ummm
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs244.snc1/9132_1099468460595_1643179013_278339_4880392_n.jpg

I could take headshots of 1111 people in a year, but I guess the idea is to get 1111 suckers to give you $5!

Judging from what's on there, he should cut it down to 111 instead of 1111, and THEN he might have mostly pretty good pics... Some are good shots of faces, and others are just generic portraits or absurd poo poo, ITS 1111 FACES, STEP IT UP!!!

No, he already did 111 LAST year.
http://tinyurl.com/ylklwju

gently caress him.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Sorry to break into the hate fest, but I just found 3 rolls of film, and it has expired to take out the N2000. I also found some prints I did in highschool, and they aren't that bad. I miss having darkroom access.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
this poo poo womps.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Hey lets stop with the fag talk. Here's camera stuff!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/21/enthusiastic-shutterbug-immortalizes-nikon-on-his-forearm/

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
these are much better taco photos. :colbert:
http://henderob.com/

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
last night I connected my D80 and SB-600 for teh first time wirelessly, and I'm really surprised by it. worked pretty good.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
This song plays on repeat when I do any post work on my HDR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVUHWCynig

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

pwn posted:

While riding a fixed gear, smoking a clove/American Spirit (bonus points for adding your own ground cloves to AS rollies) and listening to Bright Eyes.

I don't think Bright Eyes is a good choice.

More like The Ting Tings or MGMT. And wearing a cardigan and a childrens shirt found in a Vintage clothing store.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I keep mine either on my desk beside the laptop. but all my other stuff is on my shelf/in my bag depending on the day.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I've been feeling so lovely lately about my photography. I've barely shot in the last 3-4 months, and when I do I delete 99% of it because I'm not happy with it. I'm starting to feel like all my stuff is horrible, even stuff I used to like, or have gotten lots of positive reviews about. Does this happen to any of you guys, and what do you do to get out of it?

I almost just want to quit my job, pack up my poo poo and move to the other side of the country and just see what happens.

(sorry this isn't very fun discussion, but I didn't really know where to ask...)

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
soo I got an alert on my phone saying someone posted on my wall...

What do I even say to this?!

The pictures were just pictures taken at a keg party with my kit lens and my SB-600, bouncing it or even off camera.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
my friend just posted this on facebook. thought you uys would get a laugh too.

http://www.break.com/index/that-doesnt-make-you-a-model-song.html

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

WTF is this Forums Cancer poo poo.

This.

Also, just got my chinese knock off battery grip for the D80 60 bucks from Deals Extreme. Works great so far. feels nice and sturdy, when I first held it it felt light anf flimsy, but once I put it on the camera, anf but the batteries in, it felt really nice.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
sooo I just bought a Mac Book, do you think if I call adobe they'll let me switch my license? or would the same key work with both versions??

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

The awesome part of the gearfaggotry phase is that if you're loving broke as hell it only lasts for 3 days while you read about $6,000 Hasselblad lenses and sulk.

yeah my big splurge was a chinese battery grip and a used 55-200 non-vr.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
oh hey, I don't remember if you guys remember NICK GAINES PHOTOGRAPHY, where everything is over exposed at least 2 full stops, but he's got a new project now. Oh no never mind it's the same thing. And this time he's gonna charge you 10 bucks to model for his project!

gently caress this guy makes my blood boil.

Look at these so far!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=47713&id=1643179013

seing poo poo like this really makes me hate my own work.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Why would you hate your own work after seeing that?
PEOPLE PAY HIM!

no one pays me
:(

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Just got a new tattoo on friday.

Only had time for the line work, gonna be going back in a few weeks to get the shading done.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I'm hosting with Bounce Web (also in SA-Mart)
They give goons 50% off and I haven't had a single problem with them.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

tuyop posted:

I want a Canon 100mm macro so bad but I just KNOW that I would only take some pictures of electronics and then probably never use it again.

Another option is like a Sigma 300mm or some other long prime. Because I like birds. :3:

I owe several thousand this year because of an inheritance so I probably won't be buying anything though.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but you live in halifax right? I'm moving there tomorrow and am wondering about the cool spots... Photo wise and just to chill and have a few beer. I don't have PMs so if you could email me at mattt at matttphoto.com I'd really appreciate it.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
So I've decided I wanted a small film camera to keep with me as I'd like to shoot film, as I haven't done it since like the first year I was into photography, and I find a Yashica Lynx-5000 for 20 bucks with a 45mm f/1.7 and a hotshoe flash. Worth it Y/N? It seems that the Yashika Electros are quite desirable but I can't fin much about the Lynx-5000.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

General Gingersnap posted:

"What do you mean instant film is being phased out?" :qq:

Ps, those that have nifty-fifties, how long have yours held out? I have had mine for almost three years now and I am wondering how long I should expect it to last. I use it a lot :(

I've got a 50 2.0 from the 80's that is still kickin rear end on my N2000

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Visiting my grandfather today, and he gave me his old camera I didn't know he still had!

Asahi Pentax SP-1000
Takumar 50mm f1.4
Takumar 135mm f3.5
Vivtar 2x Teleconverter

Shutter seems to fire fine, just need to get a battery for the meter. Thank god my grandfather's smart and he took the old battery out before storing it. I'm excited to pick up a battery and start shooting with it.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Haggins posted:

Then shoot bands you like to practice. Don't take a "job" from someone who is just trying to finagle free work out of you.

If I had 0 experience shooting bands, or was trying to get more experience shooting bands, I would totally do it. I'd rather get into a show for free, shoot the bands that play and get them to use pics that have my name/site on them than pay 5 bucks or what ever cover and take pictures of the band then upload them to a flickr album that 4 people will see.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I had the most :psyduck: moment the other talking to a co-worker as she's a model outside of work, she does fantasy stuff, has been a guest at comicon and tons of other ones (if you're into that stuff), lots of experience, she's been doing it for over 10 years now. And we were just talking about contracts/model release. She told me that she makes all photographers sign a contract she's had written up, that basically says she owns all rights to the images. And everyone she's worked with has signed it.

It just blew my mind. How could anyone agree to that? "Why yes, I would love to pay you for your time to model, and I wish to gain nothing from it, why not?"

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

squidflakes posted:

If you have PM or don't mind sharing her name with the class, let me know who it is. Chances are, I know and have worked with her, being the sort of neckbeard that works those events. I'd be happy to let you know if she's full of poo poo.

I don't have PMs unfortunately. but she's on this list

http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/celebrity/top-10-fantasy-art-models_2.html
and is an even number, between 3 and 1

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
So my friend got dicked over by her wedding photographer, but there's nothing on paper so there isn't much she can really do about it. Basically she was told she was paying for photography and edits, then got a DVD with un-edited photos. Photographer says she did "light processing" and that she never agreed to do that so she's lucky she got what she did. I agreed to help her out and do some editing as she's a long time friend, and I don't mind editing.

I pop in the DVD and open them up, so I've got about 500 jpegs, some having been deleted, and nothing looks edited. I can only assume that by "light editing" she means she deleted stuff that wasn't focused properly? Who knows. But I continue on, I open up the photos in LR, and settings on them are all over the place. She must have shot on Auto, and have some ridiculous settings. This wedding was in late afternoon in the middle of August and there's stuff shot at like 1600 ISO, then the next picture will be 320 ISO, this is ridiculous andI would kill for the photos in RAW format with some of this grain.

TL;DR - I hate lovely wedding photogs, and now I need to clean up her mess.

*Edit: Oh, and it was shot on a Rebel with the kit lens, and anytime the flash fired it was the built in flash. :suicide:

Four Banger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 18, 2012

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Can you ask for the RAWs?

:lol: oh there probably weren't any RAWs to begin with :(

Yeah I severely doubt there were ever any RAW images taken.

A5H posted:

How much did she pay?

$500
---------

I think she regrets asking me to DJ the reception instead of photographing it all.

Also as a side thought, I'll never DJ a wedding reception again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm pretty sure that the standards for what constitutes a crime are far lower on a television fake judge show than actual small claims court. All of this is probably a pretty useless idea. Nor a very good post.

Although really, unless she actually showed samples of someone else's work before being hired, they probably should have been able to spot this (if they actually looked at previous work before hiring). And if they didn't look at her previous work, then, uh...

From what I understood, the woman who did it is a friend of the grooms family, or friend of a friend, or something.

Either way, I'm fixing someone else's mess. But it'll make a good friend smile (not to mention it'll make me a few bucks).

And she's some how mastered the art of making bouquets look... grey.

EDIT: HOW CAN SOMEONE BE THIS BAD AT FOCUSING?!

Four Banger fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 19, 2012